They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SOS: Win7 Disk Defragmenter Ignores Schedule

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

SOS: Win7 Disk Defragmenter Ignores Schedule

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:54 am

I've clicked Configure Schedule to activate recurrent automatic defragmentation, however, the instruction is ignored.

Any suggestions?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: SOS: Win7 Disk Defragmenter Ignores Schedule

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 am

That's odd. So, the Disk Defragmenter says scheduled defragmentation is turned off and you can't turn it on with the Configure Schedule button, right?

You can try the Task Scheduler to look at the actual defrag task and see if that gives you a clue. Click on the Start button and type task scheduler in the search box and press enter. That should bring up the Task Scheduler. In the left panel expand the Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, and Windows folders. That should expose a list of task folders and "Defrag" should be near the top. Click on that to display the ScheduledDefrag task in the middle panel. You'll probably need to maximize the program window. The display should display the status of the task and tell you when it is next scheduled and when it last ran. Are there any problems noted? Is it disabled? In the Actions panel on the right side, there is a Selected Item category. If it is not expanded, expand it and look at the list of acions under it. If "Enable" is present, click that to enable the action. "Enable" is present only if the task is disabled. If it is enabled, "Disable" will show instead.

Good luck.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Bob wrote:That's odd. So, the Disk Defragmenter says scheduled defragmentation is turned off and you can't turn it on with the Configure Schedule button, right?

Bob, the scheduler says it is ready to start but it does not actually do so--or, if it does start, it will merely tell me what % of a drive is defragmented but not then proceed to defragment it.

You can try the Task Scheduler to look at the actual defrag task and see if that gives you a clue. Click on the Start button and type task scheduler in the search box and press enter. That should bring up the Task Scheduler. In the left panel expand the Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, and Windows folders. That should expose a list of task folders and "Defrag" should be near the top.

It's #8 from the top.

Click on that to display the ScheduledDefrag task in the middle panel. You'll probably need to maximize the program window. The display should display the status of the task and tell you when it is next scheduled and when it last ran. Are there any problems noted? Is it disabled? In the Actions panel on the right side, there is a Selected Item category. If it is not expanded, expand it and look at the list of acions under it. If "Enable" is present, click that to enable the action. "Enable" is present only if the task is disabled. If it is enabled, "Disable" will show instead.

Disable is what is showing :-8

Good luck.

Thank you
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:50 am

What values of fragmentation is it reporting? It could be that the defragger runs but doesn't need to defragment. The Windows 7 defragger does not try to eliminate all fragmentation. Here's a MS article about the design goals and operation of the Windows 7 defragger: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 am

Bob wrote:What values of fragmentation is it reporting? It could be that the defragger runs but doesn't need to defragment. The Windows 7 defragger does not try to eliminate all fragmentation.

DD reported automatically (at 1am as configured) that Drive C was only 6% defragmented, so I was not surprised that no defragmentation was performed (the documentation says defrag needed only when greater thsan 10%).

But it also reported that Drive Q, my primary external drive for data, was 21% defragmented and did nothing about it.

And, it ignored Drives H, S and T, which is where I keep the mirror images and their backups of my C Drive, stating merely "never run."

Here's a MS article about the design goals and operation of the Windows 7 defragger: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

Very informative.

Here's a snip of the dialog (Drives S and T can't be seen). None of those defrags on Aug 1 was done automatically, despite leaving the machine on all night. The only activity that occurred automatically at 1am as configured was the analysis of the C drive.

No analysis was performed on 8/2 because I shut the machine down before 1am.

Disk Defrag.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm wondering if all the volumes are selected for defrag. Check the configuration by launching the defragger and click the configure schedule button. When the modify schedule window comes up, click the select disks button. Normally, you would have all the check boxes checked including the "select all disks" check box and the "automatically defragment new disks" check box. Is that the case?

If so, you may want to check the drive that didn't defrag for errors. If the disk is marked as having an error, the defragger will skip it. The defragger will also skip the volume if the volume is locked by something.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 pm

Bob wrote:I'm wondering if all the volumes are selected for defrag. Check the configuration by launching the defragger and click the configure schedule button. When the modify schedule window comes up, click the select disks button. Normally, you would have all the check boxes checked including the "select all disks" check box and the "automatically defragment new disks" check box. Is that the case?

All are checked, but "automatically defragment new disks" is NOT checked. I'll check that box, leave the machine again tonight, see what happens, and report back in the morning.

P.S. If that works, as I suspect it will, I will be ecstatic :yh: but that brings up a question: Is running the program on a daily basis overkill? If yes, what time interval would you suggest?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:05 am

George Tyndall wrote:P.S. If that works, as I suspect it will, I will be ecstatic :yh: but that brings up a question: Is running the program on a daily basis overkill? If yes, what time interval would you suggest?

That worked!

I'll await your reply re how often to run the program.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:57 pm

That worked!

Great! :TU:

I'll await your reply re how often to run the program.

It's not critical. It certainly won't hurt to run it on a daily basis, but you could probably get along with a less frequent schedule. I use a weekly schedule and that works out well for my configuration and useage. I could probably defrag even less frequently, but I prefer to not go longer than a week -- that's just my OCD comfort level at work. Your usage (and OCD) may vary. If you want to try a longer interval, check the fragmentation levels for a while to ensure they are being adequately handled. Once you're comfortable with the interval, relax and forget about it.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Bob wrote:If you want to try a longer interval, check the fragmentation levels for a while to ensure they are being adequately handled. Once you're comfortable with the interval, relax and forget about it.

The documentation states no need to defrag unless 10 percent of more fragmented.

Do you agree with that?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Bob wrote:I use a weekly schedule and that works out well for my configuration and useage.

I configured for every Sunday at 2am, and what I just noted is that the disks were analyzed but none was defragmented.

Is that because none is 10% or more defragmented?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:25 am

Probably.
Bob

Return to Computer Issues