They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Stabilized Low Angle Shots

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Re: Stabilized Low Angle Shots

Postby mark hansen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:45 pm

The Black rapid strap allows you to put pressure between the you and the camera to help steady. I was able to take steady telephoto shots.

The $15 steady cam (three pipes in the shape of a "T" with a counter weight oppsite the camera) also does very well for low angle shots. If you put an old tripod head on the end with the camera, you can get great low angle shots without having to flip over the footage. the tripod head allows you to put point the camera level (away from the counter weight) and the thrid pipe allows you to get your camera low on the ground.

Good trick with the mono pod.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:06 pm

mark hansen wrote:The $15 steady cam (three pipes in the shape of a "T" with a counter weight oppsite the camera) also does very well for low angle shots. If you put an old tripod head on the end with the camera, you can get great low angle shots without having to flip over the footage. the tripod head allows you to put point the camera level (away from the counter weight) and the thrid pipe allows you to get your camera low on the ground.

Mark, did you make one? Can you post a photo or a link on what this looks like? Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:23 pm

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks Sidd. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby mark hansen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:23 pm

That's the one Sidd. I posted some pictures I had takes a while ago on the various positions I use. The low angle is there with the camera upside down. I later, I learned to hold the steady cam by "T" bar (the piece I'm holding im my right hand) and the long bar parallel to the ground. The tripod head allows me to pivot the camera to the correct angle for the shot. You can't to that if you don't use a tripod head. If you use what's in the directions, you can hold like I did i nthe photo.

Low angle

Medium angle - the "T" bar hooks in my belt and I pivot at the waist

High angle - the "T" bar on my shoulder

Very high angle - the "T" bar higher on my shoulder and weight in my stomach

Using a rail to steady the camera for a zoom shot.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Now, having said that, my Sony doesn't seem to need it, it has built in stablizers. If you notice in the video where my daughter is getting splashed, the water spots on the water proof case move around, I presume that's the stablization kicking in. But I can't get low angle shots like that.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks Mark, great photos & how to. :TU:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:51 pm

I really like this model and used one a lot….until I noticed a lot of unwanted attention I got because of the piping used. It our post 911 world I did not look to be exclusively like a videographer anymore. I have not switched to a monopod and I just hold the camera upside down and rotate it in post…

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 am

How much does this weigh? Probably too heavy for me.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby mark hansen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:59 pm

About 4-6 pounds. The weight is is 2.5 pounds and the Camcorder a little less. The pipes are not much.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to Tips and Tricks