They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Desktop Build

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: New Desktop Build

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:15 pm

They say they slow down with time.

That was mainly a problem with older SSDs that didn't support garbage collection or TRIM, or, when SSDs were used on systems that didn't support TRIM such as Windows XP. Newer SSDs typically support TRIM and have firmware that supports garbage collection on systems that don't support TRIM. It's not all rosey, garbage collection can shorten SSD life while TRIM has some shortcomings and overhead if it's used for every file delete. But on newer systems and SSDs that support SATA 3.1, there is a new Queued TRIM command that eliminates that problem. With Windows 8 which supports SATA 3 natively and a SATA 3 SSD, I wouldn't expect this system to have any problems at all in that regard unless the SSD is filled. Just like a standard drive, you need to leave some free space and not fill them up.

The system can still slow down over time anyway, but it's less likely to be caused by the SSD.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Very interesting! I had read somewhere that it had something to do with the physical degradation - of their ability to erase/rewrite/erase/rewrite, etc. After many, many rewrites they couldn't do it as efficiently. I can see I've got some reading to do. Thanks Bob!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:06 pm

It wasn't because of physical degradation. True, flash cells have a limited number of times that they can be written, but that has more to do with the life of the unit. There are also wear leveling algorithms in the controllers to distribute the writes over the device and extend the life of the unit. Incidently, that's one of the big reasons for leaving free space on the drive -- it can be used to level the cell write wear. The degradation came from the way cells were arranged in pages and blocks and the hardware restriction of erasing only at the block level. Once a single cell in a block was written, it became necessary for the entire block to be erased to reclaim that one cell. That created a considerable overhead and actually shortened the life of the unit through a process called write amplification.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:56 pm

I get the gist, if not the specifics. I'll put this subject on my required reading list and make a point of learning more when I'm not being expected to help the wife prepare the house for our Thanksgiving guests tomorrow. I appreciate it.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks for posting the photos Gerlinde. Very nice!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Previous

Return to Computer Issues