They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Detection Software? A possibility?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Detection Software? A possibility?

Postby BuddyB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Very curious. By any chance is there a piece of software available that will warn you if someone is invading your computer? I know that firewalls are supposed to give you protection unless there's a sharp cracker specifically after you. I'm always concerned about Hotspots and the possibilities. We did have Sprint wireless for awhile, but the expense vs. use on the road didn't justify the cost. Just curious about detection software. If you had a warning system at least you could shut down.
Thanks, BuddyB
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Detection Software? A possibility?

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:17 pm

My anti-virus software always lets me know when there is an malicious intrusion. (So far) Plus I do scheduled scans to catch any that were missed.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Never thought about it but mine may also. I've always felt a bit compromised in a public HotSpot setup.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:22 am

The firewall should keep people from actually getting into your computer when you're using wi-fi. Assuming, of course, you haven't downloaded spyware that allows them to circumvent the firewall. Which is why I regularly run Spybot Search & Destroy to clean and block spyware.

While you're enjoying wi-fi at Starbucks, random people can't just see your e-mail or whatever else you're doing online.

The bigger danger is if you've got an open wi-fi router at home. Anyone in the neighborhood can hitch a free ride on it. And, should they do anything naughty or illegal and the FBI traces the origin, they'll trace it back to your router.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Actually, with a wireless connection anyone with the right software (compatible driver and a "sniffer" program) can detect and capture all the wireless traffic nearby. They don't even have to be connected to the hotspot, just close enough to receive the radio transmission from your PC. There are also people that set up fake hotspots. If you connect to one of those instead of the real hotspot, it's a classic man-in-the-middle situation and they can see what you're doing. You need to protect yourself by using SSL or other encrypted connections when possible. See this article for more info and other suggestions: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/26674/keep-your-windows-computer-secure-on-public-wireless-hotspots/
Bob

Return to Computer Issues