They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

trying to avoid a virus

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

trying to avoid a virus

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:23 pm

a few months ago best buy said my computer had a bunch of traces of viruses (like a thousand?!). that ordeal resulted in reloading my system, and, as a result, now i am verrrry careful where i wander on the internet. the geek made it sound like any site was a virus waiting to attack (though when i picked up my machine, a geek was showing me something and he went on the internet to youtube - this particular geek claimed that was safe, though the previous geek had said that most photo/video/music sharing sites were dangerous?!).

so my question is, what does everyone think is a safe website? note: i do have antivirus software - webroot antivirus with spysweeper. i have mostly only gone to muvipix (no problems here, right? :lol: ), bestbuy.com and a few of the national parks and state websites since i got my computer back. needless to say - that is very limiting. can i check weather.com? links thru muvipix? travel sites (hotels, airlines, etc.)? my neighbor's blog? flickr? vimeo?

really, i never went anywhere "naughty" so how did i get the viruses unless the "safe" sites aren't really safe?
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: trying to avoid a virus

Postby Paul LS » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:32 pm

My question would be... if in fact you did have a bunch of viruses why didn't your antivirus software pick them up or stop them being downloaded in the first place.

I wander all over the internet... and quite often my antivirus software, AVAST which is free, will pop up and stop me going to a site.

As for photo/video/music sharing sites.. he was refering to peer-to-peer sites which illegally share copyrighted material... not sites like Youtube.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:35 pm

There are no "safe" websites - period. No email is private. Get used to it or turn off the switch. Sorry to be so blunt, but forewarned is forearmed.

So you need the best tools. I recommend (although others here will disagree with me) that you get Norton, specifically Norton Internet Security 2010. IMHO (and I had my own PC company for 10 years) it is the best on the market. That is all I use, and all I trust.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:46 pm

I also wouldn't trust Best Buy in telling you that you had many viruses on your computer (let alone one virus). It doesn't surprise me... they want your biz whether it's to charge you to fix the computer or sell you another. It's the only reason they exist - to sell you a product.

Any anti-virus software will protect you as much as it possibly can, if that makes any sense. I use Avast as well, not a single problem here.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bobby » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:11 pm

I disagree Ron, although it may be just semantics. You need more than just anti-virus - you need the entire anti-spyware suite, which include anti-spyware, firewall, and other protection on top of anti-virus. If that is what you meant, we are in agreement!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:40 pm

My guess would be that it was probably more spyware and malware than viruses on your computer, but no one will know for sure. There is some pretty nasty spyware out there these days, can slow your computer down to a crawl. So yes, you need Anti Virus and Anti Spyware and as much knowledge as you can get. Read up on viruses and spyware, how they get on your machine, what they do, how you can recognize that they may be on your system, and get protected. I use Avast, SpyBot, and MalwareBytes, the Avast on-access scanner runs in the background and I do a full scan with SpyBot and MalwareBytes on a regular basis or if I have reason to think there may be a spyware issue.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Paul LS wrote:My question would be... if in fact you did have a bunch of viruses why didn't your antivirus software pick them up or stop them being downloaded in the first place.

I wander all over the internet... and quite often my antivirus software, AVAST which is free, will pop up and stop me going to a site.

Avast does the same for me.

I use Comodo Firewall (not the suite), Avast Antivirus, Superantispyware (manual scans), Malwarebytes Antimalware (manual scans), and Spybot (Tea Timer disabled), all free.

See this for a good description of security software:
http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/show ... p?t=142976
Peru

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:39 pm

muvipix.jpg

:TU:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:35 am

And don't forget that if you want a 'third party' check there is always Trend's housecall: I can't post you the USA link as it defaults to my location which is the UK. Just put 'trend house call' into Google.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:06 am

It would probably be best if you went with one of the top brands like Norton, McAfee or Trend Micro. Bobby likes Norton and obviously John likes Trend. These can be pretty much 'set it and forget it' programs that will do everything automatically behind the scenes. If there are any problems they guide you through the process. Avast does most of that also but the 'Paid For' programs offer more support among other benefits.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerlinde » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:18 am

I used OneCare from Microsoft on both of my computers ( still use it on my desktop) and I use now Microsoft Essentials ( which is free :-D ), never had any virus problems.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 am

Chuck Engels wrote:It would probably be best if you went with one of the top brands like Norton, McAfee or Trend Micro. Bobby likes Norton and obviously John likes Trend.

Actually, Chuck, I use Avira.

But every few months I run Trend Housecall (it is FREE - just love that word) and it performs a full system scan. Just nice to get a 'second opinion' now and then. You have to run it on-line to the Trend website so it is always up to date

But be aware that the 'Housecall' takes about two hours or so to run - well at least that's how long it takes on my system. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:29 am

Here is some good general information about spyware and viruses, where they come from, how we get them, good information that everyone should have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_hor ... mputing%29

And the most scary of all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimeware

There is lots more but this will at least give anyone enough information to help keep their systems free of junk, and if something should happen the knowledge of what to do about it and how.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Computer Issues