They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Norton Internet Security Question

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Norton Internet Security Question

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 am

I'm confused. :conf:

NIS Help says I may have both a local vault and an online vault for Identity Safe.

But it also says that, if I move my local vault online, it will be permanently deleted from my machine.

That suggests that I need to create a new and separate online vault, however, I do not see any option to do so.

If I do create an online Identiy Safe vault, is it true that
--I could use it to securely log on to my bank accounts from any computer anywhere in the world and
--NIS will fill in my usernames and passwords for various sites just like my local vault does and
--a cloud-based location for my sensitive information--an online vault--is fully as secure as a local vault?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Norton Internet Security Question

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 am

which version of NIS do you have installed, George?

It appears that the Online vault may be the only choice in the future. NIS 2012 will let you create a local vault and it can be kept when you upgrade to NIS 2013. But, if you don't have a local vault when you upgrade, NIS 2013 will only let you create an online vault. I'm guessing that the next version of NIS will be online only.

The online vault is encrypted using the password and the password is required to be strong. To access the online vault, you have to sign on to your Norton account first and then enter the password for the vault.

To access the online vault from a computer without NIS installed, you need to go to the Identity Safe Web Portal and sign in. I didn't set up an onlive vault and haven't used the web portal, so I'm not sure if you have to copy and paste or whether you can have it fill in the form. I've seen one post that said that you could click on the site name in the portal and have it fill in the form. In any event, I personally would not trust any computer that wasn't my own.
Bob

Re: Norton Internet Security Question

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 am

Bob wrote:which version of NIS do you have installed, George?

20.2.0.19 is all I can find for About after upgrading. According to the adviser, that is the latest version, and it did allow me to keep my local vault. It's offering to allow me to Sync with an online vault as opposed to Moving my local vault, so it appears I have nothing to lose. Based on what you've written below, I'm assuming I have NIS 2013.

It appears that the Online vault may be the only choice in the future. NIS 2012 will let you create a local vault and it can be kept when you upgrade to NIS 2013. But, if you don't have a local vault when you upgrade, NIS 2013 will only let you create an online vault. I'm guessing that the next version of NIS will be online only.

The online vault is encrypted using the password and the password is required to be strong. To access the online vault, you have to sign on to your Norton account first and then enter the password for the vault.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues