They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Capturing HDV on HP 64 bit machines

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Capturing HDV on HP 64 bit machines

Postby tonyman78 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:13 pm

I am new to this forum and would like some help if possible. I am OK with computers but not an expert.

I have just gotten an HDX16 Vista 64bit machine and I am having problems with HDV capture via a P1394 (firewire connection) from my Sony HC5 camera. The Computer recognizes the camera and installs the drivers. I Open the capture SW and I can control the camera from a playback, stop, rewind ..etc... However, I cannot preview the playback on the computer and cannot capture the file.

To make sure that there was no issue with the camera I have taken the camera to stores and have been able to capture on Dell and Gateway Vista 64 Bit machines with no problems. I use a freeware called HDVsplit to do the actual capturing but I also have Adobe Premier elements 4 and it has the same problem. I have used both HDvsplit and PE4 for the last two years on my previous HP Vista 32 Bit machine (9335nr) with NO ISSUES. I have done this on a completely "clean" factory system to make sure that there wasn't any SW conflicts. Finally, I also used the pre-installed Muvee SW to try and do the capture and still have the same problem when the camera is in HDV mode. If I put the camera in DV mode I can preview and capture from it, but obviously it defeats the purpose of taking the movie in HD.

Would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
tonyman78
New User
New User

Re: Capturing HDV on HP 64 bit machines

Postby Bobby » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Tony and Welcome to Muvipix!

I don't run 64 myself (yet) and so am no expert.

Lots of us use HDVSplit here (32) with no problems.

But your comment about DV vs. HDV concerns me. My Canon HV30 appears to the system differently depending on whether it is set to DV or HDV output. HDVSplit will not see the device if it is set for DV output, and WinDV (use it for DV) will not see the device if it is set for HDV.

Since it worked with a DV capture program, I am wondering if you don't have your Sony set to the wrong type of output. Just a thought...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby moviemaker » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:30 pm

i have a canon hv30, and a 64bit hp, i have pe4 and capture via pe4, i haven't tried hv split yet, i haven't had an issue pe4, i filmed in hd and imported both in hddv and dv, so i really have no advice, but have you tried importing via windows moviemaker? or roxio? i have had to import that way on my brothers camera via usb in the past, it was a frustrating experience initally until i just imported via roxio and it was not an issue. i haven't tried importing lately though, my computer crashed in july and i sent it in, i hope no new updates to the vista software would cause an issue, good luck.
moviemaker

Postby tonyman78 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:12 pm

Bob, Moviemaker, Thanks for the input. So far (moviemaker) you are the only person that has confirmed to me that you can actually capture on an HP 64 bit machine. I don't have any Roxio capture SW but I have tried the Muvee SW that comes pre-installed on my HP machine but with the same issue. If you don't mind I have a few questions for you . Did you use firewrire ? If so, do you know where under the "device manager" was the camera showing (i.e. under imaging devices or video, sound, controllers). Also, do you have any additional codecs installed besides what comes with PE4 ? The thing that really gets me on this is that I have tried several HP 64 bit machines at Costco with both HDVsplit and Muvee and they all have the same issue. I am really pulling my hair out on this one .... thanks.

P.S. Bob, to answer your question, the camera was set to HDV for HD capture and for HDV to DV converesion for DV capture. Also, like you, my camera shows up under imaging devices when set to DV mode and under "sound, Video and game controllers" when set to HDV. Do you know if I need additional Codec for HDVsplit to work ? thanks
tonyman78
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:08 pm

HDVSplit shouldn't need anything, it is small, free, easy to use, and did I say free?
Nothing needed but to install the program and it just simply works :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RoccoP » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:30 pm

I have two 64bit Vista PC and a Sony HC3 Camera. I wanted to capture my 1080i recordings on my PC using Firewire (one a HP the other a Dell) Both with Roxio 2009 or HDSplit would see the Video camera but when it started to record the HDSplit would just say No data. The Roxio Program would just say error. Neither would capture the video. Yet when I tried on a Vista 32bit PC both program worked.

I am starting to conclude that is the Capture application is not written for Vista 64 bit then it will not work with the Sony Camcorders. Roxio has done nothing to resolve this issue and of course HDSplit being a free program is not going to fix this.

--Rocco--
RoccoP
New User
New User

Postby tonyman78 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:59 pm

RoccoP that sounds like what I am experiencing EXCEPT when I took my HC3 to Costco and HDVsplit on a flash drive I was able to view it on a the 64bit Dell machine that they had there and I also did the same thing with a friends 64bit Dell PC and again was succesfull in viewing it. I have to admit that I did not try to capture it since they did have the codecs for an M2t file, but usually if you can preview it you can capture it. On your Dell or HP machine can you "preview" the tape while using HDVsplit ?
tonyman78
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:46 am

A shot in the dark here, but have you checked the camera for the iLink connection settings?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby tonyman78 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 am

yes, have verified the settings.
tonyman78
New User
New User

Postby moviemaker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:39 pm

i am capturing right now without an issue, check your settings in pe4, then begin the capture, hit stop capture once the video camera starts displaying your video, then hit start capture again, after that you can see displayed video in pe4 as it is capturing, if you don't hit stop capture it will display that error screen, the offline media ect...,it might not be the clearest pic as you capture, but it should play back fine, i don't even know where it would be in device drives. i literally just plug it in via firewire, hit capture on pe4 and haven't had an issue, i am capturing hd footage in an hd project on pe4 right now. also since it is hd it takes a few min more to conform it on your timeline. i know with the hv30 i don't do anything in camera as far settings b/f capture either, i just have it set to record in hd, that is pretty much the only setting i have on it.good luck
moviemaker

Postby tonyman78 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:39 am

thanks for info, I went ahead and returned the computer. Will have to think about this some more.
tonyman78
New User
New User

Return to Camcorders