They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adding files to Encore

Premiere Pro discussions.

Adding files to Encore

Postby karri » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:31 pm

I am creating a BluRay disc in Encore CS6 that will consist of several separate video clips (several different songs of a musician performance)

Is it better practice to add rendered files one at a time in Encore, or to add all the individual sequences to a new sequence (timeline) in PPro CS6, add chapter markers, and export that timeline to Encore? Or render the timeline to BR format and then add to Encore?

I've watched a couple of Encore videos and am not clear on this point, although mostly those videos are working with movies, not discrete music performances.

Thanks again in advance! :)

karri
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding files to Encore

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi karri, I was hoping someone could answer your question. I am still burning discs even tho I have a bluray burner. So my answer is based on my current workflow.

Reading the CCow forums when I first got Encore, the theory was that Encore does a better job compressing than AME. One reason is to let Encore do the bit budgeting. If you compress first from PrPro then the files may be larger than the disc. This should hold true for HD.

I export my HD files to uncompressed WS-AVI, scale to fit. Import the first one as a timeline and the rest of the sequences as assets. Add the assets (AVIs) to the timeline, set chapter markers, set poster frames, etc. I rarely use the playlist feature. In PrPro for each sequence I add a small black matte for the fade out and leave about 1 second plus a few more frames with 100% opacity. The beginning I start the fade in about 6 frames. That way when played on the disc from one section to the next there is a small amount of black video.

One reason to add each segment separately is if you need to re-edit in PrPro then use the replace asset feature in Encore.

I hated Encore at first, but now that I have my own workflow it is fairly easy. I am sure others may have a better way since I tend to do things the long way.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby karri » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 am

Hi Cheryl! Thanks so much for the reply. I'm not finding WS-AVI in my export options list? Generally I would use use H.264 for BluRay, but I read that MPG2 for BluRay is better to use for shorter projects? This project will only be about 32 mins total.

I tried sending from PPro to be able to use the dynamic link (as there 's always something I need to fix later), but it seems I had to make a whole new project doing that and I didn't want to start over. So glad you pointed out the Replace Asset feature! That will probably be the way to go for me.

I let the entire project render overnight from one PPro sequence (I had already started it before I read your response), so I will bring that in to Encore and give it a try. Still, one at a time as you said would probably be the best way for me, regardless.

Thanks again for the tips! :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:15 am

Hi Karri,
Uncompressed AVI would be a good format, in CS3 it is exported from the File > Export > Movie option.
You can also use Adobe Media Encoder and export to MPEG for BluRay, I've used that also and it will work great in Encore.
Be sure to select the correct quality and frames per second as the default might not match your project or media.

Exporting from Premiere and then importing the assets into Encore was always the best method, at least for version CS3 and prior.
Encore did a much better job, as Cheryl said earlier. Not sure if that is still the case as I have found no need to upgrade yet.
Encore will produce BluRay discs and DVDs with great quality from the exported HD MPEG files.

If you need to edit the video again just be sure to name it the same when exporting and overwrite the previous, Encore will automatically know that the asset has been replaced with a new version.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:23 am

karri, just to clear this up the WS-AVI is for SD and not BD. Export an uncompressed BD file from PrPro and import that file to Encore. Let Encore do the compressing transcoding.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby karri » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Just getting back on computer now, so will try these suggestions. Thank you Chuck and Cheryl so much for all the advice! I'll let you know how I make out :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:55 pm

If you have dynamic link then that may be your best option. No need to render out a separate file for Encore.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby karri » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:54 am

Thanks Cheryl, I do have dynamic link, what a cool feature. I'm using it more and more as I learn how everything is connected.

I used the sequence with all the performances in one timeline that I output as MPG2 for BluRay. It retained the chapter markers I added in PPro and all I had to do was drag the chapter markers to the menu items, and add a return to menu link on the last one. I've burned a BluRay and a DVD of the project to images so far so good. Hopefully tonight I can burn them to actual discs and try them out (they play fine on the pc). I'd like to try out the other methods you and Chuck mentioned as well, time permitting.

Thanks again, fingers crossed they will play on the TV :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby karri » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 pm

ok a small snag ... The internet say there is a check box somewhere in Encore that says "Automatically Route Buttons" and I need to turn it off so I can manually fix a button that goes back to the first button instead of the last button (which I added subsequent to finishing the menu).

Can anyone tell me how to find this check box? I know sounds simple but I cannot find it :conf:
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 pm

aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby karri » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks Cheryl, I feel so stupid lol but it says

Change the routing order

When you turn off automatic routing, you can manually set the path for the remote control through the menu buttons. You display the routing icons in the Menu Viewer.

I can't figure out how to turn off automatic routing?

And things were going so well :eek:
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:04 pm

When the menu is selected, the checkbox to turn off auto routing is in the properties panel:
autoroute.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby karri » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:28 am

haha I feel really dumb! :fg:

I love you guys! Thank you, Bob! :TU:
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro