They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Travel Laptop - storing photos

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Travel Laptop - storing photos

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:13 am

I know this is probably a littel off topic, but figure everyone on here has the same dilema while away from home.

Our laptop just died and we are thinking of getting a new one. We really do NOT need another computer at home. We have two and one of them is brand new.

Looking to be as inexpensive as possible. Again this would ONLY be for travel purposes.

So I was thinking of getting a more lightweight travel laptop for the sole purpose of being able to do the following;
1. Download pictures from the camera while on vacation
2. Use the internet
3. Watch movies (act like a DVD player if wanting to watch movies on TV).

Additional nice to haves:
1. Load Adobe Photoshop to edit pictures if I wanted to while away.
2. Load Adobe Premier elements if I want to edit the video while away (but not if this is going to increase cost)

Just curious if anyone has purchased a laptop for the same thing or have any suggestions.
Prel 3.0; Photshop ele 5.0; HP Pavilion XP Media Edition; 2GB Ram; 250 GB hard Drive;
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Travel Laptop - storing photos

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:38 am

Got exactly that for my daughter not long ago, movies, photos, email, not much else.
We bought a very nice, small, Acer laptop from Micro Center for $350 USD.
The Dell Outlet has some great deals also, some very nice laptops starting at $469 :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Even the most basic laptops today should be able to do what you need. For Photoshop & Premiere, I would advise against an Intel Celeron or AMD Sempron processor; they are the cheapest each company has to offer and don't give very good performance for anything but the simplest uses. Any other CPU should handle the job. You'll want to make sure it has a DVD drive, USB ports, and a Firewire port if you plan to capture video from your camcorder. You'll also want a good-sized 7200RPM hard drive (if you can find it, otherwise 5400RPM will do). You should be able to find a good laptop under $500 or even less if it's on sale.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:23 am

Just curious if anyone has ever looked at one of the Vasus Eee PC's.

Example: http://www.seopher.com/articles/review_ ... companion_

There is a newer one then this guy...but just curious if anyone has used one or checked it out.

I have been doing some research.

Apparently it comes with some software for photo editing, so I probably wouldn't even have to add the adobe photoshop for just quick updates. (again, this would be only if I have down time while on vacation or on the plane and I want to correct the pcitures).
Prel 3.0; Photshop ele 5.0; HP Pavilion XP Media Edition; 2GB Ram; 250 GB hard Drive;
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby bgsnmky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:21 am

Shopping this weekend at best buy I had someone tell me that 2 GB of memory is not enough to run Photoshop elements. BUT I think on this forum I hvae had someone tell me that actually upgrading to 3 GB from 2 wasn't really necessary on my home PC.

Would you guys agree?

If I get a laptop for travel...I am trying to figure out what is my minimum requirements for doing those things I listed.
bgsnmky
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:03 am

2GB is plenty for running Photoshop Elements.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:46 pm

bgsnmky wrote:Just curious if anyone has ever looked at one of the Vasus Eee PC's.

My understanding is that the EEE PC is extremely basic, designed for web browsing and light word processing. If you plan to run any photo/video editing software, especially Adobe products, you're better off spending an extra $100 for a real laptop.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues