They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Encoding all the sequences in Adobe Media Encoder

Premiere Pro discussions.

Encoding all the sequences in Adobe Media Encoder

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 am

sequences.png
For some reason today, I'm not getting the Media Encoder to render the second sequence. What am I doing wrong? The second sequence is just black.

Silly me. I need therapy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Encoding all the sequences in Adobe Media Encoder

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:08 am

Could it be related to the light gray Work Area Bar, which is only over the first half of your movie?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 am

Here are three screen shots.
multiple-sequences-a.png
multiple-sequences-b.png
multiple-sequences-c.png

I'll tell you what, nobody's gonna get that big sloppy kiss on the top of the pate if I don't get a solution soon. I'm in a fix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 am

I am truly in bad need of help on this. That second sequence is not processing in the media encoder.
The first part of the video is the third sequence. It's nested in the first sequence. So, the composed video should come out in this order: the third sequence, the first, then the second.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:30 pm

Not sure I understand what your objectives are. Probably best to name your sequences something unique and meaningful. As I think was mentioned elsewhere, the crossed out stuff is usually because a sequence you have nested has been shortened. Why are you nesting sequences? I'm not saying you shouldn't but knowing why and what you specifically hope to achieve could well help.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:33 pm

I'd also be interested in knowing why you're using the Media Encoder as I've never used it. My timelines either go straight into Encore or I export if I'm going to Youtube or Vimeo. Just wondering and eager to learn. :)
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Briantho, since I do this all the time, I don't understand your questions. Adobe Media Encoder is normal. Nesting sequences is not a strategy of mine. It's just something I end up doing without knowing why. All I want to do is figure out what is the best way from now on. This problem is new to me.

Here's the thing--I have tried nesting and not nesting. So that's not my problem.. My problem is a great mystery.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 pm

OK, no Media Encoder discussion ;) Shame, I was hoping to find out why you're using it and then I'd have an easy lesson about it.

Anyway, nested sequences are good at times (I use them all the time but only for multicam stuff) but surely only for well defined reasons, yes? What is your reason for using them? You say you don't know why so don't use them. As mentioned before, it seems you've shortened something (difficult to say what with all the sequences being called the same) and that's why you have the crossed out stuff. Why this is not working with Media Encoder I don't know but then I'm no good on Media Encoder :(

I have to go out now so maybe someone else can help?
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm

That's the answer...not naming the sequences. Briantho and Peru, gracias. There's more to it than that, but that cracked the code.

Briantho, I use Adobe Media Encoder only because the Muvipix guys told me to. It's great. It's really great.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:28 pm

OK, great, glad you're moving along but indulge me, for what are you actually using Media Encoder, pray. I might be missing out on something good here!

I've read on the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum about clever people tweaking all sorts of parameters to get incredible output but frankly I get lots of happy feedback just EITHER importing sequences as timelines into Encore and using all the defaults OR exporting using the Youtube preset for when I post stuff over there. Of course there are other formats and other places to show stuff and maybe that's what you're doing but I've a feeling that anybody doing something other than what I'm doing seems to be adding extra steps unnecessarily when they use Media Encoder.

I have reasonable camcorders for the sort of things I do (videoing amateur plays and musicals as a hobby) and I could spend five times or more to get noticeably better kit (although I don't think I'll get FIVE times or more better results) but I've a feeling it's at that initial stage, the well understood camcorder stage, where the end result is going to ultimately look better, not by fiddling with a heap of parameters.

All the same, I wonder if there's a site or whatever that shows how much better all the tweaking stuff makes things by comparison with the boring but predictable, time-saving defaults?

Anyway, I shall consider my pate duly adorned with a medium sized sloppy kiss ;)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Briantho wrote:I'd also be interested in knowing why you're using the Media Encoder as I've never used it.

You can use AME to sequentially export sequences without having to export one, wait to finish, and then output another, etc.

If I have a DVDAS project with chapters, I export each chapter as a separate sequence and make a playlist to "play all."
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Looking at the screen shots all of the sequences are "Sequence 01". When you add a new sequence it should add as 02, 03, etc. :-k

Best to name each sequence. I name my main sequence that has all of the nested ones "Main Sequence".

Brian, I am confused why you wouldn't use AME to export to Youtube. That is what I use for my Vimeo and Facebook files.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Brian,

Max has a subscription website for language and culture videos he makes. And, he makes a lot of them. As far as I know, he doesn't do DVDs.

If you export to a file and do it in Premiere directly, you tie up Premiere for the duration of the encode/export. If you queue to Media Encoder, the encoding is done external to Premiere and Premiere is available to work on another Project immediately. Premiere doesn't even need to be running to do the export. Media Encoder really shines if you need to encode the same video project to multiple export formats. Media Encoder can encode and export them concurrently.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 am

momoffduty wrote:.....Best to name each sequence. I name my main sequence that has all of the nested ones "Main Sequence"....

That's how I work, too. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 am

Ah yes, it comes back to me now. I did use AME a few times last year but with concurrent projects running most of the time, having two reasonable Macs, being able to organize my workflow anyway I want and having a brain which can only manage a limited number of tools - I stopped using AME. Based on what Max wrote ("I use Adobe Media Encoder only because the Muvipix guys told me to") I got the impression he wasn't entirely sure of the tool and when I have a problem I strip what I'm doing down to the basics and avoid what I'm unsure about. That's just my approach.

Following on from my sort of workflow above, having found all the presets I could dream of within Premier Pro's Export (including masses for Youtube and Vimeo) I didn't look much further. I thought I'd stick with that but mainly because I'd just forgotten there was a choice.

Best wishes to all!
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Premiere Pro