They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

new computer

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

new computer

Postby gail spiro » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi- I'm switching computers! After 6 years of hard use- my Dell has outlived its ability to edit my videos-
Unfortunately I found this out in the middle of a big job with a deadline. Fortunately the new HP arrived today.
(as a side note, when my husband ordered it, the guy at HP asked us if we were using it to program the Space Shuttle!).
One of my biggest concerns is NOT losing my organizer's organization. I've literally spent years importing, tagging, albumizing all my supplies and photos.
Any tips/suggestions/Hints from anyone BEFORE I attempt the switch?
My 2nd biggest concern is what happens with all the add-ons I've added to my editor through the years? ie styles, brushes, actions,etc.(they've been lovingly placed in all the right foldres such as photo creation, etc.
Will they transfer over intact, or do I have to redo all that, too?
By the way, I'm using elements 6 because I like it better than the newer versions, which I find to be "glitchy".
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: new computer

Postby Barb O » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:30 pm

One of my biggest concerns is NOT losing my organizer's organization. I've literally spent years importing, tagging, albumizing all my supplies and photos............I'm using elements 6

I don't immediately have an Elements 6 to reference: version 7 was much better for me.

general considerations are

1-- media files (photos or videos) that are in the Organizer catalog BUT have been moved using Windows Explorer need to have their Elements Catalog information fixed before you do an upgrade to the new version. There is a Reconnect Missing Files function that will correct many of these problems.

Please tell us - Did you move or delete photo or video files using Windows Explorer AFTER you had those files in the PSE Catalog ?

2-- Where on the hard drive do you currently store your photo and video files ? Did you use the PSE default locations for all users or for a specific Windows userid? Did you use an external hard drive for your photo or video files ?

3-- is your old computer running Windows XP ? your new computer is probably is Windows 7
FYI - Most people I know who went from XP old PC to W7 new PC needed to use the PSE Organizer Backup function on the old and the PSE Restore function on the new PC. The various Windows transfer functions did not work effectively for the PSE Organizer Catalog.

4-- Do you also have video files in your PSE 6 Organizer catalog ? Did you use Premiere Elements (think it was PE4) when using PSE 6?

5-- Some people have installed their new version of the elements products (PS Elements and Prem Elements and Organizer) on their old PC and done the Catalog upgrade to the new version on the old PC first. Then they did the PSE backup function on old PC and PSE restore function on new PC. function. I don't know if this will be the best approach for you -- but I mention it now so you are aware of it.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues