They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

MP4

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

MP4

Postby Peter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:26 pm

I am in the process of converting mp4's shot from a friend's Sanyo. I typically use VDub thanks to the board's advice but VDub doesnt seem to convert mp4's. I downloaded a freeware app called Pazera 1.2 that seems to only convert the entire clip (audio AND video) if I use a WMV codec supplied with the app. The other codecs convert only the audio. 1) Does anyone have any experience with Pazera or a similar app for MP4 conversion? and 2) although the conversion is successful with the WMV codec, the avi is not as clean and sharp as the original MP4 - is that to be expected? 3) any other alternatives?
Peter

Re: MP4

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:29 pm

This all depends on which kind of MP4 the file is, SR.

Is this from an AVCHD camcorder or from a Flip-style bargain hi-def camcorder? Or from another source?

And what are you ultimately trying to do with it? Post it to the internet? Make it into a DVD? A BluRay disc? That will help determine your best plan of action.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:29 pm

I believe it is the non-HD AVCHD camera. I will be burning to DVD only - no Blu-Ray, no Youtube.

I just used the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec in Pazera and set resolution to 800x600 instead of "auto." It now plays very clean in Media Player but PE only recognizes it as an audio file. Are there any codecs in my registry that would give me this problem in PE? I know the Panasonic codec creates issues with certain avi's but I have that disabled.

Peter
Peter

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:14 am

Again, SR, I'm not going to be able to help you without knowing more about those video files.

Can you please tell us what camcorder they came from?

Also, I'd recommend leaving Pazera out of this equation.

Most likely you'll get your best conversion results using a program like Quicktime Pro.

But I'll be better able to offer advice once I know where the video is orginating and how much editing you plan to do.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:00 am

QuickTime Pro is only $30 and it will convert MP4s, I highly recommend it. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/
Not sure about Super, that is free and might work also http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html (says it does convert MP4).
But you need to convert to DV-AVI (or Microsoft DV) to work with Premiere Elements without a hitch ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Steve, I am sorry I dont have the camcorder info yet, the shooter has not returned my calls or emails. I did go ahead and download QT7 Pro. 2 questions:

1) exporting to avi using the cinepak converter in both medium and best quality created a very pixelated and lousy conversion in PE. What do you guys suggest for converter choices and settings?

2) once i downloaded QT7, I am no longer able to open my project that has the previously converted mp4-avi that I did with the WMV codec (its on the timeline.) The project takes forever to load and then once loaded it immediately gives me the "serious error" popup and all I can do is close. I have tried staring PE2 with CTRL+ALT+SHIFT but to no avail. Unfortunately my backup of the project has the same issue as well as the recovered project so I am jammed all three ways. Any thoughts on how to recover the project? Could there be a conflict with QT?

Thanks, Peter
Peter

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Don't use the Cinepak output in Quicktime Pro. Use DV codec for the AVI and you'll get great results! (Depending, of course, on how good the original footage is from the camcorder.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Steve, as always, the advice I get from you and the other members is super. The exported avi looks fantastic. Once again, 2 questions for anybody:

1) The new avi plays the video on the timeline when I manually drag the the CTI across it but the video playback remains still and only audio plays when I play the clip normally. I did export the clip to a new avi and it worked fine. What is the issue?

2) I finally was able to get into my project - no more serious errors. However, it takes forever to load and when the loading window is present with the blue bar, it will flash light and dark and simultaneously the divx settings manager flashes in the system tray. Any idea why? Thanks.
Peter

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 pm

The DivX in the tray is because the AVI files are compressed with the DivX CODEC - not a good thing, if one wishes to edit the material, and then recompress it to MPEG-2 for DVD.

Converting to DV-AVI Type II with the Microsoft DV (Type II) CODEC is what you want. For your sanity and for editability, leave DivX out of the equation. It is a delivery-only CODEC and will most often result in the loss of either the Video, or the Audio, or even both. The same for the open-source Xvid CODEC.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 pm

any thoughts on why the converted MP4-to-avi's in QT pro does not show video when I play the clip in PE2 on the timeline? It plays perfectly in Media Player and QT but only shows the frames if I manually scrub the CTI across the clip. Audio is working fine

If I drag the clip directly into the monitor window and play, the clip feezes on the first frame until I pause,then it freezes onto the current frame of the CTI

My QT Pro settings are export to DV/DVCPRO NTSC, compression quality = best, 30 fps, interlaced. I have experimented with 29.97 fps as well as progressive scan mode but I get the same results. ](*,) As always, thanks in advance - Peter.
Peter

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:09 pm

Premiere Elements 2 :-k
That could be a problem, PE2 was never really great at playing with various codecs.
Might be time for an upgrade. Can you upload a small sample so I can check it out in versions 3, 4, and 7?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 am

well, that did it. Time to join the present day. I have been vacillating on upgrading to PE7. I just ordered PE7 and Steve's book. Thanks for your offer to view the clip. If I still have an issue in PE7, I will upload it then.
Peter

Postby ed » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:11 am

I usually export as AVI, and not DV from Quicktime Pro. I believe the DV is an Apple AVI wrapper, which I couldn't get PE to recognize. Did you expoert as DV?
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am

I am outputting to AVI, not DV but I am using the DV codec as suggested by Steve instead of the cinepak codec
Peter

Postby ed » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:26 am

I'll look at the codec I use when I get home frm work.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks