They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Disk Space

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Disk Space

Postby Helen » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:18 am

I was wondering on which drive it is more important to have the most free disk space, "C" drive or the drive that your video files are on? Do you need more space on the video drive while you are editting and then do you need more space on "C" drive while you are "exporting or burning"?

I think I have confused myself a bit by reading a few different articles. :???:

Thanks
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Disk Space

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:02 am

Hi Helen.

Rough guide for your info. If you need more specific info post back with your actual disc sizes and usage.

In an ideal situation you would have two or more discs in your PC. The way that you have phrased your question implies that this is so in your case. so I'll focus my general response on the C: drive.

It is important that your C: drive has sufficient space for system paging files and various other application work files, video/DVD temp files etc.

If your C: drive is consistently more than (say) 75% full then it may be wise to consider moving some of the data files to the second drive. Of course, that 75% figure depends on the starting capacity of the drive - 75% of 150Gb is a lot less than 75% of 500Gb.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Helen » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:59 am

Thanks John
I gather that "C" drive needs to have more space.
I am asking because my sister is having a few problems with Windows Movie maker and I have been reading a few help forums trying to solve her problem. She is trying to drag a 4gb mpeg file onto the timeline and WMM crashes each time. I mentioned to her that she would need quite a bit of space. She currently has 62 gb free on "C" and only 13 gb on "D" where her video files are. I don't think she has enough free space on "D" and I think that may be the cause of her problem. I am not sure of her disk sizes or her computer specs.

I think she may need to invest in a external hard drive and move some of her video files over.
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:10 am

Unfortunately Helen, it all depends on what software you are running, and what internal or temporary files that software produces. What PRE does is potentially very different from what WMM does. If you run both (or others too), then there is no simple solution.

The good news is that disk storage is quite cheap these days - the only problem would be copying or cloning your old drive if you upgrade it. Can be done easily, but not trivial.

I would also recommend disk defragmentation frequently; I use the Diskeeper software, which does a great job of defrag in the background.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues