They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hard drive backups .. using Second Copy

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Hard drive backups .. using Second Copy

Postby Jayell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:05 pm

I think I remember a couple Second Copy backup users here. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm backing up from my internal hard drive D: to an external F:
I want it set up such that AFTER I've done a complete backup, I can just do an incremental each time after that (which only backs ups those files which have been updated since the last backup). This I can do using the "exact copy" option.

.. BUT because this requires using the archive bits, then resetting them after the backup, it WON'T delete the files from the backup (F:) which no longer exist on the hard drive (D:). What am I missing here? .. or is there another way to go about this. 8-[
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Hard drive backups .. using Second Copy

Postby Bobby » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Right click the profile, select Properties. Go to the How? tab and click on Advanced Properties. Check "Skip destination check if source has not changed." or "Copy only files with the archive bit set" along with "Clear archive bit after copy". Either one should work - I prefer the former.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Bobby wrote: Check "Skip destination check if source has not changed." or "Copy only files with the archive bit set" along with "Clear archive bit after copy". Either one should work - I prefer the former.

Bobby, I know the 2nd alternative allows for Incremental backups. I know how to do that part. My questions was how do I get it to DELETE the files from the Destination/backup (created from the original full backup) that no longer exist in the Source files.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Sorry - didn't read enough. In the same tab, change the copy type from Simple Copy to Exact Copy (the next option on the pulldown).
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:34 pm

Yes, (as mentioned in my original posting) that's the option I use, Bobby. But as the backup starts (or is it after finishing the set up?), it tells you that using the archive bit and resetting it, disallows the ability to delete files from the destination backup that no longer exist in the source files.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:29 am

I am truly sorry Jayell for not reading your posts correctly. As it turns out, we are in the middle of the town budget season, and we had a very tumultuous (and final) session just last night. My head must be spinning...

I have never seen that message and I think the issue may be with using the archive bit settings. As I said, I never use archive bits, and just rely on the changing of the source files date and time with "skip check if..." option. Could you try that please?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:33 am

No problem, Bobby. I appreciate you sticking with me on this. Wasn't sure the "skip check if .. " option would accomplish the same goal, but I'll give it a try.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues