They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

using music bought from napster or itunes

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

using music bought from napster or itunes

Postby Elizabeth Haines » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:17 am

I thought I bought the "rights" to use pieces of albums when I bought them from itunes or napster. But when I try to import them to photoshop elements to accompany slides, I cannot. They are "protected." And I cannot convert itunes music to windows format.

So I am resorting to the tried and true - by a cd.

Is there another way (or a place) where I can buy digital music with the rights to reuse it? I want to use music from known CDs that would be copyrighted.
Elizabeth Haines
New User
New User

Postby Jayell » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:08 pm

Without commenting on the legality issues, you can burn the music to a CD, and rip it back to your computer, where you can then convert it to whatever format you wish.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:18 pm

Also, note that the "rights" you bought were the rights to PLAY the music, not USE the music -- so there's some gray area about whether or not you can legally use purchased music in a video, unless you've negotiated a price directly with the rights owner. (On the other hand, if it's for a personal video, probably not a big deal; if you're planning on selling the video, it is.)

Finally, note that iTunes music and Napster behave a little differently. iTunes music is yours to play forever. Napster and other subscription services, however, often only allow you to play the music as long as you maintain your subscription. Once you cancel it, your music becomes unplayable! So be sure to read the fine print.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

how to convert from iTunes AAC format to mp3 format

Postby Elizabeth Haines » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:02 pm

One book that I have says that to convert your itunes to mp3 (so that premiere elements will recognize the format), you right-click any song name you choose (presumably from your itunes selection) , and select from the pop-up menu "convert selection to mp3."

I don't see this option.....

And I also can't burn my itunes (bought from the itunes store) to a CD.....

I think I will just go to a half price bookstore and hope I can find the CDs I want...
Elizabeth Haines
New User
New User

Re: how to convert from iTunes AAC format to mp3 format

Postby Jayell » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:08 pm

Elizabeth Haines wrote:.And I also can't burn my itunes (bought from the itunes store) to a CD...

What do you mean you can't burn your iTunes to CD? What exactly happens? I've bought and used many iTune store-bought tunes in my PremElements projects.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats