They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Advice on wireless mic

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Advice on wireless mic

Postby imsam67 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi,

I have a Canon Vixia HF200 and would like to buy inexpensive wireless mic(s) that will work well with my camcorder.

I've read a few articles about the Azden WMS Pro Kit that comes with one lavalier and one handheld mic which seems to work very well and inexpensive. Two questions:

1. I would prefer two lavalier mics. Does Azden offer a kit with two lavalier mics as opposed to one handheld and one lavalier?
2. I understand that the this kit provides mono feed into the camera which I believe means, I'll have audio coming out of one speaker only. In this video, the host is talking about getting around this by getting a different cable. Could someone tell me what type of cable I need to get? Here's the video:
Looks like the forum doesn't let new users link to videos -- another example of a few rotten apples ruining it for everyone. The title of the video is "Affordable wireless microphone for your camcorder lavalier". If you do a search on YouTube, you should see the video.

Thanks,

Sam
imsam67
New User
New User

Re: Advice on wireless mic

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Sam, Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

If you can't go with Shure or Audio Technica (two of the best middle of the road options) that might be a good option.
Check out the wireless selection at B&H, they have a few options that are a little cheaper than the Azden and B&H doesn't sell junk in my opinion.

B&H Site

If the mic only provides mono sound it may not make a difference depending on the mic input of the camera.
Are there separate jacks for the right and left channels?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:55 am

I have a Sony wireless (approx $99.00 USD) that works well. It is a mono mic that is configured to input a mono signal to both the left and right channel. I kind of like this as I mix video that is stereo with the mono voice over. For some reason it kind of makes the mono signal stand out in the mix. Also the mic plugs into the transmitter so I can also plug in a hand held mic instead of the small clip on mic.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby imsam67 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Sidd,

Thanks for your response. Could you please give me the model number for the mic kit and tell me where you got it from?

I assume, it would be compatible with my Canon camcorder.

Thanks,

Sam
imsam67
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Sony WCS999 Wireless Camcorder Microphone

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WCS999-Camco ... 544&sr=8-1

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Camcorders