They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audacity Versus PE3 Audio Effects versus My Voice

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Audacity Versus PE3 Audio Effects versus My Voice

Postby videolady » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:11 pm

I know you guys like the Audacity software to fix audio so I checked it out on the web and it advertises absolutely spyware free. In this day and age, it's so hard to believe that I can get reliable software for free without a catch. So, is this true?

I tried using PE3 Audio Effects for the first time and I found it quite hard. I couldn't understand what most effects could do and when I tried to apply them, I couldn't understand the controls nor did I notice any difference with the music - except maybe the clapping was a little lower in volume. (Don't ask me what effect I finally used for that!) I really don't care to become proficient in sound enhancement. Frankly, I find it to be quite boring and there's a lot to learn!

So my question is, for someone who wants to do simple (but good) editing for hiss removal, interruption removal like coughs or banging, maybe simple level adjustments to enhance vocals and lastly vocal removal, is Audacity easy to use/learn?

Specific for vocal removal: I read Audacity can do this but it may have trouble with some recordings. Understandable. Just this week, a local electronics store advertised My Voice software for $30 including a mike to handle voice removal (among other things) but they cannot promise it will work on all songs either. Has anyone had success with this software? Is it any better than what Audacity can do with voice removal or is it a waste of money?

Karen
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Audacity Versus PE3 Audio Effects versus My Voice

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:49 pm

One of the very nice things about Audacity is that it offers a couple dozen preset filters that are easy to turn on and off.

Even someone with little or no audio mixing experience can pretty easily master the art of sweetening sound in very short order.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Audacity cannot do voice removal and it is limited in some aspects of noise removal/reduction.
Remember it is free, and does come without spyware or any other problems.

Audacity is reasonably easy to use with minimal computer and audio experience.
We have an article at videoinasnap.com by Ken J. that covers some noise removal options.
I have a tutorial on how to use audacity to record audio from your computer and the internet in the products section here at muvipix.

It will convert WAV to MP3 and makes editing audio very simple, I recommend it highly.

If you want to get very involved in audio editing, voice removal, noise reduction/removal, there are pro tools out there that can cost $1000s of dollars.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Andy_E » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:04 am

Another recommendation here.

The most recent beta I have installed 1.3.3 is much better than 1.2.6 at noise reduction. However, I've had stability issues with it (locks up from time to time) so I keep both installed. I've just received an email saying there's a new 1.3.4 beta but I haven't had time to take a look yet.
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby seguesue » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:51 pm

Another free audio editing program you might want to check out is Wavepad, from an Australian software company called NCH Swift Sound. They have a variety of programs and some they offer free in the hopes you will eventually purchase some of their product. Wavepad is a basic audio editing program - they hope that you will eventually want to purchase their more powerful "masters" edition, but you don't have to. If you're interested, go to the address below:
http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

I've used this for about 3 years for basic, quick audio editing - it has no spyware or ads on it. If you do want to download it, there are three options - 1.Download Wavepad 2.Download Masters 3. Purchase Masters. Be sure and pick the top selection. I think in about 30 days you'll get a message asking if you want to purchase the Masters edition. Just say no and keep on using the basic version you've downloaded. This company also has some other free software you might find useful, so check out the site if you're interested.

I have found Wavepad to be much easier to use than Audacity. For serious editing I use Adobe Audition, but wouldn't recommend you plunk down the money for that (or any other expensive software) until you get your feet wet. For folks just getting started, I think Wavepad is much easier. I don't work for the company and don't get a kickback, I've just helped train a number of people new to audio recording/editing and when I show them both Audacity and Wavepad, they always pick Wavepad as the program they prefer to work with.
seguesue
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:18 pm

I used WavePad for a few years, maybe 10 years ago or so. I found Audacity when the WavePad download contained not only the software but 10 times as much junk and spyware. I don't know if it has changed or not but if you download WavePad I suggest using a spyware cleaner immediately afterword.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby seguesue » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:04 pm

hmmm.... Thanks for the tip - I don't want to be recommending software with spyware or adware. Maybe I'll get a chance to check a little closer on this after Christmas. Like I said, I've been using it for the past 3 years and haven't noticed any problems. Of course, I regularly use security software to keep junk out and my drive clean, so maybe that's why I've not noticed a problem. I hope they've quit loading it up with junk - it's a nice, simple program for beginners.
seguesue
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:43 pm

I agree, WavePad has always been a nice and easy audio editor for free. I was very happy with it for years.
They may have changed things in the last 4 years since I downloaded it last. Using a good spyware removal tool is mandatory if you are going to be downloading freeware and shareware tools. It never hurts to be careful and safe. I am not putting down WavePad or your recommendation Sue, just want to make sure everyone is careful in the process :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:47 am

Thanks for the link to Wavepad. I may give it a try. I have AdAware and Spybot (free editions). Do you feel they may be adequate to try and catch any possible 'extras' from the download?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:19 pm

AdAware and Spybot should be fine, I use Spybot and Windows Defender.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:08 pm

AdAware and Spybot are among the best apps out there, free or paid. In addition, I also use SpywareBlaster http://www.download.com/SpywareBlaster/ ... ?tag=lst-1 which stops some spyware before it gets on your system, and Windows Defender http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... g_id=10134.

With 4 spyware/adware programs running, I feel pretty safe. You just have to be sure to update the definitions regularly, every 2-4 weeks, because hackers never sleep.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:00 am

I agree with Jack. The wily hacker never stops work.

.I make sure that all my AD and spyware software is up to date and it is a regular weekend task to carry out a complete scan of my PC ensuring that the sundries like CCleaner etc are also the latest versions.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats