They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Errors, errors

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Errors, errors

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Day 2 of errors in AE CS4 & PrPro CS3. Errors in PrPro and only 1 freeze up in AE.

In Pro: MS Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime error
Prog:C:/Prog.....
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more info.

Thought it was Trend that caused this since the new version checks for auto updates every 3 hours. Turned Trend off and still the same.

In Pro: PrePro Debug Event
{..//../SRC/PPIXHandle Utitilites.cpp-114}
Out of Memory. To max available memory, set the rendering optimization preference to "Memory"

Did this.

One thing that I noticed is that the project in Pro...2 Qtime animations & 75+stills...set the anti flicker on the Qtime and when I closed out the project and reopened it was unrendered again. Set the anti flicker back and still showing unrendered. (In the past it would turn green because it was rendered again.) Imported a third Qtime Animation and crashed during the antiflicker rendering preview.

Thought the project was corrupt and had saved it numerous times in diff _v. Created a new project and imported the 2 Qtime animations and the slides sections (exported avi from the corrupt project). Things worked fine.

But...cannot import the third Qtime animation .mov. Cannot import any test exports that I made yesterday which were .mov

Error: The Importer reported a generic error.

The third animation has the usual stills-psds, nulls, camera, solid layer. No video, no audio.

I have Qtime 7.66.71.0 because of problems back in Sept and was afraid to update to a new version. Any ideas? Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Errors, errors

Postby Peru » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:12 pm

My problem a while back was probably different than yours, however, I did have a problem with Premiere Pro CS4 not "remembering" that a clip was rendered. I would save the project, but it would show as unrendered if I closed it and reopened it.

I was only able to solve the problem with an uninstall and fresh install. :(
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Cheryl, if this just started suddenly, I have to wonder if you possibly have a bad RAM module that's only coming into play with programs that use the higher address memory. You might consider running a check to see what happens. It's easy to do and may help eliminate a hardware problem as a cause. In Vista or Win7 you can run it manually:

Vista: Start>Control Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Memory Diagnostics Tool.‌

Win7: Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Windows Memory Diagnostic

Running the tool will require a system restart, so close any open programs first.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks Peru & Dave. I have XP, is there a diff way to check the memory?

I did a system restore to last Fri the 7th since things worked fine all that day. Didn't work on the project over the weekend and the problems started yesterday.

So far so good...sorta. I was able to import the .mov files I made yesterday. PrPro did close without warning once. I opened AE and cleared All Caches. Not sure if that matters when in PrPro. Working the past hour adding more slides in PrPro and things seem okay. Fingers crossed.

How do I check the memory in XP? Thanks
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:20 pm

EDIT: Depending on your computer manufacturer, some systems come with diagnostics tools available. You might check to see if yours has a memory test utility before you do any of the following.

It's a bit more trouble to do this from XP. You need to download a file and then use that file to create a bootable floppy disc or CD. The downloaded exe file will create the bootable floppy for you. If you don't have a floppy drive and need to boot from a CD you'll have to tell it to save a disk image and then you'll have to use a utility such as Nero or Image Burn to burn the ISO image to the CD. If you've neve done this before and have problems just post back. Here's the Microsoft page with the download link and instructions:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.imgburn.com/

EDIT: Depending on your computer manufacturer, some systems come with diagnostics tools available. You might check to see if yours has a memory test utility before you do any of the following.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:41 pm

All that sounds a tad frightening for me, Dave. Think I will see if the problem continues first and then call my computer guy to walk me thru a diagnostic.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Sorry about that Cheryl. It's not as bad as it seems. It's pretty straightforward if you have a floppy drive. I can walk you through it if you do.

Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm

Still limping along trying to finish a project. For a 20 min slideshow I had to export 3 avi segments instead of one as usual. Burned ok (I hate Encore).

Questions:

In PrPro under Media Cache Database the folder is set to the default of c:/doc... and it says to change the location to change it in the Scratch Disks panel.

In the Scratch Disk panel have everything set to Same as Project and the Media Cache is noted as that.

1. Why is it showing two locations for the same Media Cache?

2. Under Media Cache panel there is a Clean button to clear the cache. Should this be done periodically?

3. I have 4G of RAM now and slots for 8. Will it help to get more?

4. XP Home Edition - Under Control Panel>Admin Tools> Performance - Will this show RAM usage?

Thanks.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:06 pm

1. Why is it showing two locations for the same Media Cache?

It's not. The Media Cache Database is not the same thing as the Media Cache. The reference to Scratch Disks is to change the location of the Media Cache. The Media Cache Database defaults to you C: drive and the location is changed by the "browse" button next to the "clean" button. I'd recommend changing that to something other than the C: drive.

2. Under Media Cache panel there is a Clean button to clear the cache. Should this be done periodically?

Yes. The Media Cache Database contains references to all the media cache files created for all your media regardless of project. It optimized performance by not generating media cache files if they already exist elsewhere. The database will continue to grow unless you periodically clean it to remove references to media that is no longer present on your drive. Clean won't remove references for media still present. References on external drives will be removed unless the drive is accessible. Not a big problem. All that will happen is that next time a project is used that references them, the media cache will be recreated.

3. I have 4G of RAM now and slots for 8. Will it help to get more?

No. A 32-bit OS will not use more than 4GB. If you were running Windows 7 64-bit (or even Vista 64-bit -- I would not recommend Windows XP 64-bit) it could recogize and use the additional RAM. Whether that helps performance is a different issue.

4. XP Home Edition - Under Control Panel>Admin Tools> Performance - Will this show RAM usage?

The Windows XP Task Manager will show this.

ctrl+alt+del will bring up the task manager. Select the performance tab. Under "Physical Memory" it will list the amount you have, the amount available, and (if memory serves right) the amount used for the system cache.

Another useful measurement is also on the performance tab, and that is the commit charge. Commit charge shows how you are using virtual memory. "total" is how much virtual memory is currently being used system wide, "Limit" is how much virtual memory can be allocated taking into account how much ram you have and how big your system swap file is, "Peak" is the "High Water" mark -- The maximum amount you allocated at any given time since you signed in to your system.

If the total commit charge exceeds the total physical memory, the page file has to be used. You want to avoid that, if possible, since that will slow down the system. If the Peak value is greater then your Physical Ram you were not only using the page file, you didn't have enough memory for the system cache and your performance is even worse.

Idealy, you want Peak to be well below the total physical memory.

If Peak approaches the Limit, you are about to run out of virtual memory and will need to Add ram or increase the size of the paging file. With a 32-bit operating system, the 4gb ram limitation means you may have to compromise and accept some paging.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks Bob for all of the info. I called my tech guy who built my computer. Ran a check disk and there were quite a few "Deleting an index entry....." and "fixing the mirror copy of the security descriptor data stream". Tried to boot from the disc to check RAM, but it wouldn't boot to it.

After the check disk, tried to export the 20 min avi and had the memory issue again. He will check a few other things out remotely tomorrow.

Thanks for the explanations and everyone's help. And Dave, thanks for your generous offer to walk me thru things.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:27 pm

Did a RAM test using a different utility and no errors. Odd thing is Pro did export a 21 minute AVI file the next day no problem. Yesterday tried to export h.264 3 min file and it got to the 2nd pass last frame and PrPro closed down. This did create a few files. Usually when canceling an export like this 2 files are created instead of one. A mpeg 4 & an AAC file. I just delete those. BUT, this time 3 files were created: a mpeg 4, AAC, and another mpeg 4 file. The third file is 112 kb and played it in Qtime player and just black video. Deleted the first 2 of these files, but the last one will not delete. Tried to move it and it was copied instead.

This is the error for delete:

Cannot delete : Access denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I could wait and see if these will delete later after I delete my project. But I am getting an error when I try to check disk on volume D where these are located. Not sure if this is interrelated. If these were created using v7 of my project and I save the project as v8, then deleting all references of v7 project, will this then allow me to delete this file? Which files related to the v7 project should I delete?

When running a disk check for volume d, this is the message:

Cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. All opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume. Y/N

And after I did an uninstall/reinstall was able to export an h.264 file. Haven't run any other tests since.

Any ideas on the above errors? Thanks.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:40 pm

After a restart the errors should go away.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:After a restart the errors should go away.

Tried that and still errors.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Was able to delete the files. Changed the file extension - restart - delete. Will try the chkdsk later. Fingers crossed.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Apparently that file was related on the chkdsk command on d volume because after deleting it I was able to run the check.

As for changing the Data Cache Database from c drive, is that because of free space? I have 370GB free on c drive. Tried to change the file the other day and move the contents to d, but an error occurred that it couldn't find the file path. That was before the chkdsk.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Computer Issues