They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Separating voice from instruments

When music makes the video, discuss and recommend soundtracks for specific themes/subjects.

Separating voice from instruments

Postby Cinde » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:27 pm

Is there any affordable software that will separate voices from the instrumental music in a wav, mp3, etc?

I already have Roxio Sound Editor (bundled with Roxio Creator 9) but have limited experience using it except for making cuts from wav, midi, etc to use with videos.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gooder » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:13 am

Hello Cinde,

The software that came with my sound card enables me to cut the voice (voice suppression) from many songs (instruments) with great results!

You could try looking for software that has a karoke or voice suppression feature.

I guess you are wanting to keep the songs and take away most of the singing! Yes, it can be done but there will always be a little trace of the voice left in the end result.

That could also depend on the stereo image of the actual song!

Hope it helps

Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:48 pm

In some dedicated WAV file editing programs, you can import the video file and it lets the user edit the WAV file with out disturbing the video track.

The WAV file editor that I use has a “cancel vocals” effect that cancels the vocals. Adobe Audition has this and I think something in the Vegas product family does too.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:40 am

Compared to Adobe Audition, Roxio does a decent job of removing vocals or instrumentation. How good it sounds depends on how the recording was made in the first place. Adobe Audition uses the Central Channel Extractor filter. Roxio uses the Devoicer sound effect.

Take Aerosmith recordings like "Crazy," I can completely remove the vocals. In Roxio, to remove the instrumentation, check the option for "difference." Not all insturmentation can be completely removed.

There may be a Karaoke version of a song you are interested in. You buy them online just like any other music track.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:15 am

Came across this tutorial. On Audacity for voice removal. I tried it on a couple songs it didn't work to great for me. But I thought I'd post it anyway in case others have more luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXiKYG3J7M
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Music ~~ & Video