They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

[New to Pro] Quick question

Premiere Pro discussions.

[New to Pro] Quick question

Postby tiny » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 pm

So I had a web dev class that required one of the Adobe bundles, in which I realized for $250 more I could have the complete Master Collection (student edition), so of course I grabbed it.

Now I have Premier Pro, but so far I have hit one major wall that makes me shake my head in disbelief: I must be missing something.

Premier Elements allows you to make your own custom presets for rendering out media, whether it be Flash, Mpeg, etc; You can tweak almost everything. When I go to export from Premier Pro, I see for example that exporting of an Mpeg has several options. I select NTSC, WS, 30FPS, but then there are other options like the bit rate that I would like to mess with. The quality is set on low, where do I change that? There are tons of details in the summary of what it will export as, but where do I tweak these? You can tweak this in Elements, my assumption was that I would have even more freedom and options in Pro, am I wrong?

What am I missing?

Thanks
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: [New to Pro] Quick question

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:30 pm

The Adobe Media Encoder
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:The Adobe Media Encoder

:-5

I'm an idiot. I was thinking Encore was the only thing to send the file to, forgot all about media encoder.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby tiny » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:45 pm

I was just surprised that dynamic link doesn't have media encoder as an option.

Further more, I noticed that there is a little arrow that when clicked, will allow you to adjust the presets. It just wasn't very obvious.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 pm

As of CS4, the AME (Adobe Media Encoder) is now a stand-alone program. In previous versions of PrPro, it was built in, and was probably a bit more intuitive. However, one big plus is that, like with AfterEffects, one can load up the Render Queue and "batch" Render - neat. One bad thing is that now getting a captured still-frame from a video takes more steps, as you have to open AME and Export from there. This is supposed to change with the upcoming 4.1.0 update, so that a simple still-frame Export can be done from within PrPro, without AME. Do not know for sure that this will be in the final update's "fixes list," but it is rumored to be.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby tiny » Sat May 02, 2009 2:13 am

That's great news on the update, I was wondering why I couldn't export a still frame . . ..
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat May 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Tiny,

You still can, but not without a bunch of extra clicks. Something that was pretty simple got bolloxed up with the new AME. I'd bet that there was an "Oh heck!" moment, just after the release of CS4, by the design team. At least they agree that a still frame Export should NOT be so difficult and announced that they'll soon fix it. Though I am not a fan of "big button" programs, for this function, I like the way that other NLE's manage it - one button, check the specs of the file to be generated, and you're there. Do not know exactly what the process will be in 4.1, but anything should be welcome.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby tiny » Sat May 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Well I followed some tutorials, and it always would failed to render, which apparently from my reading online, I'm not alone.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro