They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Recompression

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Re: Recompression

Postby Bobby » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Yup Robert - you're right as usual! I actually went to the step of writing an RW and taking it out to the TV and everything looks fine.

I assume that this indicates that the CODEC is symmetrical. It is re-mapping 0-255 to 16-235 when encoding, but on decoding it maps it back to 0-255. Sounds reasonable. If so there may be some slight compression loss, but nothing major.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:05 pm

I've been following this thread with interest. I'm glad this ended up being a non-issue. However, there was one small item which Bobby brought up that never got answered. He was talking about the quality slider in the DVD Widescreen preset out of PrEl. Does anyone know what would have been gained/lost by his setting this to 5 instead of the default of 3 that he used?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi Dave.

I tried the slider at '5' and the resultant filesize was the same. But it took a LOT longer to process - so this must be some kind of multi-pass option. I haven't had time to see if I notice any quality difference.

I hope somebody knows the answer.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:42 pm

The Mainconcept reference manual probably gives a clue as to what the slider does as well as everything else you can adjust.

I believe the slider you mention gives a higher quality image at the expense of longer rendering times.

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosume ... 20375.html
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:18 am

Depending on the playback device, and how critical of an eye you have, the extra time might be worth it. For the average person I would guess that it probably wouldn't make a difference. Mostly I was concerned that it might be creating a larger file size through some kind of interpolation process. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Bobby is correct regarding the multi-pass theory.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:53 am

Dave McElderry wrote:Depending on the playback device, and how critical of an eye you have, the extra time might be worth it. For the average person I would guess that it probably wouldn't make a difference. Mostly I was concerned that it might be creating a larger file size through some kind of interpolation process. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Bobby is correct regarding the multi-pass theory.

The Quality slider does not control multi-pass. There is already a distinctive control for that under the bitrate section: CBR, VBR 1-pass, VBR 2-pass.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:50 am

Robert is correct - you can select the number of passes in the bitrate section.

I downloaded and read (briefly!) the referenced manual but it seems to be a reference for a reference application and does not specifically address the Quality slider in the interface to the CODEC that Adobe uses. So if anyone knows what it actually does, please speak up! But very interesting reading - thank you Robert for the pointer.

I did look at a number of the MPEG presets, not just the DVD Widescreen one I was using. The Quality slider exists only in the MPEG CODEC, not the H.264. And it does change, depending on the preset that you select. So I am inclined to leave it as-is, assuming that whoever set it up has selected the correct values for what I am trying to do (i.e. Widescreen DVD).
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:54 pm

Adobe is using the Mainconcept MPEG-2 codec in Premiere Elements.

Edit: When you hover your mouse over the word "Quality" to the left of the slider, there is information about what it does down in the status area at the bottom of the advanced dialog.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to DVD Authoring