They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HV 30 and HD out

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

HV 30 and HD out

Postby mark hansen » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Now that I finally to an HD TV, I tried to use an HDMI cable as an out put to the TV. well, I tried to plug a normal size HDMI cable into the HV 30 and it won't plug in. Its close, but it doens't go. I didn't know there were two sizes of HDMI plugs, but the sizes are so different you can't get them mixed. sort of like the two sizes of USB. The Geek Squad guy that came to calibrate the TV said it should go in... but it doesn't. I tried the two ends of two cords.

Has anyone been able to plug a cord in your HV30 HDMI slot? Anything I should look for?

Thanks,
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: HV 30 and HD out

Postby Bobby » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi Mark. Yes, I have with no problem. I suspect something wrong with the camera connector.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Bobby wrote:I suspect something wrong with the camera connector.

Bobby, when I plug an HDMIcable into my HV30 and connect it to my Samsung HDTV, I get only video, no audio.

To get audio, I need to plug powered speakers into the headphones socket of the HV30.

Given that the TV has built-in speakers, should that be necessary?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:50 pm

George, you need to go into the TV setup and indicate for that input (whatever it is called or numbered) that the audio comes from the HDMI connection. Not all TVs and not all connections automatically determine the input "plug". I had to do that for mine...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks Bobby. I supected it might be that, but if something is wrong, its not my much, nothing looks bent ir out of alighment. But I know its doen't take much to do it.

Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Mark, see if you can bring it in to a store or have a friend with one that you can visually compare with. Bring the cable to the store and see if it plugs into another unit (although I am sure it will). Other than that, you may have to send it back to Canon - price unknown.

But I have to tell you that I don't do that much. It is pretty boring watching un-edited tape and the only reason I have done it on occasion is to see what the HD looks like as I don't have a Blu-Ray burner and all my projects thus far are SD DVDs. If you are editing HD they say you can get full 1920x1080 instead of 1440x1080 by using the HDMI to capture,but again only if you are equipped for HD editing.

So it boils down to how important the connection is to your particular usage.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:09 pm

thanks for the tip Bobby,
I compaired it with a friends and noticed two side thingies were sticking into the space a bit more than his. I bent them back and was able to get it in. I know I used some highly technical terms. :-D .. sorry I don't know wha tto call them, but it worked.

Thanks.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:05 am

Great Mark - glad to help. Just be gentle with it in the future and you should e OK.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders