They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD Labels with Nero 8

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

DVD Labels with Nero 8

Postby videolady » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:21 pm

I can't believe I am finding it so difficult to create simple DVD labels with Nero 8. I don't understand the Artist Text Tool but I use the Text Box Tool to add words. This seems to work but I would like a wider range of colour to choose from for the words, like you get from the Pen and Brush tabs.

Is there a simple, easy and cheap DVD label creator that gives me easy font type colour and placement options? I have PE5/PremierElements 3

Thanks,

Karen
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: DVD Labels with Nero 8

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Photoshop Elements 5 will create DVD Labels and has a template I believe.
One thing though, the stick on labels are not good for DVDs at all.
They can be the cause of your DVD not playing or not playing well.
Not that they are always bad, but many of us have learned the hard way.

As a matter of fact I put a template in the Gallery http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... D_Face.zip
There is also Neato, Memorex, and Avery, all three have free label creation software you can download.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:...the stick on labels are not good for DVDs at all...Not that they are always bad, ...

Yes, they are always bad! EVERY - as in EVERY - disk I've ever labeled with a stick-on has failed over time. Remove the labels and they work again!
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:13 am

I use a combo of Photoshop, Illustrator and the Epson labeling software (I print on an Epson R-1900) to do these for inkjet printing onto a printable DVD surface. I would *guess* that all CD/DVD printers come with software. In the US, it was once only Epsons that could print to the disc surface. In the UK/Europe, Canons also could. I believe that this has changed now, and there are more printers with this capability. For some time, I used a little Epson R-300, that only cost about US$49 on sale. Other than a slightly flaky disc transport carriage, it did a wonderful job.

As others have said do not use paper labels on any DVD. They will cause nothing but problems. If not now, in a short time.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:50 pm

I use photoshop elements to create my labels. The template themes are nice.

the stick on labels are not good for DVDs at all.

I agree with that 100%. I used to use stick on labels and the DVDs would always have issues. Do yourself a favor, never never use stick on labels. Please relty on all of our experiences.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RichardB » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:02 pm

If you don't have a printer that can print "printable" DVD discs (like me), I have printed just the small, center stick-on labels and after four years, the discs are still working fine. I have been using the Memorex system. The labels are only about 1- 5/8 inches in diameter and do allow you to print a very brief identifier. The software for printing the little labels leaves a lot to be desired (all of my labels are blue with yellow print - it isn't worth the hassle to make the changes.) It is also incrediably wasteful of the big sheets on which the "centers" are stamped. I wish they printed sheets of only the center-type labels.

Just another possible option and, fingers crossed, no problem playing the DVD's yet.
Richard

Ironside Antec 300 w/Corsair TX650 PS, i7-2600K w/CM Hyper 212, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3, 16GB Patriot DDR3 1600, EVGA 1GB Nvidia GTX 550 TI, WD Black 1TB (internal) HD, Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit, PSE 10, PRE 10
RichardB

Return to DVD Authoring