They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Belkin Firewire PCI 'hub'

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Belkin Firewire PCI 'hub'

Postby kr236rk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:22 pm

hi

been using this PCI for a while without worries and suddenly it is refusing to work - Device Manager also flags it up as an issue. replaced it with a new one today - same result. i am using a Dell D-3000 with Home XP o/s so the card and pc ought to find each other blindfolded?

tested the PCI slot in the mobo with a similar card [usb2] and it plugged + played straight away: just used it 10 minutes ago in fact

no option but to try another brand name i guess - i have seen several stocked (London) which are obviously different to the Belkin at a similar price (Maplins Electronics stores)

so will be holding my breath

are there known reasons why PCI's suddenly glitch, or is it just one of those things ... don't want to end up installing a whole new mobo for the sake of an IEEE 1394 socket :-8

bests

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Belkin Firewire PCI 'hub'

Postby Bobby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:42 pm

Sounds like a driver issue to me. Same hardware, same result = driver problem. I would be very surprised if the MB failed or a PCI socket failed.

Since that card was a "hub" rather than just a single Firewire port, perhaps there were in fact unique drivers for it. Check...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:49 pm

bseidel wrote:Sounds like a driver issue to me. Same hardware, same result = driver problem. I would be very surprised if the MB failed or a PCI socket failed.

Since that card was a "hub" rather than just a single Firewire port, perhaps there were in fact unique drivers for it. Check...

thanks Bob - it was an OHCI Compliant so xp should have been able to handle any driver issue - this PCI card worked 100% until i uninstalled my old Pinnacle 9 av/dv card, then the Belkin Firewire card stopped working

my guess is the two events are somehow linked but i cannot understand how?

bests

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:04 pm

Ric,

Did you also uninstall the software and drivers for the Pinnacle card? There may be remnants of the Pinnacle software that are conflicting with firewire card. Check your startup programs and services. You might want to use msconfig to temporarily disable the startup programs and see if that makes a difference.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Or, the opposite. By uninstalling the Pinnacle card, it removed some software that your card needed. Perhaps try consulting the MS knowledge base on re-installing the OHCI firewire driver.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:50 am

I have vague recollections from past postings on the Adobe forum and here about issues with the Pinnacle capture card and PrEl in its various versions.

From memory of those old postings I think that both 'Bobs' are on the right track, either some software is in conflict or some essential software component was removed when you uninstalled the Pinnacle card.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby kr236rk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:55 am

thanks guys

am worried - does this mean that any OHCI card - in this case firewire - that i plug in is going to be without drivers - none of these cards come with driver cd's these days {how far-sighted of the manufacturers #-o } and i can't see a driver download site on the internet for the Belkin: there was nothing like that at the Belkin site (but why?)

however, a OHCI usb PCI card works without worries in the same system that the firewire was in - that means i am indeed confused

might re-installing the Pinnacle help? i've already done a search for Pinnacle and removed all folders from the system, so it would be a clean re-install
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:08 am

Have you tried removing the device entry from Device Manager then re-starting the PC? Windows should then detect the new hardware (with the classic Bing Bong) and re-installl the neccesasary drivers.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby kr236rk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:27 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Have you tried removing the device entry from Device Manager then re-starting the PC? Windows should then detect the new hardware (with the classic Bing Bong) and re-installl the neccesasary drivers.

have done, John - when i bought the replacement i realised the new card was an exact duplicate of the old card, so this pci has had multiple restarts in the system

did a microsoft help topics search for OHCI / firewire devices which basically suggested i (re) download SP3, which i am attempting to do - download appears to have paused at 33%

it makes sense to re-download the package that contains all OHIC drivers if that is what the problem is (absent drivers) but i have an awful feeling things aren't going to be that simple?
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:54 am

I would not assume that the OHCI drivers for USB are the same as the OHCI drivers for Firewire.

I would reinstall the Pinnacle card and see what happens.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:57 am

bseidel wrote:I would not assume that the OHCI drivers for USB are the same as the OHCI drivers for Firewire.

worth a try! - thanks Bob ;)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:53 am

bseidel wrote:I would not assume that the OHCI drivers for USB are the same as the OHCI drivers for Firewire.

Hi again Bob,

some measured success =D>

can now plug the cam into the Pinnacle PCI firewire socket/card and see the direct image in PE3.

put a blank cassette in the cam (as advised earlier : w/ thanks) which stopped the 'tape-time-set' warning pop-up, but had to switch to card mode because tape mode kept auto switching off after 5 minutes; but the cassette has stopped the pop-up, even in card mode

Belkin firewire card still out of action - not sure how to proceed - have 2 of these now - plus a VC100 capture card in the mail - and am running out of PCI slots :-8

never mind - major hurdle scambled over and can now capture direct to PE3 \:D/

many thanks

R

ps. maybe microsoft - when they get back to me - will solve the firewire card mystery? :-k

;)
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:18 pm

update: g/dam - just went into Device Manager for another crack at those drivers and what do i see? the warning icon has vanished! so i plug the cam's firewire cable into the Belkin pci and i get a picture in PE3 ... then it goes black ... then it comes on again, and i capture several seconds to hard drive to pinch me that this port / device is working again: i have no idea why this pci is suddenly working again? - more later :???:
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Computer Issues