They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Battery questions

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Battery questions

Postby peggig » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 pm

I just bought a new Canon HV40 and I got a Lenmar extended battery to go with it. The Lenmar battery instructions say:
This battery is kept uncharged for shipment.
Initially, battery may need to be fully charged and discharged to achieve maximum capacity.

I understand the part about charging it, but how do you fully discharge it? Does this mean I should put it in the camera and just run it until it's discharged, all at once, or does it just mean it should be fully discharged before charging it the second time, regardless of how long a period that may take between uses?

Also, should I do the same thing with the Canon battery that comes with the camcorder?

Is there any reason, other than convenience, to buy a separate battery charger rather than always charging the batteries in the camera? Will a battery charger charge any faster than the camera? Will charging the battery in-camera shorten the shelf life of the camera or battery?

Is it possible for the camera to overcharge the battery, if it's left charging overnight, or does it stop charging when the battery is fully charged?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Battery questions

Postby Bobby » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Yeah, just use it.

I have 3 batteries but use the camera charger. I really don't have a need for more than two batteries, but just wanted to be safe in case I am filming something big. But there is no critical need to charge more than one at a time.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:42 pm

I have this charger, or something very similar
http://astore.amazon.com/chuckengelsco- ... B001C1BQYK

It plugs into my car lighter or the wall and fits multiple size/type batteries including the Canon ZR950 and the HV40.

All that the battery instructions are saying is that the battery will not take a full charge the first time.
It needs to be used and completely discharged a few times before the battery is fully functional and hold a full charge.
This is typical of the ION and similar type batteries.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:25 am

Thanks, guys. Does anybody know if the camera will overcharge the battery if it's left in after it's fully charged? Or does it shut off the current when the battery is "full." I've heard overcharging can shorten the shelf life of Li-ion batteries.

I have a Lenmar charger for my DSLR batteries that specifically says it stops charging when the battery is full but, of course, the camcorder battery won't fit in it. If the camera has that same feature, then I'll just use the camera to charge the batteries. Otherwise, I'd probably buy another charger.

Anybody know?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:34 am

Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 am

My two Canon camcorders stop charging when the battery is full, so does the wall charger.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Peru wrote:You could try email support:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=17996

"Knowledge base is temporarily not available." I'll try again later. Thanks.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:10 pm

peggig wrote:
Peru wrote:You could try email support:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=17996

"Knowledge base is temporarily not available." I'll try again later. Thanks.

Use the email option rather than the knowledge base.
Peru

Postby Ronnie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:02 pm

What chemistry is the Lenmar battery?
Ronnie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby peggig » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:03 pm

It's a 7.4V, 2400mAh Li-ion battery. (Is that the inforation you're requesting, or is there something else I need to know?)
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ronnie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:41 pm

A Li-ion battery's charge is monitored by the using and charging device(s) to prevent damaged to the battery caused by over discharging or over charging. I have read that it is a good idea to periodically use a Li-ion battery until it will not power the device anymore then charge it completely before using it again. The purpose of this is to calibrate the way the battery’s charge is monitored. I wonder if the instructions to fully charge and discharge come from the same idea. If so this would not affect the actual capacity, but the camera’s ability to report the remaining battery life correctly. I speculate that this may be teh case because I have never heard of a Li-ion battery having memory problems. I think that if you charge the battery completely and use it normally until the camcorder shuts down due to a low battery, you will meet the instruction’s recommendation.

As for as your Canon battery goes, the same practice applies. It is a good idea to periodically use a Li-ion battery until it will not power the device anymore then charge it completely before using it again.

The is no reason for a separate charger other than convenience. If you do get one, make sure it is compatible in chemistry, voltage, charge rate and capacity of your battery.

It is okay to let your camcorder charge the battery over night. It will stop charging the battery when the battery is fully charged.

The most dangerous things you can with a Li-ion battery are to attempt to charge it with a charge not built to re-charge Li-ion batteries or to rapidly discharge it. To avoid a rapid discharge, only use the battery in your camcorder and put the protect cover on it when it is not mounted to your camcorder.
Ronnie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby peggig » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:33 pm

Ronnie wrote:To avoid a rapid discharge, only use the battery in your camcorder and put the protect cover on it when it is not mounted to your camcorder.

My one complaint about Lenmar batteries is that they don't come with a terminal cover. I haven't found a place where you can buy a separate cover, either. How do you protect the terminals of a battery that doesn't have a cover? In the past, I've kept them in a little plastic bag when not in use. I don't know if it helps or not. I'd be interested to know what other people do.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:00 pm

I use "little plastic bags"!

It is only a matter of voltage - and there isn't enough voltage in these batteries to harm anything. But, of course, the bag has to be intact...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Bobby wrote:I use "little plastic bags"!

It is only a matter of voltage - and there isn't enough voltage in these batteries to harm anything.

Ah, but the harm is not having a fully charged battery when you need it. ;)
Peru

Postby Bobby » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Peru wrote:Ah, but the harm is not having a fully charged battery when you need it. ;)

Don't understand Peru - I only meant that I put the (charged) batteries in little baggies - why would they not be fully charged or why would this be any different than having one of those plastic covers?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Camcorders