They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Built a new video editing computer

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: Built a new video editing computer

Postby rustysterling » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Condolences JR.

Jeffterm: Yup, same Choo Choo Soul. That's my daughter, Genevieve. And we can't wait for the new videos.
Abit IP35 Pro MoBo|Q6600 CPU GO 2.4Ghz|4x1G Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400 RAM|WD Raptor 150GB HDD|(2) Seagate 320GB RAID 0|LG Blu-Ray/DVD R/RW|Pioneer DVD/CD R/RW|Vision Tek HD2600 Pro 512Mb|Windows XP Pro SP2|PC P&C PSU 610 Silencer|Cooler Master 690 case
rustysterling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:30 pm

jeffterm,

Please post the URL for that list. It is time to start acquiring parts!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rustysterling » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:37 pm

Abit IP35 Pro MoBo|Q6600 CPU GO 2.4Ghz|4x1G Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400 RAM|WD Raptor 150GB HDD|(2) Seagate 320GB RAID 0|LG Blu-Ray/DVD R/RW|Pioneer DVD/CD R/RW|Vision Tek HD2600 Pro 512Mb|Windows XP Pro SP2|PC P&C PSU 610 Silencer|Cooler Master 690 case
rustysterling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rustysterling » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:51 pm

I've been working at overclocking the CPU since the weekend. Had some trouble but kept reading what I could find online. Finally had an AH HA moment and realized I had to change the CPU:DDR2 ratio from the default 4:5 to 1:1.2 and that did the trick. Then it was a matter of tweaking the FSB to get the clock speed I wanted. I did it in short stages but finally pumped it up to 356MHz.

I'm clocking at 3.2GHz on this 2.4GHz processor with temps on the CPU at 42C while under load with the Prime 95 stress utility. It's been stable for a couple of hours now and I think I'm going to leave it running all night to see what happens. But I'm confident that it's going to remain stable. All four cores have been running at 100% all evening and the temps is stable. In fact the system temp under load is a frosty 24C. The CPU at idle is a very frosty 21C. I love this stuff and I'm so satisfied that I could build this machine and have it exceed my expectations.

Next up, loading the software and then doing further tests with some video editing.
rustysterling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Clayton » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:40 am

Welcome back to the forum Rusty! \:D/
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JRjr » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 am

rustysterling wrote:Condolences JR.

Thanks Rusty, and Chuck too.

I received a link from ridon127 (thanks again for your help) for Photoshop CS3 for $299, but cannot find, if it even exists, the one mentioned in the first post of this thread, for Prem Pro for $299.

Could someone direct me to it if you know about it? I understand that it expires tomorrow.

Thanks.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:21 am

Must have just been the Photoshop deal, if anyone has a coupon for Premiere Pro please let JR know :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JRjr » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 am

A quick follow-up to my previous post from this morning. (and thanks Chuck.. I just saw your post)

I decided to call Adobe directly to inquire about the Premiere Pro CS3 offer, and I was given a code (GETPSCS), and then transfered to sales.

Sales (Ralph) looked this code up, but could not locate it in their system. But once he verified that I am in fact a registered PE4 user, he went ahead and gave me the $299 discount (plus tax) and a $5.00 shipping fee... ie: I get the box version as well!

The salesman could not have been nicer or more accomodating.

Am I excited? :bounce:

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:25 am

Wow, great to hear JR, what phone number did you call? Just in case someone else would like to see about getting the deal also :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JRjr » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:33 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Wow, great to hear JR, what phone number did you call? Just in case someone else would like to see about getting the deal also :)

I used this number to call: 800-833-6687 opt 1.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby jeffterm » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:50 pm

Of course now that I'm looking for it, I can't find the link: will keep looking. But to paraphrase from memory:

Order of purchase:
case
PSU
Optical drives
CPU cooling
Motherboard
Video card
CPU
Memory

Memory and CPU are obviously the most price variable. But the top of the list rarely changes over a 3 month span. The other issue to keep in mind is the idea that if something powers up faulty, you end up pushing the return/exchange date. I shopped for my case and PSU looking for Free after rebate stuff. Dragging my feet, looking for tech specs that probably weren't necessary but when I found a good rebate jumped on it. When the rebate came back used that money to buy the next step. My case is an older model gamer case with awsome cooling - cost $10 after rebate - only its bright a$$ red and a glowing cobra is looking out from my desk. My wife ridicules it, but how often does she come into my editing office? :-D
Committed myself to a gigabyte MB early, and prices there don't move too often, and the better boards are rarely bundled. Then I bought the memory with a solid $75 after rebate for a 2 gig deal, back when a gig was still $100 a gig. Then wrapped the whole thing up buying a Q6600 on a generic MB combo for the cost of a Q6600. Free motherboard I told myself I'd sell on ebay but still haven't. :)
Last spring Intel announced two distinct price cuts, just when I was going to buy. So of course it killed me to have to wait another month waiting for the $35 drop, then they announced another $35 drop a month later. I finally just pulled the trigger. :razz:

I'll keep looking for the article - so you wont have to take my word for any of this. - But I still hope it helps.
jeffterm

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Thanks for the list, Jeff. It is a good strategy. The only problem I see is that some CPU coolers are quite large and may not fit properly in the somewhat restricted space of a midsize case. It would be good to have the MB/CPU mounted to make sure it fits - not all do.

Also, RAM bargains are available now - such as I haven't seen in a long time. If you are going to stay with DDR2 this is a good time to buy.

I can't afford to go Cadillac like Rusty. I much prefer generic cases even though they usually cut your fingers trying to work inside them. And, THEY MUST BE BIEGE! My case must be as unabtrusive as possible - blend in and dissappear from view, if possible. I want nothing to call attention to the box - it's just a box!

Speaking of "gamer" gimmiky stuff, I bought a couple of cheap case fans a couple of years ago - they had flashing colored LEDs mounted around the frame! I just snipped the leads going to the LEDs. Silly!

The beauty of the desktop Personal Computer, as it has evolved, is that you can get parts from anywhere in the world that fit perfectly. And a multitude of vendors are competing on price - driving the prices down (actually so much that repair shops have a tough time). Two and half years ago I built the Videoguys DIY $2000 rig - for $800 usd. I thought I was Cadillacin' pretty good then.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby jeffterm » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:20 pm

My Quad setup probly ran me about $700 after all the rebates. quarter of that being the CPU. But I pretty much planned out the build - knowing that the cooler I was waiting to go on sale WOULD fit with my chip and motherboard selection. Watching motherboards and their revisions to see what sales happen. Reading the tech forums to gleen what combos cause problems, work great, or otherwise.

Once I choose my course, I tried not to vary - to avoid the 'wrong size' issue you mentioned. It also helped to determine the good price for what I was shopping for. I almost fell for the marketing trap of seeing a 'great advertised price' only to find out that it is the regular asking price, just posted in Saturday's paper.

I also propose that each round 'we' make building our units determines where we choose to splurge a little more next time. Yes, next time I'll grab the $200 P180 case when it goes on sale for $45.00 instead of grabbing the $100 case I did for $10.00. But next time I'll also be more serious about having multiple burners. etc. etc. I do like the temp read out though. Say what you will about gamers - they know how to tweak out every Hz, and keep it cool. I pinched myself once - but didn't draw blood. \:D/

I tell myself that the hunt for components is part of the fun. OK - I'm sorry my geek is showing. :oops:
jeffterm

Postby rustysterling » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:16 am

One bit of advice I will offer up: don't buy a case that comes with a PSU. The PSU is likely to be a very cheap unit and under powered. The PSU is one of the most important components. And don't be swayed by ads stating "four 12V rails". This is a gimmick and the rails are likely to be under amped. A single 12 volt rails with high amperage is the way to go. My PSU is a 610Watt, with one 12V rail rated at 48Amps. The reason amperage is so important is that you need to provide power with equal or greater amps than a device might require. If you have less than the amperage required for a device it just plain will not run.
rustysterling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rustysterling » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:46 pm

I decided to do an upgrade to a Blu-Ray burner, since my software supports burning Blu-Ray. Got an LG and it will also read HD DVDs as well.
rustysterling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Computer Issues