They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What would you do?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

What would you do?

Postby Doreen L. » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:06 am

I'm looking at new computers again and like some imput. I'm looking at the Dells (they've been good to us). If you could choose between Athion or Intel 2DUO which would you choose? And is it worth it to go for the fastest processor? Also, does anyone know about the nVidia GE Force LE? Does it support 2 monitors and will it work with PE2? And lastly, does PE2 work with Vista? Yeah, I'm not happy about that and I'm wondering if you can get XP instead or am I overreacting. Thanks!!

Forgot. Does anyone know if there's any real difference between the XPS410 and the Dimension E520?
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:53 am

Regarding the processors... no question, Intel Core 2 Duo wins hands down over the AMD dual core processors. I have both and the Intel is much faster. Take a look at this report comparing the two...
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/07/14/co ... index.html
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: What would you do?

Postby Briantho » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 am

Doreen L. wrote:...And lastly, does PE2 work with Vista?...

I think you're out of luck there but PE3 isn't very expensive, eh?!

I agree about Dell: soon after buying my desktop 3-4 years ago I was MOST unhappy but once SP2 appeared it became VERY stable.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Jayell » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:12 am

Hi Doreen,

Yes, I've always purchased Dells .. more out of habit than anything. I just purchased the Dell XPS 410. However, I ordered it late last year to make sure I did NOT get Vista. I thought I'd heard comments that the there were issues with PE and non Intel processors (but would have to review the Adobe forums for confirmation of that) .. and get more recent opinions here.

My only complaint was that the sound card does not allow recording of sounds from within the computer (in other words, there is no 'stereo mix' .. or 'what you hear' option for recording :( And I understand this is pretty common on all recent Dells (Sigmatel cards).. so make sure you ask if that matters to you.

I always purchase the most computer I can afford, since it's going to be yesterday's news pretty quickly anyway .. or one step back for the best value.

Don't know about that specific nVidia model .. I got the nVideo GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card (how did we e-v-e-r live without dual monitors!! I'm running a new flat panel, along with my old CRT monitor and am very pleased.

In Tucson we now have Dell kiosks in one of the local malls, so I went in to make sure they answered all of my questions as the order was being entered. I t-h-i-n-k with Dell you can also place the order online.. then call and get additional input before the order gets too far along. In fact I called a week or so later and added something to my order (although it delayed delivery).

Good luck!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:16 am

I think one the differences between the two models you mentioned was which operating system you get. I did not want Media Center, so went with XP pro. You can go online and compare models side-by-side, which I spent a lot of time doing.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Briantho » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:20 am

jayell wrote:...My only complaint was that the sound card does not allow recording of sounds from within the computer (in other words, there is no 'stereo mix' .. or 'what you hear' option for recording :( ...

Mmm.. does that mean that somehow Total Recorder would not work? Not that I use it much but it's been brilliant when I've needed it :)
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Jayell » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:24 am

I don't know about Total Recorder .. but Audacity looks for those same settings. I just never thought to ask about that. I assumed it came on all computers :cry: I understand HP has updated their driver (or whatever), but I don't t-h-i-n-k Dell has addressed the issue.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:45 am

It's all based on the sound card, the standard onboard audio will not provide that function, you need a little bit of an upgrade is all.

I have used Dell computers for over 6 years now and have been very happy. I agree with XP Pro over Media Center. Most of the new models are dual core with lots of RAM. I love the Dell outlet, never bothers me to buy a refurbished machine, probably is in better condition than a brand new one out of the box.

On another note, Total Recorder has cause problems with Premiere Elements 1 and 2 so be carefull of that one. Robert Johnston has tested a newer version and I believe he had it working with Premiere Elements 3. There are also some tricks to turn off/disable the software while using Premiere Elements I think.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

My two cents and info

Postby Maxine370 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:46 am

Have the XPS 600 and I do have the "What you Hear" record option. PS the 710s come without Vista (XP instead) but will come with an express upgrade to VIsta option. Not sure I'd want Vista just yet. Too New.

I agree about Intell over AMD for sure.

I've been very happy with the XPS 600...not sure if you can still get a 600, I think the 710's replaced it.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:52 am

The 710 would be a good choice, there are those and 600 available at the Dell Outlet for around $800 and up
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSale ... l=en&s=dfh

Be sure to sort by price ;)
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Doreen L. » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:12 pm

Wow, thanks for all the input. I did call Dell and the nVidia7900 card does not support duel monitors, so that's another upgrade. And it looks like the Intel is the way to go.

Jayell, which processor do you have? I'm wondering if the 1.8Ghz is enough or should I upgrade to the 2.4Ghz?

I've been looking at the Dell Outlet. I have to do some math cause the majority of the XPS410 have the nVidia card that doesn't support two monitors plus we will need another monitor because my oldest will be taking this computer to college in the Fall (OMG-I'm having a hard time with that reality). BTW, the guy at Dell said I could get the 710 without a monitor with the video card that supports two monitors for about $1300.

I'm so confused :shock:
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:18 pm

I got the 2.13GHz E6400 Intel Core 2 Duo.. with 2GB of memory. I know there have been some issues with 2GB or more of memory. I've only done a couple small videos since getting the new one, so not sure if I can confirm or deny that problem. I keep wondering if the problems with 2GB of memory is on a new machines .. or those who have upgraded an older machine. Really wish we could figure that one out.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 pm

1.8 is not bad, faster than a 3.4ghz HT machine. I have a new Core 2 Duo laptop with a 2.o ghz, it is much faster than my 3.0ghz HT desktop :)

Look for PCI Express video, ATI Radeon X1950 XTX is one example that is available (look for 512mb video). It has standard video and a DVI video port, you can buy an adapter Standard/DVI for about $15 and it works great. That is what I have on my PC at home ATI SE300x with Std and DVI, two monitors connected and it works just fine, GPU and all.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:47 pm

I suggest reading this other topic where Paul LS describes how he uses a newer video card that not only has two (2) DVI outputs but also has component analog output which he uses to view HD format video on a conventional DVD. You would, of course need a suitable LCD display with component inputs.

http://muvipix.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=89

I neglected to ask Paul LS if he uses it to preview the Timeline like we do with external monitor TVs.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Doreen L. » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:43 pm

I DID IT!!! There was only one refurbished unit at the Dell Outlet that had XP Professional and I've been watching it since this afternoon. I lost it for about two hours tonight but then it came back and my husband said just buy the d.... thing before you drive me nuts. I figured with everything being Vista, my chances of seeing XP Pro would be slim.

XPS410
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4GHz
2 GB RAM
2 320GB hard drives
256MB ATI Radion x1300PRO

There's really no choices on the video card and this will support two monitors for now. The only thing it doesn't have is the IEEE but we think we can pull that out of this computer. I'm soooo excited!!! 640 GB of hard drive - I'm in video heaven.\:D/

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Computer Issues