They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Export Speed: PreE8 vs Pro (CS5)

Premiere Pro discussions.

Export Speed: PreE8 vs Pro (CS5)

Postby Margthecar » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:55 am

Hi this is more of a process check than a problem. I just exported as Widescreen SD DV-AVI my first project in Pro. It is about 13 minutes long and has multiple sequences, green screen effects, video timelines plus a couple of AE animated titles (*that* was fun!). I did not time it, but it seemed to take WAY longer than a similar length export did from PreE8, perhaps 20 to 30 minutes before it was done. I am just curious if this length of time is "normal" for this type of reasonably complicated project. Granted it has many more complicated effects that PreE allows, BUT it sill is only 13 minutes long and is standard def. My computer is using the CUDA graphics, but it is the lowest end card that does it due to my unfortunate underenergized power supply.

Like I said, I don't think this is a problem. I just want to get an idea of what is normal for rendering/exporting with Pro and to make sure it really is supposed to take this long. Then I can plan the appropriate coffee break when it comes time to export...... :-D
2.66 GHz Intel i7-920, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT440 1GB DDR5 (unlocked), 750 GB SATA HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Win7 64-bit, SD DV-AVI source video (still playing with HD), PrE8, CS5
Margthecar

Re: Export Speed: PreE8 vs Pro (CS5)

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:02 pm

The more graphics and effects you use the longer the rendering/export will take Marge.
Considering all that you had in that project the export time might not be considered unreasonable.
About 15 years ago it would have taken more than 48 hours to render your 13 minute project so 30 minutes is amazing in many ways :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Margthecar » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:About 15 years ago it would have taken more than 48 hours to render your 13 minute project

LOL. Forget the coffee break--I'm going to Vegas! (Every pun intended).

Yeah, I used to be an engineer and I had an old DOS program to do some very complicated calculations that I had to leave to run overnight. I remember the feeling of trepidation I had coming in the next morning to see whether the program had completed correctly or had errors.
2.66 GHz Intel i7-920, 12 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT440 1GB DDR5 (unlocked), 750 GB SATA HD (internal), 1TB HD (external), Win7 64-bit, SD DV-AVI source video (still playing with HD), PrE8, CS5
Margthecar

Postby momoffduty » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Margthecar wrote: plus a couple of AE animated titles (*that* was fun!). s

Anything to share? :-D Like Chuck posted the effects do add on export time and I would guess that the chroma key would be the biggest time issue.

Are you exporting for web or for Encore? For WS standard def projects to Encore I export as AVIs and it doesn't take very long. The export to h.264 will take longer.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Margthecar » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:32 pm

No nothing to share, my titles are just modifications of presets, so nothing original. But this was my first time using AE and my comment was meant to express my amazement/awe/horror/joy at seeing just how many adustable parameters even one character could have! For my modifications, it was quite a challenge figuring out how enough of it worked to get the effect I wanted, but I have a long way to go to become proficient at AE. I understand now how people can specialize in AE--there is a boatload of effects in there!

I do have ALOT of chroma key sequences, probably in 10 out of the 13 minutes, on multiple timelines within a sequence. I had to make one small change, then re-exported it. This time I chose "maximum render quality" (last time I did not) and it took about 40 minutes to export. Sounds like for my effects quantity, 40 minutes is reasonable so I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the tip about the h.264 format taking longer--I do export to the Web sometimes so it is good to keep in mind. Is that because of extra time needed to process the increased compression?

For this project, I must sheepishly admit I am exporting as a DV-AVI so I can do a DVD menu and DVD export in PrE8, which I know how to do quickly and easily. I am learning CS5 as I go and I don't have time to learn Encore before I need to mail out finished the DVDs. One step at a time......
Margthecar

Postby momoffduty » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Margthecar wrote: Thanks for the tip about the h.264 format taking longer--I do export to the Web sometimes so it is good to keep in mind. Is that because of extra time needed to process the increased compression?

For this project, I must sheepishly admit I am exporting as a DV-AVI so I can do a DVD menu and DVD export in PrE8, which I know how to do quickly and easily. I am learning CS5 as I go and I don't have time to learn Encore before I need to mail out finished the DVDs. One step at a time......

The h.264 is compressing and deinterlacing so that would take more time.

When I first got Pro I still used PrEl to edit a menu & burn quickly. Encore does have a learning curve, but it has many features & editing capabilities. I only use Encore now. The tuts at Lynda.com are very good.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:53 am

momoffduty wrote:....The tuts at Lynda.com are very good.

:tup: :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Premiere Pro