They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

re-use of DV tapes for non-critical use

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

re-use of DV tapes for non-critical use

Postby Jayell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:41 pm

I know there's been discussions on re-use of DV tapes, but I'd like to ask the question from a slightly different angle. I use my camcorder a lot just for videoing animals on my property, which I put into an ongoing video mainly just for me .. or playing the piano so Mom can see/hear me playing. None of it is critical .. and once I capture it to disc, I re-use the tapes.

Assuming no wish to save the footage .. and the VERY highest quality not being critical .. how many times would YOU re-use these tapes? My only concern is serious degradation and maybe the tape breaking. Also I have tapes from 5-6 years ago? Is there any period of time after which it might just be better to buy new, due to age?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: re-use of DV tapes for non-critical use

Postby Bobby » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Jayell, tapes last a long time. Back when helical scan tape heads started to become available (early 1970s) they would scratch off the tape oxide in no time at all as there is physical contact between the rotating heads and the tape. A lot of very serious work went into creating tape lubricants, and now that issue is mostly a thing of the past.

Unless you can physically see long diagonal lines scratched in the tape oxide coating, they are probably OK. I regularly play old VHS and Hi8 tapes and don't see anything.

But I would invest in a good bulk tape eraser and erase before re-using.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: re-use of DV tapes for non-critical use

Postby Jayell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Bobby wrote:... But I would invest in a good bulk tape eraser and erase before re-using.

Hadn't even thought about that. Thanks for all your info, Bobby!Most of my tapes have only been used once .. for long ago vacations that are already on DVD. So I'd really like to make more use of them. Will look into the bulk eraser.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Camcorders