They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Burner recognizes blank DVD but not burned ones

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Burner recognizes blank DVD but not burned ones

Postby Cinde » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:18 am

I don't know if this is a problem. But it sure does confuse me and it would help if I could understand what is happening.

I delivered video # 1 to a client yesterday and needed to make 2 more. I burned # 2 and # 3 DVD of the same video (not copies- explanation in last paragraph). They played perfectly on both the TV and portable players. I put # 2 back into the computer D drive and it would not play. Windows Explorer did not recognize that there was a DVD in drive D. Explorer kept asking me to “insert a disc”. I finally got a “Drive D not responding” error. I tried the same steps in Drive E with the same results. I then went through the same steps with # 3 and achieved the same results.

Then I put in a different video I had burned several days ago. It had been built using the same software and burned on a DVD from the same spool of blanks as the 2 I burned today. I was able to play it and also read the files names in Explorer. Then I tried a blank DVD and both D and E drives recognized that there was a DVD there with no data.

I don’t burn “copies”. I use PrEl3 to build the video and save as mpg. I have not had success in burning with Premier so I transfer the mpg to Roxio VideoWave and burn to DVD directly from there using Roxio MyDVD Express. When I need “copies” I simply open the Video Wave production and burn the original file again. My options are 1) Burn to disc 2) Save disc image file 3) Create Folder Set. I have always chosen 1) Burn to disc. I haven’t learned what the other 2 are yet. I know I need to learn it soon since it is probably easier than my current process. But being such a newbie, it’s hard for me to keep my brain “defragmented” while trying to process so much new information.

Should I be concerned because D and E drives will not recognize these 2 burned DVD? Could it be the beginning of a problem, or am I missing something simple?
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Cinde - sorry for the slow reply - I have just been very busy lately.

You covered a lot of territory in your post. Let's explore some basics first. I would recommend that you not output from PE to mpg but rather output the DVD image to a file folder. This creates .VOB files and some other support files, and can easily be copied to a DVD using, for example, Nero. I use that technique and it works very well. Also, making duplicates is very easy since you already have the image on your HD.

Second, DVD drives and media are not terribly compatible. Look up some posts on DVD quality; I have learned by experience to only use Taiyo Yuden and have much better success with drive compatibility.

Third, the responsibility for figuring out what type of medium you have put in your drive (CD, CD-R, DVD, etc. etc.) is done in the firmware in the drive itself. If there is trouble identifying media, the problem is usually here. Get the latest firmware for your drive from the manufacturer's website.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:57 am

Thanks for the reply Bob. I have been out of town for several days and am just now catching up on all the board activity and was very happy to see your reply.

My next goal is to start outputting the DVD image to a file folder for easier burning of DVDs and duplications.

When I burn the first copy to make sure everything looks the way I want I am using a rewritable Memorex DVD-RW 2x. For the customer’s final copy I use Memorex Printable DVD —R 16x (the lowest speed I can choose is 4) to burn the DVD then print the face of the DVD. For archive I am using JVC brand. So far I have had good success using these. Taiyo Yuden does come in printable so I will look for those for my next purchase.

I’ll definitely look into the firmware. You said the responsibility for figuring out what type of medium you have put in your drive (CD, CD-R, DVD, etc. etc.) is done in the firmware in the drive itself. I’ll take the 2 copies in question to another computer to see if the files can be read. If not… maybe copy protection of DVDs by a fluke? It would be a great boost to my business if customers would have to buy copies from me instead of burning their own.

Thanks so much for your reply.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:35 pm

Glad to help Cinde. Yes, taking the media to another PC for a check is a good idea.

TY does indeed make blank media - that is what I use.

I don't think it is a copy protection issue, but let's see what happens after your test.

As far as your clients copying your DVD themselves, it's gonna happen. All you can do is to price your services assuming that. Recover all your costs + profit in the first DVD. Then the rest is gravy. Also if you produce a really nice looking DVD and a nice case with insert, it will be even harder for them to duplicate. It can be done, but a lot of image editing-type work to capture your images and re-print them.

Running a small business can be very difficult - you have to really look carefully at your costs, mechanisms for cost recovery, and where your profit really is.

I run a very successful small (1-person) PC consulting business here. I don't have a local store, and laugh whenever somebody comes into the area and opens one up. The income from the store itself (not external service) cannot justify the lease. I have succeeded because I really keep an eye on these things. Those other shops often disappear in less than a year.

I mention that because I am thinking of phasing from semi-retirement to almost-complete-retirement, and doing video and photo restoration work then. But I am still working on where the profit is.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks for the come back, Bob.

I agree, I know it is impossible to copy protect my work. That’s a dream we all have.

Indeed, I do price my products to recoup my time and supplies, plus a profit. The “Introductory” memorial video package starts at $75 for 25 photos and 1 song, plus $1 for each additional photo and song. I print the theme on the DVD face and jewel box insert. I print a nice jewel box insert with thumbs of each photo on the data CD containing the digital scans of their original photos. I price additional packages at $20 each. It seems that I am among the pioneers in my local area. I really don’t know what the local market will support. By adding “Introductory” to my advertising material I am at liberty to raise or lower prices in a few months.

I know well the ups and downs of running a small business. My degree is in accounting. Living in an area where coal is the major economic factor, my husband and I have owned several coal-related businesses. Among them were our own coal trucks (never again), a coal truck “broker” (office consisted of a phone and list of truckers who wanted to haul coal, our profit was 25 cents a ton, which during the coal boom was a very lucrative business). At the same time I owned my own bookkeeping business. My clients were new coal companies that had only a contract and a checkbook. The only thing I really liked about that business was the name, “The Other Office” which came from my clients telling people to call them at the other office.

I started doing computer work in the “Stone Age” of DOS and was passionate about it when Windows 3.0 first came on the scene. After Win 95 I actually got burned out for awhile but have recently re-discovered my interest through photo editing and memorial videos. The help I have been receiving here has kept me going. I don’t know if this is going to be a full fledged business or not. Either way, I am content to go with the flow and see where it leads me.

Good luck in your ventures. Keep me posted.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues