They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

cool puzzle effect

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

cool puzzle effect

Postby gail spiro » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 am

I've been using this cool puzzle effect that I created in some of my slideshows recently, and thought someone may like it and want to learn how to create it.

http://www.movingmemoriesphotography.ne ... ampler.htm

First, I used the Panos puzzle effect in PE to divide my image into puzzle pieces- I've used this effect in both 6 and 20 piece puzzles, but I suggest using a smaller puzzle the first time, because it's very time consuming.
Next, I saved changed the visibility of the layers, selecting each puzzle piece one at a time, and saving it as a separate file, along with saving the whole thing (all layers) as a file, as well. So for a 6 piece puzzle, I will have 7 separate saved files.
Then, after opening a new file in Premier, I load all 6 separate puzzle pieces on top of each other on 6 tracks, making sure not to change the size and location of each piece. At this point, the 6 stacking tracks should line up in your monitor to look like the whole puzzle.

Now is the tricky part- I WORK BACKWORDS in the timeline. I decide on a finishing point when I want all the pieces to line up, and I select the motion keyframe button in all 6 tracks. (It helps to put a marker on the timeline at this point.
Next, go backwords in the timeline, and put a marker where you want the clip to start. The effect looks best if it goes fairly quickly, but you can play with that yourself to see what you like.

At this marker, select each clip individually, and move it around anywhere you like with the motion keyframe, being sure to put all 6 pieces in different parts of the frame.

Then, you can make it even more interesting by adding the 3D effect to each of the 6 clips. Again, working backwords, set all of the 3D settings to 0 at the endpoint, and hit the keyframe button. Then move to the beginning of the clip, and play with turning the pieces in all kinds of directions with the tilt and swivel toggles. The more you move the clips, the more interesting the effect will be in the end.

When you are satisfied with your results, I recommend saving the whole thing as an AVI and bringing the AVI into your slideshow. That way you aren't stressing Premier with too much confusing data, risking a crash in the middle of a bigger slideshow, and you don't have to worry about the 6 layers getting moved around accidentally. By the way, the 7th file (the one with all 6 puzzle pieces visable) is just for your sake so you have the complete puzzle to look at for reference. When I use this, I usually follow it with the same image without the puzzle effect at the same size and placement, with a dissolve transition between them - it makes it look like the puzzle is melting away into a single image.

Hope you like this effect, and that my instructions aren't too confusing. I did this for a private school grad slideshow with 20 pieces- one for each of their graduating students, and they loved it. I'll try to find time to post that example later.Let me know if you have any questions!
Gail Spiro
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: cool puzzle effect

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:35 am

Very nice Gail, thanks for all the work you put into this.
I'm sure that it will be used by many :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:05 am

Great example and how to write up! Thanks for sharing. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Ooooohh, I like that! I went over to Panosfx and watched the video on how the creation of the puzzle is done step-by-step. Very cool!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 am

I really liked that puzzle effect, and also went over to PanosFX to check out the website. There seems like lots of good stuff there, but being an old retired guy on (mostly) fixed income I watch my purchases.

Can anybody give me a summery of the packages available and what is worthwhile getting? I have started to go through their website, but lots of stuff and it's a bit complicated. I guess what I am looking for is a recommendation. FWIW, I have PS CS4 and not PE. Thanks!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby gail spiro » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:53 am

Bobby- if you go to Panos and pull down the downloads bar at the top, you'll see an option for "other actions", you'll come up with a whole list of free stuff that you can download for PE or photoshop! It's a bit of a pain to load into photoshop, but they provide good instructions, and its def. worthwhile! Many of the actions, like the puzzle effect, "take over" your computer for a minute while they create all their layers- others are simpler. Many of them also give you creative ways to make the effect unique.
A fun freebie, and one that's really easy to play with, is the snow globe- I'd start with that. The "Out of bounds" effect is also cool, but more difficult to use, as it involves more steps and some selecting on your part.
I'd start with the freebies, so you can get an idea of what the Panos effects feel like. Then you could buy some of the ones for sale as you feel ready for them. I bought the puzzles and the filmstrips, both of which I use alot and really like.
Hope this helps!
Gail
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby gail spiro » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:56 am

Oh- one other thought Bobby - the Reflections effect is simple and really cool.
Gail
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks Gail - I downloaded Puzzle and playing with it now :)
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:02 am

Cool!

Some additional hints:

1) Don't forget to deselect the bottom Canvas layer so that the background is transparent when you save the individual files.

2) When loading into PRE, turn on Scale To Frame Size or you might not see the pieces correctly, depending on the resolution and size of the original photo.

Thanks again, Gail!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby gail spiro » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:10 am

My pleasure! It's nice to be the one helping someone else- since I come crying to these forums for help so often!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks