They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Recovery from Nero BackItUp

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Recovery from Nero BackItUp

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:25 am

Beware Nero BackItUp!

I recently upgraded from Nero 6 OEM to the the full retail version of Nero 8. I had been using BackItUp from Nero 6 - no idea what version of BackItUp - to preserve half-hour DV-AVI video files I edit for community access TV. I always used NO COMPRESSION and BackItUp spanned the archive across two DVDs. And, BackItUp was always able to recover the file, although it usually took almost two hours to recover a 28 minute video.

So, I uninstalled Nero 6, installed Nero 8 and tried to recover two different TV shows. Nero asked for the second disk as usual, then asked for the first disk, again as usual before trundling on through the first disk. Instead of asking for the second disk when BackItUp reached the end of disk one, it claimed the restore was complete and stopped. Astonishing! The OEM version 6 which I paid 9 bucks for worked fine for me but the full price new package (which I updated online) did not. After my experience and reading the tales of woe on the Nero sub-forum of CD-Freaks I will not be trusting BackItUp any more.

I was able to recover my files and here is what I did:
I created a temp directory in My Documents, drilled down in the folder structure of each DVD until I found the files named filename.nc_ and copied them all to the temp directory. The file naming was like this:

FILENAME~1.nc_
2FILENAME~1.nc_
3FILENAME~1.nc_
4FILENAME~1.nc_

Since I knew the file was an AVI I renamed them as:

1.avi
2.avi
3.avi
4.avi

I then opened a Command Prompt window and navigated to my temp folder. Making sure I had enough disk space, I used the Copy command with the binary option to concatenate all the pieces into the original file:

Copy /b 1.avi+2.avi+3.avi+4.avi MyNewFilename.avi /b

If you used compression with your files, try using a utility like 7-Zip to uncompress each file segment first. Hope this helps someone. :)
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks