They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Enore CS3 did not play in stand alone player

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Enore CS3 did not play in stand alone player

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:50 pm

This is the first time that one of my discs won't play in my Toshiba HD-A3 player.
The DVD player said it was not a DVD.

But yet everything went like clock work when I burned it.
Only 18 minutes long and on Taiyo Yuden disc.

So I went and burned the same project with Encore CS3 to a folder and used Nero to burn to a disc and everything worked on stand alone just fine.

Go figure. ](*,) ](*,)
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Enore CS3 did not play in stand alone player

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Now, I only have CS2 (Encore2), so I can't be version specific. However, there are a few things to check into:

1.) Does Encore CS3 still Burn to good DVDs, but just not this Project?
2.) Have you tried to burn this Project from Encore again - results?
3.) What speed did you Burn from Encore at? What speed is you TY disc, and what speed is your burner?
4.) I assume that your set-top has played other Encore DVD's in the past. Is this correct?
5.) Was there anything, at all, that you noticed odd about this session?
6.) Did you Transcode in PP, or did you use Encore's "Automatic" Transcode setting?
7.) How long and how large (time and file size) was this Project?
8.) During the Encore burn, did you use the computer for anything else - e-mail, Web browsing, wordprocessing, anything?

Now, I've got to say that you are using excellent media, so that should not be a problem. Still, even the best can have a bad disc in there someplace. That is why I asked about trying that Project again from Encore.

Encore, unlike some other burning apps. demands 100% control of a burner. If it cannot get this, because of mechanical failure, or some other software interfering with the operation, it usually errors, and ejects the disc. This did not happen, but could still be answered by #1 and its followup: did you install any new software, since it burned well?

One comment that has been floating around the Encore forums is that CS3 does the burn a bit differently than did Encore 2. It does not write padding on short Projects to fill up to the 1GB spot, and it does not "finialize" the disc, in the way that previous versions, and also many other authoring apps do. That is why I asked about other Encore CS3 DVD's and this player.

The speed of a burn can be critical. I usually go with the slowest that Encore will allow, and this is based on the media and the burner. Spend a few minutes now, rather than later, trying to troubleshoot.

If you Transcoded to MPEG-2 in PP and Exported either to a file (Imported into Encore), or directly to Encore, what were your settings? By definition, all DVD (certified) players must handle bit-rates to 10Mb/s, which is the combined bit-rate for both Audio and Video, and is ONLY for pressed/replicated DVD's. None is required to play ANY burned DVD, though most do - to some extent. If you were using PCM/WAV Audio, it might be that your bit-rate looked safe, based on your Video, but in combo with the Audio, you went over the player's ability, especially with a burned DVD. For Video, it is often recommended to not exceed 7Mb/s for a sure burn. Yes, I know that 8Mb/s is so often recommended for quality, but would one rather have a disc that will not play, but has the highest quality, or one that you cannot visually tell the difference in, that will play?

These are some things to think about, though the answer could be something else.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby hpharley90 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:17 pm

Bill I just noticed your post and I want to answer the questions but can't do right now.
Late for me.
Will get back to by this weekend.
Thanks
Rich
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:26 pm

Rich,

Take your time. I'll be home, until Thursday AM, then back Monday Noon. I'll look in, from time to time, and see where this thread goes.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:14 pm

Bill I'll answer your questions and then a brief explanation.

Bill Hunt wrote:1.) Does Encore CS3 still Burn to good DVDs, but just not this Project?

Yes and no.
Bill Hunt wrote:) Have you tried to burn this Project from Encore again - results

Same.
Bill Hunt wrote:3.) What speed did you Burn from Encore at? What speed is you TY disc, and what speed is your burner

Encore burn at 4x and TY 8X. Don't remember burner speed. I think 16x.
Bill Hunt wrote:.) I assume that your set-top has played other Encore DVD's in the past. Is this correct?

With trouble. Multiple tries before it recognizes DVD.
Bill Hunt wrote:Was there anything, at all, that you noticed odd about this session?

No.
Bill Hunt wrote:6.) Did you Trans code in PP, or did you use Encore's "Automatic" Transcode setting?

I trans code in Encore. If I do it in PP, Encore will not let me put chapter markers exactly where I want them.I bring DV-AVI into Encore.
Bill Hunt wrote:7.) How long and how large (time and file size) was this Project?
18 minutes.
Bill Hunt wrote:8.) During the Encore burn, did you use the computer for anything else - e-mail, Web browsing, wordprocessing, anything?

Never.

I have 2 stand alone DVD players. Both Toshiba. One is the HD-A3 and the other is SD-3990.
The HD player is the one that won't play Encore DVDS but will play them burned with Nero at all the same settings as Encore. :-k
Encore will play in all the SD players that I need them to play in.
I'm the only family member to have a HD player.
But for me to watch in my up converting Toshiba HD player I need to burn in Nero.
So that is my work flow now.
I burn to a folder with Encore and then burn to a disc with Nero.
It works good. No problems. And it works with all players. \:D/

Rich
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:12 pm

Rich,

You might want to take a look at a lot of the threads on Encore CS3 and how it handles DVDs on the Adobe Encore Forum:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx ... rIiwWmUrG@

There has been discussion on CS3 not "closing discs," and some players having a problem with this. Seems that there is much discussion on the necessity of doing so, and no real answers. As I read, it seemed that the workaround was to burn to folder in Encore, then use Gear, Nero, etc. to burn to disc. These programs seem to all close the disc.

It also seems that this was a change from Encore2 to CS3. Sorry I do not have the threads handy, but as I do not have CS3, they were only of passing interest to me.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring