They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Type of Camera For Weddings

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Type of Camera For Weddings

Postby JosephAZupko » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:21 am

What type of Camera do most you use for Weddings?

Thanks, Joe
JosephAZupko
New User
New User

Re: Type of Camera For Weddings

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 am

By "type" do you mean format (e.g., HDV, miniDV, AVCHD), brand (Sony, Canon, etc.) or are you looking for a particular model?

I'd say a lot depends on how much you're getting paid to do it -- and how much you can afford to buy, hardware-wise.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 am

Canon XH A1 for A roll and Canon HV20 for B roll.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JosephAZupko » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 am

Chuck, How come you use a small and large camera? Is there a disadvantage in use two HighDef. small cameras with a tri-pod?
JosephAZupko
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:27 am

The HV20 doesn't have enough manual control, iris, gain, focus, and the image quality isn't quite as good although close under good lighting.
In low light the HV20 would never work, especially for the reception. The HV20 covers a stationary shot from the back to use as a cutaway when the other camera is moving, that's all.
The XH A1 does all the real work, if I could only use one camera it would not be the HV20.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Obviously, Chuck has high standards- a good thing. After using Hi8 in earlier weddings the HV20 produces images that are head and shoulders above Hi8. And tight grain video noise makes darker images very acceptable to most audiences. But then I don't do this for a living either.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Ken :)
It really depends on what you are getting paid. If it is your sister's wedding and you are doing it for free then the HV20 might work fine.
If you are being paid $3000 for a two camera shoot then definitely not, at least not both cameras.

The HV20 in full auto will adjust the focus automatically, in lower light not very well and not very fast.
Moving from one subject to another causes out of focus issues and during the ceremony, with so may people at different focal lengths, it can really be a problem.
Automatic cameras are not the way to go when shooting a wedding or anything you will be getting paid for.
With a wedding you don't usually have a chance at a retake, it has to be done right the first time.
You can restage the cake cutting or a few things but for the most part it is a one shot deal.

Audio is another issue, don't use the onboard camcorder mike if you can help it, the quality will not be good enough.
A well placed camcorder may get reasonable audio but the chances of being able to place it where you need to is almost impossible.
The back camera can use the onboard mike for ambient audio, that works just fine. I usually turn that volume level up just enough to get a slight room feel, louder for a large cathedral but lower for a small room.

There is a lot to take into account if you will be charging someone for the service. I always try to think, "What would I expect for $$$$ ?"

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:35 pm

I agree, Chuck. $3000 for a wedding is nice work if you can get it. I don't know anyone, especially in this economy, that even has $3000 for a wedding video! Perhaps Atlanta is different. I volunteered to shoot the wedding for my pastor's son just two years ago with Hi8. A family member shot the stills and until I stepped up they weren't even going to have video.

I always thought I was a real stickler for good looking video but I have changed my view considerably. I use my HV20 in the Cine Mode and everything I shoot exceeds my expectations! My meager experience with wedding video is that most churches don't allow proper lighting in the sanctuary. Even the still photographers are not allowed to use a flash! The receptions on the other hand have been garish affairs in banquet halls where there is so much lighting that the "zebras" go crazy! Never-the-less, I find with a one camera shoot that I don't have the time, experience nor the inclination to use anything other than the full auto mode on my cam. I find the Canon Instant focus system works marvelously. And, I still find that most folks are simply delighted with the images - and surprisingly the on-board sound. Despite the bargain price I don't think that had so much to do with it.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:15 pm

JosephAZupko wrote:What type of Camera do most you use for Weddings?

Thanks, Joe

Camera is one consideration and there is some good advice here. As Chuck says, the on-board mics are just not good enough for a 'paying job'.. So if you are being paid to do this you also need to look into the sound requirements.

Asking which mics to get will probably generate enough answers to cover all known types of mic. My personal choice is Sony lavalier (Sony model UWP-C1) with dual diversity. Sennheiser have a similar offering (don't know if it is dual diversity) that is slightly cheaper.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bobby » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:29 pm

I did a family wedding recently but I was really shooting just for myself. I always kept the "tell a story" adage in mind when filming and after I was able to put together a really nice video that told the story of the wedding and days around it. I have been shooting video for decades and very familiar with the shooting and editing process. The bride just loved the DVD, and I was proud of the work. I just used my HV-30.

Having said that, it is in fact not even close to professional standards, and any professional would consider it a piece of junk.

So the point is that you have to decide (or tell us) what side of the fence you are on. Do you want to be an adequate amateur or a professional?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders