They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cloning Successfully with Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Cloning Successfully with Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:16 am

Chuck started a thread on the topic of cloning, and he found a free software that worked for him. As the software that I have just used successfully is different, I decided to start a new thread.

The software is called Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite and can be downloaded, as a trial, at http://www.paragon-software.com/

I chose to purchase the software rather download the trial for the following reasons:

1. "No Recovery CD included in the [trial] installation package" (this, in my view, makes the trial worthless)
2. Peru stated in Chuck's thread that the (different) version that he has used has worked well for him and
3. Until Dec. 25, for an extra $10 (total of $59.95), one can download 3 copies of the software for home use (for $10 more, one can also receive in the mail a disc containing the program).

Note that the boxed version can also be bought on Amazon for $49.95, however, I don't see any offer to download 3 copies there. Also with regard to Amazon, please note that all 3 reviews of the software are highly negative. Mine, on the other hand, is postive.

My immediate goal was to clone my C drive to a second internal drive, and I was able to accomplish that in about 3.5 hours, including the time taken to build the WinPE3.0 Recovery CD. The software needed to accomplish this build comes with the paid download, and in my view it is essential to have this media on hand before beginning the process of cloning, and here is why: If ever one's C drive crashes, then one will need to boot from the recovery media, the reason being that the installed progam will be unavailable.

I disagree with the reviewer on Amazon who stated that the documentation is inadequate. If you go to the site, you can download it as a pdf file and see for yourself that it is [url]very[/url] detailed (239 pages).

Here is the simple procedure that I followed to create the clone:

1. create the WinPE3.0 recovery media on CD (p.20)
2. boot with the recovery media and then go to p.73 for the details regarding how to accomplish the clone
3. choose the source HDD (your current C drive)
4. choose the target disk (your second internal drive--note that the software will delete everything on the target drive)
5. when the copy finishes, remove the recovery media before shutting down*
6. shut down
7. remove the power and data cables from the source drive
8, boot the machine with the target drive (the driver for this drive was automatically installed during the boot process)
9. test your new C drive--mine, so far, appears to an actual, yes, clone of the original source drive

:yh:
_____
*If you shut down and reboot with the WinPE3.0 media still in the drive, you may, like me, not find any option to proceed to open Windows on your MBR 0 drive. You do have the option, from within the installed program, to build a LINUX-based DVD that does offer the option to go to Windows on your C drive, however, my understanding is that, for the specific process of cloning, the WinPE3.0 media is a better choice. I've now created both of the media.

Question for the tecchies: once I've created a "backup capsule" of my current C drive, is there any reason that I cannot use it to restore to the other internal drive in the event my current C drive crashes, assuming that my work can wait for the 3 hours that it takes to accomplish a restore?

In other words, won't I have two choice in the event of a crash, namely:
1. If I need to get back to work immediatly, simply power up the second internal drive or
2. if it's more imporant that the second drive be up to before I begin to work again, then I should first restore from the externao eSATA drive that will contain my backups?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Cloning Successfully with Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:54 am

George Tyndall wrote:am).

Question for the tecchies: once I've created a "backup capsule" of my current C drive, is there any reason that I cannot use it to restore to the other internal drive in the event my current C drive crashes, assuming that my work can wait for the 3 hours that it takes to accomplish a restore?
That should work.

In other words, won't I have two choice in the event of a crash, namely:
1. If I need to get back to work immediatly, simply power up the second internal drive or
2. if it's more imporant that the second drive be up to before I begin to work again, then I should first restore from the external eSATA drive that will contain my backups?
Do you mean "up to date"? If so, yes.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Peru wrote:Do you mean "up to date"? If so, yes.[/color]

Yes, that's what I meant (I was rather drowsy when I wrote the post).

It appears the time has come for me to say "goodbye Acronis, hello Paragon," however, it must be added that one of the three negative reviewers of this software on Amazon does state that he is sticking with Acronis.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 pm

George Tyndall wrote:It appears the time has come for me to say "goodbye Acronis, hello Paragon,"...

I spoke too soon.

I've tried twice to create a backup image with the Paragon software, and both attempts have failed. I was informed that the backup would need about 297GB of space, so I created a "backup capsule" of 348GB, but after 7 hours had passed while I was sleeping, I got a message that the capsule was full despite the fact that the backup was only 47% completed and would need another 7+ hours to complete. (I had used the "Smart Backup wizard" to start the process.)

My tentative conclusion is that the software is very good for the purpose of cloning and for performing various detailed analyses of all of one's attached HDDs, using the included WinPE3.0 disc, but exceedingly slow at creating a mirror image. Acronis TIH2011 was much faster (69 minutes), so now that I have a clone of my C drive to fall back on, I'm planning try one more time to perfom a backup and restore of that drive with Acronis. I need to have the peace of mind that results from knowing that I have both a clone on an internal drive and restorable backups (images) on an external HDD. The mere thought of needing to perform a clean install of my OS and programs, including all their settings, terrifies me.

Chuck, thanks much for starting that thread on cloning, as I had previously been unaware of the concept of having a clone on a second drive that one could use to instantly get back to work in the event of a crash of one's C drive.

:tx:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:00 pm

George Tyndall wrote:If ever one's C drive crashes, then one will need to boot from the recovery media, the reason being that the installed progam will be unavailable.

Correction: The boot media would be needed only if one is attempting to restore one's C drive from an image; once you've created the clone on an internal drive, you would not need WinPE3.0 to boot from it. Instead, all you would need to do is unplug the power and data cables from the crashed internal drive and plug in those for the clone.

WinPE3.0 is helpful when creating the clone, but once the clone has been created, it's not needed to quickly be back up and running.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks