They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Nested Sequences, Source Patching, Targeting Tracks-HELP

Premiere Pro discussions.

Nested Sequences, Source Patching, Targeting Tracks-HELP

Postby bryanedmondson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:55 am

Has anyone used the Adobe Premier Pro CC (creative cloud yet?) I am having trouble learning some new features in Premiere Pro CC. I am also having problems, in that I did not learn all previous features in CS 6.

First: Basics: I do not fully understand what a CS5, or CS6 Nested Sequence actually is. I understand the concept of combining sequences in one timeline, but is that a destructive process or do all source files in nested sequences retain their key frames, settings, and effects? I am totally lost.

In Adobe Premiere CC there is literature on the Reference PDF of using storyboard bin layouts, automating them to a sequence, and then working with such sequences in the source monitor in a non destructive way. It sounds good but I do not know exactly how to wrap my brain around combined sequences. Are they like pointers in C++ programming, which are just links to a remote datum?

Currently I have a 15 sec clip of a horse race around the final corner. The clip is in slow motion. I really enjoy this clip for experimenting with key frames and effects, as it lends itself to this quite well.
I have used special effects to create about 8 different versions of this same 15 second slow mo horse race clip. I exported each on as an avi, and imported them back into a new project.

I put the many variations (using effects on the clip) one one timeline in one sequence. Sequence_All_Horse Races, has a timeline with horse 1 pastel.avi , horse 2 neon.avi , horse 3 psychedelic.avi, horse 4 electricy avi. Each is very unique. Then the last three are the same clip which the effect filter used "find edges." animations. They are the last three white crude animation duplicate clips of the horse race and each duplic plays like wood burn cuts as moving outlines in a crude.horse race animation.

My point of question is how can I retain my original timeline of all 4 color effects source clips, and include 3 edge duplicates at the end and experiment with them. (I want to take sequences, and work with parts of the original (master timeline containing the originals) I believe their is a way in CC to work with something called source patching and target tracking to achieve this.

SEE DIAGRAM AT BOTTOM OF PAGE AT LINK PLEASE
I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO LINK ON THIS SERVER
SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

http://noodletoes.com/2013/06/24/your-chance-to-be-a-film-critic/

SEE DIAGRAM
Computer Specs: Dell XPS8500, Intel i7-3970X 15M Cache 4.00 GHz, RAM 64 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB Memory, System Volume: 1TB SATA 10,00 RPM Raid 0 Array, Scratch Disk: 240 GB Intel SSD Raid 0 Array,OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
bryanedmondson

Re: Nested Sequences, Source Patching, Targeting Tracks-HELP

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:09 am

Basics: I do not fully understand what a CS5, or CS6 Nested Sequence actually is. I understand the concept of combining sequences in one timeline, but is that a destructive process or do all source files in nested sequences retain their key frames, settings, and effects? I am totally lost.

A sequence is a time line. You can have multiple sequences in the same project and they can be independent of each other or you can place a sequence within another sequence. Placing a sequence within another sequence is called nesting. Nesting is nondestructive. The nested sequence acts as a wrapper that presents the contents as if it were a single piece of footage. You can do anything to a nested sequence that you can do to footage, but those changes will not be passed through to the nested sequence's original time line. If you modify the nested sequence's timeline, changes will be reflected in all the sequences in the project in which it's nested.

In Adobe Premiere CC there is literature on the Reference PDF of using storyboard bin layouts, automating them to a sequence, and then working with such sequences in the source monitor in a non destructive way. It sounds good but I do not know exactly how to wrap my brain around combined sequences. Are they like pointers in C++ programming, which are just links to a remote datum?

It's not really storyboarding. What they are talking about is placing footage into a bin using the icon view, arranging the footage in order, and using the "automate to sequence" feature to load the footage into a sequence. You've been able to do this for a while. Footage can be clips or sequences. Like I said in the previous section, used this way a sequence is a wrapper. It's not like a C++ pointer, it's more like a function subroutine where the called function is replaced by the returned results. You can use the returned results in any way you want, but it does not affect what the function is doing internally.

I have used special effects to create about 8 different versions of this same 15 second slow mo horse race clip. I exported each on as an avi, and imported them back into a new project.

You could have done the same thing using nested sequences without having to export and reimport.

My point of question is how can I retain my original timeline of all 4 color effects source clips, and include 3 edge duplicates at the end and experiment with them. (I want to take sequences, and work with parts of the original (master timeline containing the originals) I believe their is a way in CC to work with something called source patching and target tracking to achieve this.

First of all, that's not what source patching and track targeting is about. See this tutorial. All you need is appropriately nested sequences containing what you want to test with. Remember, nested sequences are like footage. You can place them multiple times in the same timeline, trim them, apply effects, etc.. Decide what you want and figure out how to organize it to accomplish that.
Bob

Postby bryanedmondson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Bob, Once again, I did not quite know what my question was well enough to ask it properly, but you managed to give back answers and suggestions that resolved my problems

Thanks for the link to the tutorial; had cleared up a number of misconceptions I had about source patching and targeting tracks. I was thrilled as I learned new actions for “paste inserts” and “sync lock,” which will be very helpful

Bob, you have a knack for decoding abstruse reference literature, and presenting it in common sense terms, in simple English. Your analogies are also in parallel with such corresponding exactitude,

bryanedmondson wrote:
Such as” …used this way a sequence is a wrapper. It's not like a C++ pointer, it's more like a function subroutine where the called function is replaced by the returned results. You can use the returned results in any way you want, but it does not affect what the function is doing internally.”

Bob, I am surprised higher academia never snatched you up, put a tie around your neck, and tenured you into a corner office of some old, crumbling, rock building; one where ivy creeps up the walls.

You are a valued member of our community forum and I appreciate all that you do here.
Respectfully,
Bryan Edmondson
Computer Specs: Dell XPS8500, Intel i7-3970X 15M Cache 4.00 GHz, RAM 64 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB Memory, System Volume: 1TB SATA 10,00 RPM Raid 0 Array, Scratch Disk: 240 GB Intel SSD Raid 0 Array,OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
bryanedmondson

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Bob has a way of explaining complex things in plain English. :-D
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:20 pm

And I have a way of explaining simple things in complex English, so it all evens out. :mrgreen:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Premiere Pro