They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVI vs MPEG -- Which do you prefer, and when?

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: AVI vs MPEG -- Which do you prefer, and when?

Postby jackfalbey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:00 pm

If you're delivering 1080i, you'll want to shoot & edit in 1080i to maintain image integrity from beginning to end and avoid up- or downscaling. Both of your cams shoot in 1080i, so you're good there. If your computer can handle AVCHD I'd say go with the XR550v just for the sheer convenience of not having to buy tapes, carry them around, and change them every hour when you're shooting.

As far as the technical terminology goes, you'll probably gain a lot of insight with a little self-guided crash course in video-speak starting with this Wikipedia article and then follow up with articles on video codecs, video compression, and container formats. It might take a few hours to take it all in, but you'll have a really good understanding of what it all means for you & your work.

Matthew Max wrote:Sony XR550V: ACHDV. Doesn't hold the sudden movement well.

That's a common flaw with CMOS sensors. It has to do with the way the sensor records video and it does make lateral movement appear to wobble. If shooting action video is something you do for a living, or plan to, you might want to consider moving up to a prosumer camcorder with CCD sensors like the Panasonic HMC150. The resulting video will be much better than either of the compact camcorders you've been using.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I think that one of the primary concerns is the end result, what do you want it to be?
Is it going to be standard definition video on the internet or high definition on the internet, will you make DVDs, how about Blu Ray?

I think Chuck makes a good point here.

I would suggest that most users here do not deliver their videos (for playback) as HD simply because either they don't have an HD capable camera (less likely these days) or they don't have BluRay players (the take up of these has been very slow). So the choice of an HD or SD workflow is driven by those considerations.

Having said that a number of folk here record in HD and downscale to SD for delivery. This is especially relevant when distributing DVDs to family and friends as the chances are they are not using BluRay either. The HD material is retained for subsequent re-editing when they have acquired an HD delivery capability.

In your own case you appear to use primarily 1080i so Jack's advice on workflow is spot on.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Matthew Max » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:47 am

Jack and John, you're helping me. And I have been taking those crash courses during this discussion in order to make sense of the comments. I will continue to do so.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Matthew Max » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:36 am

In regard to all this, it doesn't sound like anyone's recommending against shooting 1080i. I understand you all to be saying that the main thing is to keep everything as compatible as possible.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:39 am

It's like figuring out which shoes to wear, Max.

Sometimes you need a good pair of winter boots -- other times you just need a pair of sneakers. And as long as you don't wear slippers to a job interview, there is no truly wrong answer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Matthew Max » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:46 am

Okay, then, I think I honestly understand the situation.

Way to boil it down.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Camcorders