They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My Top 50 Albums of All Time

When music makes the video, discuss and recommend soundtracks for specific themes/subjects.

Re: My Top 50 Albums of All Time

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:58 pm

I love how we can mix Carmen with ZZTop
Steven Curtis Chapman with Bad Company
and Ray Boltz with Steve Miller :)

Must be getting older 8-[

Bob Dylan - "Blood on the Tracks" (my all time number one!)

Ed, somehow I think I might have been able to guess that one :)

Weather Report and George Benson are great choices, so is Marshall Crenshaw.
I must admit I have never heard of a few of those bands :-k

Did you know that Glen Campbell played lead guitar on Pet Sounds?
He is in a category all of his own when it comes to guitar.

Here is a great article
http://www.americanheritage.com/article ... sell.shtml
Check down toward the bottom, they have a top 10 album list from the 60's, pretty good stuff.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:12 pm

I knew he played on some of the tracks and took Brian Wilson's place on tour, but didn't know he playied the lead Chuck. The guys from The Wondermints are now Brian Wilson's back up band, and helped him arrange and produce the Smile CD he put out a few years ago. They're great, but put their music on hold to work with him. If you haven't heard of Ry Cooder you should check him out. He is an amazing slide guitar player. He's done a lot of work with Bonnie Rait and Jackson Browne just to name a few.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 pm

Bonnie Raitt "Luck of the Draw" and Jackson Browne "Running On Empty", two more great names and albums.

I also like Garland Jefferies and his version of 99 Tears, I bet you know who that is Ed :)

Glen Campbell did not play lead on all tracks but did play guitar on most of them.
He was a great studio musician and an amazing guitar player (still is for that matter).

EDIT: The most information I could find is that he played on 5 of the 14 tracks, not quite as many as I had heard.

From Wiki:
He (Glen Campbell) was a touring member of The Beach Boys, filling in for an ailing Brian Wilson in 1964 and 1965. He played guitar on the group's Pet Sounds album, among other recordings. On tour, he played bass and sang high harmony.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campbell

He has some amazing credits to his name.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:30 am

Chuck, I remember watching Glen Campbell's TV show when I was a kid. If I remember correctly the Jackson 5 where frequent guests back when they started to hit the scene.

Check out this cover of "Wichita Lineman" by Pat Dinizio of Smithereens fame. He took a year off and traveled the country in a "Living Room" tour (wish he had played at my house!). Then he put a CD ("This is Pat Dinizio") of mostly cover songs together with just him playing piano and singing. It's perfect for a dinner party or a quiet evening at home. http://edmann.net/whatnot/Wichita_Lineman.mp3

He also did a cover of The Association's "Everything That Touches You" that I would use for sure if I ever video another wedding: maybe as the bride is getting ready. http://edmann.net/whatnot/Everything_Th ... es_You.mp3

You can get it on iTunes or amazon.com
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Doreen L. » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:53 am

This is tough. I haven't looked at our old lps in years. Pet Sounds was one of my all time favorites. I would also add

Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run
Carly Simon's No Secrets
Allman Bros Eat a Peach (I think it was that one)
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (I can't think of a particular album)
Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees
James Taylor Sweet Baby James
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cdeemer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Here are four I cannot live without: The Best of Little Walter ... The Best of Chris Connor ... Ramblin' Jack Elliott Sings The Songs Of Woody Guthrie ... and Lotte Lenya in Weill/Brecht's The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby dberthia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:39 pm

For what it's worth, here's my list:
http://www.davesden.com/41/my-top-50-albums
dberthia

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks for sharing Dave, some really interesting stuff there.
You have a wide range of tastes and the list shows, there are some really great albums there :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:46 pm

This is a truly great list, Dave! and I love your write-ups for each album.

I'm eager to check out some of your titles!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:52 pm

Until now I've not been able to add anything here as it's all about discs with tracks as opposed to the classical stuff I prefer. I have a few albums that I have bought because there was one track or maybe two (if I was lucky) I really liked. That applied (applies) to pop, jazz, whatever. In all cases the rest of the disc has always turned out to be disappointing filler. That's what I like about the iTune approach - buy what you like and send a clear message back to the writers, performers and distributors!

However, at last I've found an album that is consistently BRILLIANT: "Be Thou My Vision - Sacred music by John Rutter", all 21 tracks of it. I stumbled over it the other day and now I fear I'll soon be driving those closest to me slightly crazy :-)
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to Music ~~ & Video