They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help! What is this Windows Update All About?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Help! What is this Windows Update All About?

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:43 am

Windows Update wants to install the following:

Size: 248.3 MB

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates.

I never download or "update" or "upgrade" any of my software if everything is already working well together.

But I have noticed that, when I attempt to burn a music CD, I often get an error that, if memory serves, says something about "Microsoft Visual C"--and which is abruptly followed by an hour-glass that will go away only with a restart.

So is this Windows update something I probably need?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Help! What is this Windows Update All About?

Postby Bobby » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 am

George, we have discussed this issue in the past! I firmly believe that you should keep up with Windows Updates. There is some downside to this - usually when MS issues a crappy patch that does more harm than good, but they do usually fix that in a timely manner. To me the good far outweighs the bad. I always keep up with MS updates for me and my (few remaining) clients.

But I am not sure that the .net framework update would update the Visual C libraries. Visual C is a standard language for writing windows programs, and there are some common libraries associated with that language that are distributed. Maybe someone more expert will chime in, but I don't think updating .net will fix your problem.

But, as I say, I would go for it all.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:48 am

I agree with Bobby, all my machines are set to automatically download updates but not install them till I say so.
The updates get installed usually upon shutdown and there have been no major issues at all for years.
the .net framework is very important for running many Microsoft products, you shouldn't be without it these days or some things will not work.
Especially if you use Word, Excel or any other of the Office products, not to mention some web sites that are developed using the .net framework.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:...all my machines are set to automatically download updates but not install them till I say so...

Absolutely correct, IMHO. Do not let Windows do updates when it wants to. If the default is to do it at night, your PC might not be on. So it tries to do it during the day and that may interfere with something you are doing. Much better off doing it when YOU choose.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 pm

While I usually DO install MS updates, I have it set to "Notify," only. I want to do this myself, for both the download and the install. I do not want anything automatic, as it WILL happen when you are in the middle of something important and then want to re-boot. Some of the more recent ones, have a count-down to re-boot, and if you do not exit out, within the time limit, it WILL re-boot, regardless of what you are doing.

I wish that all programs offered full manual updating, and also would NOT change the setting to "Automatic" whenever an update is installed. QT is possibly the worst (next to RealPlayer, but I've not had that in over a decade. StopZilla is also quite bad, and must be reset to full manual with every update. Bogus!

OK, rant-mode over,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues