They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

method to convert Sony m2ts?

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Re: method to convert Sony m2ts?

Postby ChancyRat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:03 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Ok, I found out that the WMV file audio is WMA 9.2 and I guess that isn't supported.

What you are looking for is the H.264 codec, which shows up on the dropdown in your screen shot.
It doesn't matter if the file is MOV, MPEG, or whatever, just so the codec is H.264.

You can find MPEG 4 under the advanced settings for Quicktime if you really want to go that route.
Personally I think you should choose Quicktime and then under advanced settings select the H.264 codec.
That should be all you need.

Aww, thank you so much for trying. At least I'm not totally crazy.
The H.264 option you see in my snapshot produces an m2t file, not an MPEG file or any other format SmugMug can accept. I am not clear how you thought choosing H.264 would allow me to find MPEG4 in the advanced options? It is not available there...

The FLV file was incredibly small (from a WMV file of 139 mb down to 13 mb), and the Quicktime non-MPEG and MPEG4 files were even worse, down to 2 mb.
Is it accurate to say that I lost the HD quality in the FLV and Quicktime files?

I also downloaded MPEG StreamClip from www.squared5.com, and while the instructions say it can convert m2t files to MPEG4, and I was able to open the file, my attempt to convert it produced an error message something like cannot detect frame rate or size (?). There are no instructions to explain that error.

This is discouraging. :-&
Thank you so much for trying... If anyone has further ideas, well, let's just say I'm open to them!
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:49 am

The H.264 1080i option is high definition MPEG4, it exports as .m2t ... PE7's equivalent to the AVCHD .m2ts

PE7 will export all of the formats you list as high definition if you select the correct preset or adjust the preset in Advanced.

So PE7 can export the following to high definition:
FLV
WMV
Quicktime
MPEG2
H.264 (MPEG4)

In my earlier posts I explained how to export the formats to high definition by adjusting the presets in Advanced.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks for all the help Paul :)

I am trying an upload of a WMV 720p with WMA 9.2 audio instead of the default WMA 10 Professional.
I am also uploading a MP4 which was exported using the MPEG Share option at 1080i with the H.264 codec.
The file is created with an m2t extension and I just changed the extension to mp4.

We will see if either of these work with SmugMug, they are being uploaded now.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:15 pm

Yup, changing the audio on the WMV export to WMA 9.2 did the trick the video is uploaded and working with audio :)
So there you go, easy fix when you know what to do.
http://chuckengels.smugmug.com/gallery/8839798_VwWAc
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:20 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Thanks for all the help Paul :)

I am trying an upload of a WMV 720p with WMA 9.2 audio instead of the default WMA 10 Professional.
I am also uploading a MP4 which was exported using the MPEG Share option at 1080i with the H.264 codec.
The file is created with an m2t extension and I just changed the extension to mp4.

Thanks! I will love to know if I can produce a WMV file that will upload.
FYI, I have already tried what you are trying, renaming an m2t to mpeg. The file appeared to upload but after it was done, no thumbnail appeared and no file upload log ever appeared.
I just dialoged with SmugMuggers on dgrin and they thought it must be an error that H.264 doesn't produce an MPEG file. They sent me to Adobe.
I was able to find this thread on Adobe: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2090134 ... 32F5.node0
And the comment back from SmugMug was that it appears there is no solution through PE7, that I should try the recommended conversion program from http://www.koyotesoft.com. I will do that tonight.

I should mention I also tried the program I asked about in my first post here, from http://www.iskysoft.com/video-converter-windows.html, but it could not read the .m2t file (it would read .m2ts, but that is my original file, not the edited version which has jpegs and titles and when converted to H.264, produces an .m2t). It did read the WMV file, but the result added thick black bars on the sides, and seemed to squinch the image in. I tried a 2nd time specifying 16:9 but that did not help. If there are custom settings I should try, I don't know what they are.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Yup, changing the audio on the WMV export to WMA 9.2 did the trick the video is uploaded and working with audio :)
So there you go, easy fix when you know what to do.
http://chuckengels.smugmug.com/gallery/8839798_VwWAc

WOO HOO! :yh:
Now, please, what do I do? (Trying to live up to "easy fix when you know what to do. :-D )
How do I change to WMA 9.2? (Where is the setting?)
Also what other customized settings? I tried a 2nd WMV last night and the result was an extremely small file, it did not match the first WMV file I produced (the version that failed to upload). I combed the thread looking for the settings I must have chosen but could not locate them. I will try again tonight.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Instructions:
    1. Click Share Tab
    2. Click on Personal Computer option
    3. Scroll down the list and select Windows Media
    4. Under Presets select any of the HD presets
    5. Name your file
    6. Choose a directory to save your file to
    7. Click on the Advanced button
    8. Now you will see the 'Export Settings' dialog box.
    9. Click on the Audio tab and change the audio on the drop down to Windows Media Audio 9.2
    10. You can also change the next drop down to a Stereo selection, I selected 16kbs 16khz Stereo.

You will have to save this as a preset after you press the OK button. Just name it something that will remind you what it is, like "WMV for SMugMug" or something like that. Then the next time you only have to pick the preset from the WMV preset drop down list.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Thanks for all the help Paul :)

....I am also uploading a MP4 which was exported using the MPEG Share option at 1080i with the H.264 codec.

Do I see that the MP4 worked as well?
Now I am wondering why my try did not work.
Could you tell me what settings you used to make the H.264 format?
Thanks for the WMV format too. I cannot WAIT to get home tonight!
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Same as for WMV really.

Select Share
Select Personal Computer
Scroll to MPEG option
Select any of the H.264 HD presets

After the file is created you will have to change the extension from m2t to mp4 so you can upload it to SmugMug.
I didnt' change anything in the Advanced settings for this one.

The more movies you make the more you will need the stuff in our products area.
There is lots of free stuff there, Be sure to stop by and check it out.

The subscriptions help pay for the site and let us do lots of this stuff for free.
We have tons of motion backgrounds, music, tutorials, DVD Templates, stop by and take a look.
http://muvipix.com/products.php

And don't forget to check out the rest of the site too, lots of great stuff in the Gallery, chat rooms, articles, ...

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:23 pm

Well 3 cheers to Chuck and Paul! ::CLAP: ::CLAP: ::CLAP: ::CLAP: ::CLAP: ::CLAP:
I was able to upload both formats!!!! :yh:
I have given you 3 cheers on the smugmug dgrin site as well, with full explanations about how to get the right format, because I can't be the only person to have suffered. (Even if I am the most ignorant and newbie person on the site. :oops: )

I will definitely peruse your site, have already found the freebee section. :meet:

Let me ask - is this a forum where I can ask silly simple questions like, what's the keyboard shortcut to move through the timeline in either file increments, or to the end or start (instead of using the mouse)? I blasted my way in here with my emergency question about formats, without really understanding what's appropriate to ask or not...

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!! :TU:

(PS: What happens when my bar reaches 100%? What is determining the percentage climb? :-D )
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Chancy,
Glad it all worked out in the end :yh:

You can ask any question you like, even questions like " How do I get the cup holder to stay out on my computer, it keeps going back in. And while I'm at it, anyone know where in the world I can play a CD on this thing? "

Shortcuts for the Premiere Elements timeline;
This is pretty good
http://www.davis.k12.ut.us/district/etc ... 5F685E.pdf

Maybe Steve knows of other places you can find the shortcuts listed ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:39 pm

ChancyRat wrote:(PS: What happens when my bar reaches 100%? What is determining the percentage climb?

The bar is just something for fun. It's based on the number of posts.
After it gets to 100% you become a MVP* :)

* Muvipix Valuable Person

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Maybe Steve knows of other places you can find the shortcuts listed

Well, it's in the backs of my books. Does that count?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:52 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:" How do I get the cup holder to stay out on my computer, it keeps going back in. And while I'm at it, anyone know where in the world I can play a CD on this thing?"

Yeah, I lost so many cups of coffee because of that problem - glad the experts at Muvipix has the solution :lol:
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 am

Chuck Engels wrote:
ChancyRat wrote:(PS: What happens when my bar reaches 100%? What is determining the percentage climb?

The bar is just something for fun. It's based on the number of posts.
After it gets to 100% you become a MVP* :)

* Muvipix Valuable Person

Actually, 500 posts gets you MVP. After 100% it merely says "Complete" - not real innovative, I know.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats