They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Newly installed RAM - bios but not computer

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Newly installed RAM - bios but not computer

Postby Maxine370 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:41 pm

So I finally got around to installing the RAM I purchased nearly 3 weeks ago. I must admit I was a little afraid to do it and while it did not go as smooth as I had hoped I finally got it done.....
or so I thought.

My machine when it came on again recognized the new RAM...in BIOS it sees 4 Gigs (1 per slot) but my machine system information still shows only 2gig) and perfomance tab on task manager shows the same.

So how can I get my computer to recognize and utilize the new RAM?

Many thanks in advance.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Newly installed RAM - bios but not computer

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:01 pm

If your PC was showing 3 or just over 3 GB, then I'd say it's normal in a 32-bit Windows environment. Without getting too technical, Windows XP will only show 3GB but will use all 4GB, just not all for the same application. My XP Home machine shows 3.00 and my XP Pro machine shows 3.12, but they both have 4GB installed, and they both make use of the full 4GB when necessary. The fact that all 4 show up in your BIOS indicates that they aren't bad, but I don't know why you're only seeing 2 in your system info.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:46 pm

Is it possible my motherboard only supports 2 gb. If that is the case does that mean that this additional ram is useless in my machine and I should have left it at 4 slots with 512 each instead of 4 slots with 1 gb each?

Also, if I wanted to try to sell or return a matched set of 2gb, could i run with only 2 slots filled without encountering any problems. I'd rather keep the newer RAm since it iss 667 instead of 533 MHz (not that I know how that matters but I assume fast is better).

I'm sort of shocked my motherboard only supports 2 gb since it is supposed to be a high tech gaming machine from Dell.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:02 pm

That could be a possibility, Beth. Some older models only support 2GB. Or it could be your RAM speed... my Dell 8400 (top of the line 4 years ago) only supports up to 533MHz, so it might be that your new 667 is simply too fast for the motherboard; although, it should just run at the slower speed if that's the case. Can you post the model # and specifics of the PC?
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:14 pm

DEll XPS 600
WIndows XP Home MCE
Intel Pent D 840 (3.2GHz) Dual COre
256 MB Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics Card
160GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Is it possible my motherboard only supports 2 gb.

Bingo! The documentation for the XPS 600 says it will only support 2GB when using the standard 32 bit Windows OS. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... specs0.htm

That's a little odd given that it also says it will support 2gb/slot or 8GB total when using the 64 bit windows OS. The motherboard is showing your 4GB, so the bios must be reporting only 2GB to Windows.

could i run with only 2 slots filled without encountering any problems.

Yes. The slots are generally color coded. Use the two slots of the same color -- your manual says to place in the slots with the white securing clips. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... #wp1052391

I'd rather keep the newer RAm since it iss 667 instead of 533 MHz

Your system supports 667. When you have mixed speed ram (667 and 533), the memory will run at the slower rate (533). FYI, If you install memory that's faster than supported by your system, it will still work as long as it is the proper type for your system. There is no problem running memory slower than rated.
Bob

Postby Maxine370 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:58 pm

SO if I take out 2 GBs I'll see no increase in performance. Being that I had (4) 512 533MHz and will now have (2) 1Gb 667MHz will I see a slight increase due to the faster speed?

So I don't think Crucial will take back my RAM since it's been opened. If I put it on Ebay or Craigslist explaining it and why it is open, do you think anyone will bite?

Bummer, I was looking forward to the addl RAM. Seems I was at max already.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Did you use the Crucial configurator? They have two versions - one where you just put in the manufacturer and model, the other that is an ActiveX control that actually scans your system.

But if the Crucial system said you could accept the RAM and it was wrong, I would think that would be grounds to return the RAM at any time.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks for the tip. Can't remember which I used but I think it was the scan my system. I'll try to return one of my matched sets so I can keep the faster RAM. ANy reason I should not have two slots left empty.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:41 pm

No problem with two slots empty as long as you have the RAM in two DIMMS in the same colored slots. Usually they are put in slot "1" and its corresponding color first. See you motherboard documentation, if you have it.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:45 pm

I posted a link to the documentation above. Here's another directly to the memory overview section with a picture of the slot configuration. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... #wp1059970

Place the memory in the indicated slots. There is absolutely no problem leaving the other two slots empty.
Bob

Return to Computer Issues