They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Volume control for burned CD

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Volume control for burned CD

Postby Cinde » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:43 pm

I've just burned a CD to listen to on my trip this week. It's about 30 minutes long. Some are songs I purchased online, some from of my original CDs, and some old clips from my PirCH chat days.

The volume on some songs is so low I can hardly hear them, and some sound as if I'm in the front row at a rock concert. A couple are "just right". (Does that sound like a modern day twist on "The Three Bears"?)

Is there a quick and easy way to fix it so the songs on the finished CD will have the same volume?

Edited to add:

I think I might be able to do this using PrE 3. I can drop everything on audio 1 and adjust volume with keyframes. Then play it and capture with Roxio Easy Audio Capture, save the Roxio file and burn to CD. But then I wouldn’t have a track for each song, just one track that is 30 minute long.

I have tried using Roxio Sound Editor but I’m really struggling trying to insert nodes on the volume area. I need to be able to listen to the song consecutively without having to close one song, open the next, etc. Otherwise I won't be able to listen to the volume continuously.

I have downloaded audacity but have never used it, so if that’s an option, please give detailed instructions.

I have until Tuesday afternoon to get it finished.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Volume control for burned CD

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:19 pm

What application are you using to burn the CD? If I were trying to control the volume in Premiere Elements I would use the compressor of the Dynamics filter. I used to use MusicMatch to burn CD's. That had a nice feature for adjusting the volume.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:27 pm

Here is a link regarding the Dynamics audio filter. Adobe Audition has a similar filter.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1059&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=dynamics#p7736
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Cinde » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:35 pm

RJ, thanks for the quick reply.

Now I gotta ask... the WHAT? I haven't graduated to that portion of PrE yet.

Gee... the instantaneousness of this forum. While I was replying to your first reply. I saw the second reply. I'll have a look at the link. thanks
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Don Whitten » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:35 pm

Thanks RJ! I have been striggling a little but getting my head wrapped around that one. Helped me alot. Thanks!
Don

Asus Laptop F3jp T7200, 160 gig 7200 rpm HD, 2 gig ram, ATI X1700 graphics and various other stuff
Don Whitten
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:15 pm

Cinde, What program are you using to burn the CDs? Every program has a different way of controlling the volume over the entire CD.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Cinde » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:51 am

Chuck, I’m using Roxio Sound Editor.

RJ, when I looked at Audio Effects > Dynamics > Custom Setup > I was intimidated by just looking at the interface. However, I was able to do the custom setup per your instructions. But I got lost trying to follow the rest of your instructions about copying the effect and selecting clips… way too much for me to comprehend at this time.

What I finally did was drop all the clips on the timeline and manually adjust the ones that I thought needed higher/lower volume. Then I exported the audio as a single wav (20 minutes) and opened it in Roxio Sound Editor. There I added track separators (which I didn’t know I could do until tonight.)

Then I clicked Burn Audio CD, In project settings I checked Maximize volume for each track. So for the moment it all sounds okay as far as volume but…. Now I have a problem with too much bass from the instruments on a couple of the tracks. It isn’t overpowering on my original but on the burned one the instrumental part is louder than the vocal part. I went back to PrE 3 and it was there also. I wasn’t able to do any correction in PrE that satisfied my ear.

So I’m gonna quit for the night and think of ways to do an “arts and craft” project from the few coasters I burned tonight.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gooder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:54 am

Cinde wrote:Is there a quick and easy way to fix it so the songs on the finished CD will have the same volume?

Hi Cinde

You could also try the Normalize feature. I use this within Premiere pro, it's a right click on your audio file and then select Audio gain and you will then see Normalize. This will bring your audio file up to it's highest point without distorting! Once you have done that on all of your clips you could export the audio file and bring it in to Roxio!

I do not have roxio but maybe there is a feature in that software which works the same way as Normalize?

Hope it helps,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Cinde » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:55 pm

I fixed it.

I started from scratch with only Roxio Sound Editor. I imported the individual clips and simply clicked "Burn Audio CD" then clicked "Maximize Volume of each track". The whole process was so simple and quick.

Since I didn't play the first burned CD on the computer I had nothing to compare it to when I played it on the portable DVD player. I think the portable player was a major part of the first problem.

Tonight when I burned the second CD I listened to it first on the computer and was pleased with the final results. When I put it in the portable DVD player the quality was less, but at least the sound volume is level and the bass is tolerable. I'm not totally satisfied but it's acceptable. The true test will be tomorrow in car's CD player.

Thanks for your help!
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:14 am

Glad you got it worked out Cinde :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats