They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Portable

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

New Portable

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Found myself in need of a portable computer for work. So I came up with the idea to see if I could get a desktop replacement that would allow me to pursue my video hobby. I found this nice set up at Dell. What do you think? We typically keep our machines at least 3 - 5 years. My skin is thick, so don't be bashful. I have made my decision, but it may help others who are comtemplating a similar purchase.

Regards,
-Vernon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Order Detail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Description:

-- Precision Mobile Workstation M6500 Laptop Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate
-- Processor: Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
-- 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs) (Max of 4 Dimms)
-- 250 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
-- 250 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 2nd drive
-- 8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability (Wanted Blu-Ray, but no television yet)
-- Bluetooth Wireless Card 365
-- Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Operating System DVD
-- Operating System DVD
-- Roxio Creator 10.3 DE
-- Power DVD Software
-- FIPS Certified Fingerprint Reader
-- Silver Color
-- 1.0 GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800M Graphics
-- 17 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LED Laptop Screen
-- Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card
-- Back-lit Keyboard
-- 9 Cell Primary Battery
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: New Portable

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Looks like a beauty to me!

The only possible issue is that Premiere Elements 8 seems to have an issue with Windows 7 64-bit.

But don't let that stop you (particularly if you're using another version of the software). Everything else looks top-notch to me!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:39 am

All that in a portable!!!! Are you sure it is not just a desktop on wheels??? :)
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:26 am

Well, I am currently using Version 7 of the software. As we all know, 64 bits is here to stay. So I assume Version 9 will be a little better behaved.

Dell calls this a desktop replacement. And that is what I was going after. Can I really shed my desktop without sacrificing too much. I really wanted to get the Solid State Drive, but opted for two conventional drives instead. It made the machine a little more affordable. Plus, I rationalized that Drive prices will keep falling.

Of particular interest to me was the Quadro card. It seems that Dell offers the FX 2800M and the FX 3800M. It seems that the 3800M offers more potential performance, but I couldn't find any real world benchmarks.

The machine should be here on Friday. I am looking forward to it.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:45 am

Just curious- how much dd this cost? :mrgreen:
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:28 am

That's a nice machine. NASA may want to borrow it to help with some of their computing needs! I don't think you'll have any trouble editing video on that one. Enjoy.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 am

Peru wrote:Just curious- how much dd this cost? :mrgreen:

Peru,
I saved over $1700 of the cost by purchasing from the refurbished bin. In this case the actual cost came in at $2200 instead of $3900. $2200 was more than I was originally thinking, but I paid a premium to get 4 Gig ram chips instead of (2) gigs. I also paid a premium for the upgraded video card. I figured that I will eventually increase ram, so I will not have to throw all the chips away to get to 16 Gig. Also, I would not be able to upgrade the video. So I paid the premium. The (2) 250 GB hard drives are smaller than I would have liked. I tried to snag a system with 256 GB solid state and 1 (500) Gig hard drive. But it was not available in the refurb center. I saw one, but I could not tag it, then it was gone :mad: . I figure hard drive prices will continue to fall, and the system will support 3 hard drives. So when I see a ridiculous blow out sale on a drive, I will pick one up later. That assumes that the machine performs in the real world as close to what it appears to on paper.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks Dave,
The primary use will be for CAD drawings, Database Development, Office use with some occassional video development thrown in. I still have my 3 year old Quad-Core system that is chugging along just great. I understand the I7 performance in video rendering should beat my quad-core desktop. That would be amazing.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:03 am

Can I really shed my desktop without sacrificing too much.

The one thing that concerns me in that regard, at least with respect to video, is the clock speed of the cpu. At 1.6GHz, that's slow compared to a desktop and rendering/encoding is cpu intensive. It does have a Turbo Mode that can boost up to 2.8GHz, but that benefits mainly single threaded applications -- Turbo Mode does not boost all cores simultaneously or at all if all cores are being heavily utilized. On the plus side, the quad cores are hyperthreaded so your four cores will look like eight. Your existing desktop quad is not hyperthreaded. It would be very interesting to see a test comparing your existing desktop to the new laptop rendering/encoding the same video project. I hope you will do that type of comparison and let us know the result.

I think the laptop will do well with the types of applications that you listed.
Bob

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:58 am

Bob,
Interesting insights as usual. It seems that the clock speed on all the Quads are lower than their Dual Core cousins. However, I think that with more applications being designed to take advantage of multiple cores, we will see better performance over time. It was astounding how my 2.6 Ghz Quad crushed my 3 Ghz Hyper-Threaded Pentium IV. It was not even close. I don't expect that dramatic an increase in performance, but with some applications being able to offload activities to the video card, it may prove to be another surprise.

I will keep you advised as to how this progresses. It is a significant expenditure especially when you see laptops being advertised for less than $500. I guess it still costs a mint to go fast.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Vernon,
I have the Precision M65, a few years older and not as powerful as the M6500.
My machine has been great for working with video, even HDV is not to bad.
It is only a 2.0 ghz core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM, Windows XP 32 bit,
and very nice nVidia Quadro FX350m graphics.

Your machine is twice what mine is so I am sure you are going to love it.
I have been offered a new HP laptop (this is my work machine) but have turned them down.
That's how much I love this laptop, it never causes me any problems and it just works great.

Hope you are as happy with your M6500 as I have been for the past 3 years with my M65 :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 pm

chuck,
That is very reassuring to know that you have been pleased with the performance of the M65. I would not call it buyer's remorse, but I struggled with the cost required to move from the Quadro 2800 - 3800. I bit the bullet and went with the 3800 since it would not be possible to upgrade later, but it was not an easy decision.

I like the fact that this machine has more than 2 USB ports. Most of the machines I was looking at only had 2. This machine also has a USB port that doubles as a eSata port. I think that will be really good for storage. I did not know USB3 was out, but it has 1 USB 3 port. So we will put the machine through its paces when we get it.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Personally I think you got a great deal :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Computer Issues