They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio Problems & Q's

Premiere Pro discussions.

Audio Problems & Q's

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:55 am

This is under Pro, but may apply to PrEl too. Finished a DVD with 3 songs and menu audio. It all sounded even on my computer 2 speakers. Had fades on the songs, but did not change any volume overall.

The audio sounds consistent played back on the computer and on a TV. But, when played back on a TV with surround sound the audio is way too low on the menu and one of the 3 songs is too loud. One song was way too low and the fade in was almost non existent. When I say too loud or too soft I am using the audio from the video as a correct reference point of how the volume should be. I did change the camcorder audio to 16bit. I did change the menu audio from MP3 to wav...not sure if that makes a diff.

Why is the surround sound off? Should I invest in speakers for my computer? Does it make a diff if one song is off a CD and another has been purchase thru a download? Do I need to be using a diff codec with audio? Audio is a big grey area for me so please water it down. Thanks :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Audio Problems & Q's

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:29 am

Cheryl,

Is the Audio on the DVD stereo, or did you encode it to DD 5.1 SS with the SurCode plug-in in PrPro?

If stereo, did you Burn to DVD with AC3 DD, or did you set the Audio to PCM/WAV?

In general, your workflow matches mine pretty closely. I seldom work with any MP3's, other than very brief SFX files, but when I do, I always convert to WAV for Import. As my Audio is almost always DD 5.1 SS (SurCode encoder), I Export as an AC3 DD elemental stream file for Import into Encore.

I usually attenuate my Menu Audio by about -3db from the Video's Audio, as I want it to be background.

I also do some DTS secondary Audio Tracks on a few DVD's. One thing that I have noticed is that on my home theater system, the DTS is a bit louder, than is the DD 5.1 SS, though they are encoded from the same Project Audio settings. I use SurCode DTS encoder for this. The difference could be one from the characteristics of the two different SurCode encoder, or it could be a difference in how my Marantz handles a DD 5.1 SS AC3 vs a DTS, as different circuitry is in play in the unit. I do not know which it is, in my case. I just know to be ready to turn the Audio down a bit (probably < -3db), when I choose the DTS secondary Track. Playback equipment can do some things differently.

In your case, I would anticipate a level difference between your computer and your home theater, but I would also expect it to be uniform, i.e. either too loud, or too soft, but for the total DVD and not mixed, as you report.

Maybe something in the answers to the upper questions will help someone help you.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:30 am

Hi Cheryl, Did you create the DVD in Premiere Pro with Surround Sound or just standard Dolby Stereo?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:55 pm

The DVD was made in Pro, exported as an AVI and burned in PE3 at whatever the default settings. I use Encore about 1/2 the time to burn and PE3 the rest. One reason is PE3 auto the menu button based on markers. I do not have Photoshop so cannot open folders in PSE5 to change and have to make changes in Encore and am not that fast in Encore.

If I remember correctly, Bill uses the AC3 ?? for audio 5.1. Looked into that and the codec is $200 and that is why I didn't worry too much about audio whether it was stereo or 5.1. And, only have 2 speakers w/computer so would need surround speakers to edit in 5.1....correct?

Really confused about this. What are my options that do not require buying anything? Thanks
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:19 pm

Don't play the DVD in Surround Sound ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:21 pm

My guess would be that two things could come into play:

1.) the method that your player and receiver uses to recreate the stereo into the Surround arena

2.) the setup of the reciever

Either/both could affect the playback Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:55 am

Bill, you are correct. Changed the settings on the receiver and it played with better sound. One song is still a little low, but not as noticeable. The strange thing is one of the surround sound settings kicks off the dvd back to the main menu within 5 seconds of playing and does this with commercial DVDs too.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:45 am

That's what I meant by
Don't play the DVD in Surround Sound ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Cheryl,

Glad that it sorted fine. Few systems get fully calibrated, and can differ greatly. Also, some turn on with Modes, that are not the best for DVD-Videos.

When I had my system set up, I worked with the installers, as they were going for much too much punch. I did not want my experience to be like one of the Disney rides, where one gets sensory overload instantly. Also, I find that the mixes in too many commercial discs is way over the top. I mix for my DVD-Videos to be down just a bit, and Menu Audio and Button Transition Audio, is even lower. I'd rather that I, or a client, turns UP the volume a bit, rather than grab quickly for the remote to turn it DOWN. I also mix the dialog up a tad, and will feed some to the Center, plus the Phantom Center. Most commercial mixers seem to want all dialog in a whisper, so their LFE's scare the heck out of the audience. Just not my style at all.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro