They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

media & scratch discs

Premiere Pro discussions.

media & scratch discs

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:04 pm

Have the scratch discs set to same as project. Understand the folders and why, etc.

The media is set to default of c drive....adobe>common>media cache. There is an option to 'clean'. When should this be done? How often? Should this also be set to same as project? Why are there 2 media cache? (one under the project and the other on the c drive)

Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: media & scratch discs

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:49 pm

That's a darn good question, Cheryl, and one I've often wondered myself.

According to Adobe's help library, the Media Cache is one of the Scratch Disk files.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereEle ... 24F69.html

As the article says, Media Cache is the folder or disk for audio peak files, audio conform files, video index files, and other files Adobe Premiere Elements creates to improve performance when reading media files.

I'm sure someone knows more than I why this needs to be cleared on occasion, but apparently, like many dynamic files, it just gets junked up or corrupted once in a while and needs to be recreated.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:13 pm

From my perspective, it NEVER gets cleaned. I put each project in a separate folder and each project then creates a Media Cache folder within that folder. I then just delete the Media Cache prior to archiving the folder offline. If you use the same Media Cache folder for every project, I believe it will accumulate until you manually clean it out.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:14 pm

OOps, I see this is in the Pro Forum. Not sure then...

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 pm

There seems to be 2 media cache files. One under Media and the other one under Scratch Discs. I'll check it on occasion as I accumulate projects and see what is in there. Did read a note that if there is a problem, to try and delete the cache files to see if this helps. Just didn't want my c drive to start filling up.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:39 am

Bob, I think it applies to PrEl too. :-k
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 am

After searching the adobe forum, found a post that said to have the media cache files on separate drives. Didn't find anything on routine clean.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4b93d/18

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c0614f1/2
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Maxine370 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:02 am

Awesome question. Not sure we have a clear understanding yet, but thanks for clearing up a few points. The one thing that really gets me is how many BIG files are created when working on a project.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:32 pm

Cheryl,

I also place my Scratch Disk files in my Project folder, along with a copy of all Assets. The Media Cache folders can be cleaned out any time that you wish. They will be re-created by PP, when you open that Project again. However, you may want to keep them around, until you are sure that your Project is complete, to save the re-indexing, re-conforming and re-rendering anything. If I think I'm likely to have to come back, and it's a big Project, I'll even archive them to an external. Uses more HDD space, but saves some time, if I need to bring up the Project with a client looking over my shoulder.

Now, why do you have two Media Cache files? My *guess* is that you did a previous Project, without setting your Preferences to that folder, a test, some early Project, before you adopted your current workflow, maybe? I do not get a second set of Media Cache files, only the ones that I set the location of, in the Project folder.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Thanks Bill for the reply. Just got Pro and have my projects set to D drive.

If you go to File>Edit>Preferences> brings up a long list. On this list is Media and that brings up Media Cache Database with a clean option button and the default is C>documents....>common.

On the list too is Scratch Discs. In this one the default is 'same as project' which I put project files on the D drive.

So not sure why there is Media Cache Database along with Media cache file under scratch discs.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Cheryl,

Under Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks, there are six locations:
Captured Video
Captured Audio
Video Previews
Audio Previews
Media Cache
DVD Encoding

By default, these are set to C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\My documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\[Version #, like 2.0]\. If you chose “Project New,” that is where PP places the first folder system. If you Capture, Render, etc., that Project, it’s files will be there. Now, if all you did was start a Project (Project New), PP will write the structure, but if you change your Preferences, if will not wipe out that structure, just create it again where you have now selected. There is no “Clean” function on this menu.

There is also the Media Cache from Edit>Preferences>Media, and this is selectable too. That is also one that I point to my Project folder system. Some folk find a bit of a performance benefit, if this is set to a different HDD. This one has the “Clean” function on its menu. At least all locations are able to be set. I go through all of these, when I set up my Project initially, usually with my client’s name and a Project name. I build the structure and then Copy all Assets, should they be stored elsewhere on my system.

Depending on what you did, prior to changing the Preferences, there should be very little in the My Documents\\\2.0 folder structure. Check this out, and if there is something in there, it is likely from the first Project(s), that you did, upon installation. This is providing that you changed your Preferences in both spots and early on.

When I am ready to Export, I do so to two subfolders: “Finished AVIs” and “Finished AC3s.”

My Project folder structure would look something like this:
[Client name + Project name]
Below would be:
Video
Audio
SFX
Still Images
And, I’d let PP build my Media Cache and Scratch Disks beneath [Client name + Project Name].

Premiere is really good about not spreading too much around, unlike Pinnacle Studio, which finds all sorts of locations to store various files. I found it almost easier to reformat a HDD, than try and track down everything that it wrote.

If I am going to Encore for output to DVD, I set its Project up the same way, within the structure of the client and Project. If I am bringing in other Assets, like Menus, I build sub-folders for these Assets. Encore also builds its own subfolder structure in the location that I choose - my Project folder.

If you are concerned about eliminating any of the files, Project>Project Manager can help you to archive your Project safely. I have used it, but often rely on a straight Copy via Windows Explorer to one of my external “storage” HDDs. This includes copies of all of my Assets, as well.

There may be subtle differences, should you not be on PP2 (CS2), like I am. I think that CS3 is very close, but do not have it, hence no way to check.

Hope that this helps you. The beauty of setting everything up under the Project is that you can then handle everything by doing a Copy, or a Delete of the main folder, and everything else will follow.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I learned the hard way last year on PrEl3 not organizing folders and had projects mixed together. Now have a folder for each project with sub folders similar to your structure.

As for the six categories under scratch discs, those are set to project. Have not changed the other Media and still as at its default on the c drive. I did see a tutorial on Lynda about this and think it said to leave on separate drives. Not sure and my free trial subscription is up. It did not go into much detail about the clean feature or why.

Not sure what 'finished AVI's' or 'Finished AC3s" that you mentioned. Usually when I finish a project, I save as a DV-AVI and then make a new project and burn to a folder. Seems faster.

Thanks!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Cheryl,

All of my Projects go to Encore2 to be burned to DVD, unless I'm outputting to some other medium.

I do things pretty much the same way, unless the Project really dictates othewise.

1.) Edit my "chapters" as individual Sequences, in PP2
2.) Export each Sequence via Export>Movie (Chapter) to DV-AVI elemental stream (Video Only)
3.) Export each Sequence through Expotr>Adobe Media Encoder (AME) as AC3 5.1 eletmental stream (Audio Only)
4.) Import the DV-AVI into Encore2 as Timeline
5.) Import AC3 into Encore2 and add to appropriate Timeline

In PP2, I have all of my Assets in appropriate Bins: Video, Audio, SFX, Music, Still Images, Titles. Same thing for "housekeeping" in Encore2, with the addition of Menus and often DTS Audio for a second Audio Track. By sticking with this workflow, I have yet to have any errors in Encore2, and have never had a Project not burn correctly. If I need something that Encore2 can't do, like using multiple burners, I'll burn to folder, and then use Nero, Gear or ImgBurn.

I have been experimenting with using a file server between PP2 and Encore2, but still do everything else the same. Sometimes on simple Projects, I'll see how quickly I can do this, almost blindfolded. Once Export from PP2 has been completed, and any Menus customized in PS, it takes me about 15 minutes, before I'm burning, and this includes setting up my Bins. With involved Projects, I do a Flowchart in Illustrator, to make sure that I've got everything lined up, re: navigation. These AI files also allow my clients a chance to sign off on the navigation.

Hope that you enjoyed Premiere Pro enough to strongly consider it as your NLE. CS3 not incorporates Encore3 (used to be a standalone). A few extra features have been added, but I will wait for CS4, before I upgrade my Production Studio suite.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS as far as the one Media Cache file, if you have enough HDDs, you might pick up a bit of speed by putting it on another HDD. I set it to Project, but many others use a third HDD. The reason for this is that the bus to a controller card, say a SATA II, is faster than having any one HDD trying to do too much work. If your OS, your PP and the OS's Page File is on C:\, it's already pretty busy. If all other files are spread on appropriate HDDs, the load is spread. That is why I have 5 internals on my workstation, and 3 internals on my laptop - spread the processing load. I do not think that I have had a single HDD system in 15, or more years. For me, it's plenty, big and fast.
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks for the info on the organized workflow. Will print that out and try it. I have had a similar workflow, but not to that extent.

There are problems if you move/rename/delete an asset. Learned this early on with PE3. I bring assets into the project folder except motion backgrounds or music. Good idea to copy those into the project folder. If I am using pictures from my 2 daughter's files, I copy them to a folder for use in photoshop elements. Just in case they delete something from their folder, mine has not been touched. Also, when resizing pics in PE5, those are placed into a folder in PE3 project and not in my organizer. That way I can delete the project assets and not effect my PE5 organizer.

Next project in Pro will use your workflow with the folders. Thanks for the input!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Premiere Pro