They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HV30 Capture and Changing Aspect Ratios

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

HV30 Capture and Changing Aspect Ratios

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:14 pm

I am capturing from the HV30 using WinDV Split. The original footage was filmed in HDV. I am able to download the material, but I noticed on 2 separate occassions that the footage was interpreted as 4x3 instead of wide screen. I used interpret footage to convert it from a 0.9 pixel aspect ratio to 1.2. But now I have a red line indicating that I need to render those clips. Anyone experience anything similar to this? Any way to place the capture on the line without having to render? The clips are long continuous captures of a recent student fashion show. So each clip is quite long. I rather spend my time working on the clip rather than rendering all of the time :) .

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: HV30 Capture and Changing Aspect Ratios

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 am

It sounds like you are working with a standard 4:3 project preset. There wasn't a red line, but after you interpretted the footage as 16:9, a red line appeared. Yep, wrong project preset to start with.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:29 am

I have had Premiere Elements not interpret HDV footage correctly at times too.
Have to right click, interpret footage, change to 16:9, and then everything it fine.
This has happened when capturing with HDV split or directly into Premiere Elements.
This was version 4, I have not tried HDV in version 7 very much at all.
I have never had this happen with Premiere Pro however.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:08 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:It sounds like you are working with a standard 4:3 project preset. There wasn't a red line, but after you interpretted the footage as 16:9, a red line appeared. Yep, wrong project preset to start with.

Robert,
I thought the same thing. But I rechecked and the setting seems correct. It also gets stranger. If I "interpret" the footage in the organizer before putting it on the timeline, it shows fine without the redline. However, once on the timeline, it shows the redline all the time.

I think I will take Chuck's observation as what has probably happened to me. No big problem, but this is the first time using the HD camera, and finally working a bit with PrEl 7. Too many new things all at once.

Thanks to both of you.

-Vernon
Update:
It seems that during the capture, there were a couple of blue frames at the beginning of the capture. I wonder whether WinDV could not determine the settings at the beginning of the capture, so some defaults were used.
Last edited by VernonRobinson on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updating information
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Vernon, I need to get something straight here. Are you using WinDV or HDVSplit to capture? WinDV doesn't capture HDV so that could be a problem if that is what you are using ::C
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:07 am

Before you used Interpret footage, did you notice if there was a green line or no line at all?

I was just wondering if you had rendered a preview and the preview is still around, so when you go back to 4:3, the line turns to green.

I would use GSPot to see what it thinks it is.

Otherwise, I'm stumped and am leaning towards a bug that is giving ambiguous readings.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:59 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Vernon, I need to get something straight here. Are you using WinDV or HDVSplit to capture? WinDV doesn't capture HDV so that could be a problem if that is what you are using ::C

Chuck,
I have used both. The end result of this effort will be a SD DVD that will be given to the team. But wanting to test out the new camera, I captured the same segment in both HD and SD. If the camera is set up for SD, HDV split will not recognize the camera and vice versa. Don't ask me how I know :) . I did notice a bit of capture problem that I think is related to my video card. When using HDV Split, with a preview window, the application woud shutdown/crash without warning. No preview window, no crash. Conversely, when capturing with WinDV, it does show the preview, but it is not widescreen. It seems to show a 4x3 center section of the video. In both cases it seems to have captured ok. So it is an annoyance at this point.

I am using an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS video card with 640MB. The version is 6.14.11.8122 dated 1/14/2009. There may be a slightly more recent driver, so I will check on it later, but I would think this would be recent vintage enough.
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 am

RJ Johnston wrote:Before you used Interpret footage, did you notice if there was a green line or no line at all?

I was just wondering if you had rendered a preview and the preview is still around, so when you go back to 4:3, the line turns to green.

I would use GSPot to see what it thinks it is.

Otherwise, I'm stumped and am leaning towards a bug that is giving ambiguous readings.

Robert,
I will have to come back to this. When I have a few minutes to test.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders