They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Music for thrilling/danger situation

When music makes the video, discuss and recommend soundtracks for specific themes/subjects.

Re: Music for thrilling/danger situation

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:44 pm

For the THX sound I would go here
http://www.thx.com/cinema/trailers.html
and then record the sound with Audacity.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Bill Hunt wrote:Ryan, depending on the studied answers for my above question, tell me a bit about which programs you are using and about your Project's Audio. I did my composition for both DD 5.1 SS (AC3) and DTS for DTS encoding by the SurCode encoder. It features Panning in both L-R and F-R planes (for my uses), hence the AC3 format. If you are only doing stereo, would you like the sound to go R -> L, or L -> R? Or, can you use an AC3 DD 5.1 SS file? This will depend on both your programs and your Project's settings. I can easily re-work my SFX to match whatever you need and provide it to you as a PCM/WAV 16-bit 48KHz file, or as an AC3. Again, your Project's settings may dictate one, or the other. I can also Export at a lower sample rate, but if you're going to DVD, then the 48KHz rate is best - no need to resample from, say 44.1KHz up to the final 48KHz rate.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for helping me out. I am only searching for SFX sound in mp3 format so I supposed it is in stereo. R to L or L to R are both fine with me. But I am not sure about the legal implication.

The link below provided by Chuck:
http://www.thx.com/cinema/trailers.html

is excellent. Amazing_Life.wmv and grand.wmv are good for me.

Can I use the file since I am only using them for personal use ? I only intend to use them so that my 8 year old boy is impress with his daddy. At most, I will show relatives that come to my house. I won't be selling or anything like that. So am I allowed to use it ?

But before that, I can click to view it but I cannot save it to my HDD. How do I download it to my hard disc ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Ryan, You will need to record the audio to your computer using Audacity or another audio recorder.
You won't be able to download the file directly, at least not from that site.

Once you record the audio I don't think you should worry about using it.
Unless you are going to sell the DVD or broadcast it somewhere you should be fine.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:44 pm

There are tutorials in the products section on 'Recording With Audacity', it is amazing what you can do with this free program.
A necessary tool for any video editors toolbox :)

I will upload one of the THX effects that I recorded, you can do the other one :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Ryan, When the video opens in Media Player select File/Save As and you can save the WMV file to your computer.
Then you can add the WMV to a Premiere Elements project and just delete the video and use only the audio portion of the clip.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Unless you are going to sell the DVD or broadcast it somewhere you should be fine.

Broadcasting would include posting on the Internet (i.e. Youtube or the like or even here). Just remember that the THX "Deep Note" sound is a registered trademark and THX is *VERY* protective of their property.
Bob

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:09 pm

Bob wrote:

Broadcasting would include posting on the Internet (i.e. Youtube or the like or even here). Just remember that the THX "Deep Note" sound is a registered trademark and THX is *VERY* protective of their property.

Thanks for the reminder. I won't be posting it on the Tube
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:11 pm

By broadcasting I also mean the internet.

If you are going to use it ONLY in a personal video for you and your family, not make or distribute copies, and not broadcasting or posting on the internet, not selling or attempting to resell the soundtrack, not walking backwards in a windstorm and not eating carrots from California, it might be ok to use the sound just for this one project :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:11 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Ryan, When the video opens in Media Player select File/Save As and you can save the WMV file to your computer.
Then you can add the WMV to a Premiere Elements project and just delete the video and use only the audio portion of the clip.

Thanks Chuck,

But the video did not open up in Media Player. There is also no File/Save As function.

I have seen your tutorial in Audacity. Looks like I've got to go that direction. Can I trouble you to post the link to download Audacity ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:20 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:....not walking backwards in a windstorm and not eating carrots from California.....

....but is it OK if I am walking forwards in the sunshine and eating carrots from Pennsylvania? :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 pm

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Chuck, I was doing ok until you got to that part about eating California carrots. :lol:
Bob

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:By broadcasting I also mean the internet.

If you are going to use it ONLY in a personal video for you and your family, not make or distribute copies, and not broadcasting or posting on the internet, not selling or attempting to resell the soundtrack, not walking backwards in a windstorm and not eating carrots from California, it might be ok to use the sound just for this one project :)

What about if my mom wants me to make her a copy so that she can show her friends at her home ?
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Bob wrote:http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Thanks Bob but the program says it cannot save becos I need to get some "LAME" files but It cannot find.

Any ideas ?
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Ryan, It all depends on how much of a chance you think you are taking and if you can afford the fine #-o
You may not get caught, but then again you may. What if your Mom loans the DVD to a friend that gives it to her son who just happens to work for THX?
Then what?

Personally (and as they say - 'This is not the opinion of Muvipix or any subsidiary')
I don't think it hurts anyone to use any music for a personal video project.
I buy the songs whenever I have the option, for something like this there is no option that I know of.
If I am making a few copies for family I don't really care, I am not selling them and I am not giving them a music video, although the video may include music.
It is all a matter of what you personally think and what you think is a risk or not. Do what you think is the right thing to do ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:52 pm

ryan_khoo wrote:
Bob wrote:http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Thanks Bob but the program says it cannot save becos I need to get some "LAME" files but It cannot find.

Any ideas ?

From the Audacity page you need to install the LAME encoder also. Then in Audacity you have to set it up under preferences.
I think most of the instructions are in my Audacity tutorials.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Music ~~ & Video