They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SONY HDR-CX110E

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

SONY HDR-CX110E

Postby Little Nac » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:38 am

Hi Guys.
When we were away on a trip a couple of weeks back, I bought a new Sony Handycam Model # HDR-CX110E (the "E" standing for the European Model).
I'm gradually working my way through the paper-work on the operation of the unit, but am having problems with shooting indoors. The Handycam does not come with a flash, but it does have a Low Lux setting, which does not seem to do too much at all. The video and stills outdoors are brilliant, but unfortunately the indoor video and stills are shocking. They are all blotchy, and it doesn't matter what setting it is on, virtually the same results.
I phoned Sony about it and basically they didn't have a clue. They tried to tell me that because the Megapixels were only 3.5, I couldn't expect a good picture. I explained to them that I had a Fuji I had bought in Hawaii about 10 years ago and it only has 1.5 Mp and it takes a brilliant photo, inside and out. They didn't want to know about it. I also told them that my Panasonic DV SD camera also took fantastic shots and also my wife's Panasonic HD camera takes great shots inside and out. I even took it to the Sony Authorized Technician, and he told me I couldn't expect a decent picture from a camera that only costs $650. Even a salesman (if you could call him that), told me I couldn't expect to take stills with a video camera. I should have two cameras. I don't know how half these guys even exist!
So if anyone out there has a similar experience or has any ideas how to fix the inside shots, I would appreciate all the help I can get. It's obvious that the Sony people don't have a clue!
Thanks in advance.
Regards to all. ](*,)
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: SONY HDR-CX110E

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:01 am

Could you post a still or a capture that shows the problem.
Bob

Postby Little Nac » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:33 am

Hi Bob.
Thank you for the quick reply.
Here is a jpg of a typical indoor still pic. The videos are virtually the same.
I'm not very good at attaching a file in this Forum, so hope it works.
Anyway, here goes.
Thanks once again.

DSC00033.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:52 am

I had a play around with your pic using NeatVideo to remove some of the noise and colour correction (in PPro) to brighten up the image.
The result was much improved so that might help in the short term but, sorry, it doesn't explain why the start pic is so poor. :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:03 am

The image is underexposed and noisy in both luma and chroma. Noise is usually a consequence of low lighting and the camcorder having to use a high gain to compensate. That's not unusual. And, as John indicated, a noise reduction plugin can help with that. But, the low Lux setting should have made a difference in the brightness. You might try manually adjusting the exposure and see if you can brighten it up. If you can't get a bright enough image adjusting the exposure and/or using the low lux setting, you may have to use an auxiliary light for indoors shooting. That will also help to reduce the noise.
Bob

Postby Paul LS » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:11 am

That looks like a pretty dark room. The low light feature in the camcorder will increase the gain to compensate for the low light which introduces the noise and grain. Have you tried The Sony and Panasonic HD camcorder side by side in the same room?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Little Nac » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks Guys for all the responses.
Yes we have tried the Panasonic and Sony side by side. The trouble is that the Sony has no flash, and the Panasonic has.
I've even tried it in a room with quite a bit of light, but the results are the same.
I am seriously thinking about taking the camera back today, as Sony gave me a special number to give to the retailer and they have agreed to return it and refund me.
I'll go then to several other stores, find out as much info that I can on cameras, and maybe look at a Panasonic. My wife has a Panasonic TZ7, but I believe the latest
one is a TZ10. I realize that it is not a Camcorder as such, but it does terrific video inside and out.
So once again Guys, thank you so much for all the advice.
Cheers. :neutral:
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Camcorders