They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Will my Win7 discs works on a new machine?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: Will my Win7 discs works on a new machine?

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 am

Yes, the non-oem retail package is not bound to a specific PC like the oem license is. If the PC fails and has to be replaced, you can install (i.e. "transfer") the package on the new machine. You cannot install it on two machines simultaneously.

The license terms change with Windows 8. The OEM package can be transferred to another pc that you own.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:33 am

Bob wrote:The license terms change with Windows 8. The OEM package can be transferred to another pc that you own.

According to some, the rolling out of Windows 8 is going to cause many to conclude that Windows 7 is MS's best OS to date--and sales to soar while it is still available.

It's even possible, in one opinion, that shrink-wrapped packages of Windows 7 may become collectors' items.

Too far fetched?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Too far fetched?

Most likely.

The Modern UI (the UI formerly known as Metro), as it stands now is a mess for desktop machines. But, under the hood, the OS kernal is good. If the UI weren't so schizophrenic it would be fairly livable. I expect that we will see changes from Microsoft and independent developers that will help. Stardock's Start8 is one. Start8 provides a Windows 7 like start button, makes the Metro start screen more manageable from the desktop, and has a provision to boot into the Desktop. Not free, $5, but it will make things much easier if you primarily use the desktop.

I don't see any advantage for me to upgrade my existing machine to Windows 8. When it comes time to build a new system, I'll take another look and decide then.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 am

Bob wrote:Windows 7 should continue to be available for some time. Microsoft has not yet set the end of sales date. See this lifecyle fact sheet: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle

Very interesting read, Bob, however, I can't find any definition of the term "extended support" as opposed to "mainstream support." Does the former involve some sort of special request?

A related question, for when you have spare time, is with regard to virtualization programs.

Do I understand correctly that, if I have a backup (mirror image) of my current Win7 sp1 OS and programs on an external HDD and, a few years from now, my current highly-compatible hardware has failed, then all I would need to do is:

1) purchase whatever new hardware is available that is suitable for my needs
2) install a virtualization program and
3) restore my backup to that new machine and
4) I'll be up and running in the same way that I am now, i.e., with no noticable difference in function or speed?

If that is true then the mental status that I've been expecting for when that times comes, which is :-({|= will instead be :sunny:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:51 am

George Tyndall wrote:Do I understand correctly that, if I have a backup (mirror image) of my current Win7 sp1 OS and programs on an external HDD and, a few years from now, my current highly-compatible hardware has failed, then all I would need to do is:

1) purchase whatever new hardware is available that is suitable for my needs
2) install a virtualization program and
3) restore my backup to that new machine and
4) I'll be up and running in the same way that I am now, i.e., with no noticeable difference in function or speed?

Maybe.
Virtualization programs can be a bit unpredictable. Some programs may run just fine, while others may run with limited features or not at all.
Peru

Previous

Return to Computer Issues