They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Give Away Of The Day - up size photos

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Give Away Of The Day - up size photos

Postby Cinde » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:38 am

Sometimes GAOTD gives away some really cool stuff. The thing is that you have to download and install it the same day. Each software is only available for the day it is showcased on GAOTD. (If you download and like it and have more than one computer to use it on... make sure you install it on all computers withing the time limit.)

Today they are giving away a program called Reshade. The name is a bit confusing because what the software actually does is Upsize photos. I guess the name Reshade is for the actions it does on the photos. Reviews from people who have downloaded are quite good. http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/reshade/
(Good preview/demo video here: http://reshade.com/product/stand-alone#video )

I'm happy with the first pix I upsized from 175x300 to 700x1200 (4 times larger). Samples below. Right side is upsized, left side is original. Oh, and it did not crop, it's just that the preview screen can only show so much. But you can slide the the box around on the original screen (right side) to see details of different sections on the upsized photo (right side).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Give Away Of The Day - up size photos

Postby kodebuster » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Just downloaded and tried Reshade.

Very Kool, it seems to upsize pretty good while keeping the clarity okay, and minimizing the graininess that usually occurs.

I bookmarked the site for future visits...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:31 pm

Nice find, Cinde!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:26 pm

I agree that the enlarging looked pretty good.

Has anyone saved the Reshade enlarged image as a TIFF?

When doing the Save As within the Reshade program of the sample photo of the bird, I received an error message like - no object handler for type 11.

I was able to save the enlarged image as a jpeg. However, I figured that it would have been better to save as a TIFF to avoid the jpeg compression.

Barb Oa

FYI - I did post the same question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements forum because it also has a thread about this giveawayoftheday
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:58 pm

Every once in a while a piece of software actually insults my intelligence. And this is one of them.

It's okay for a free piece of software, but you can do better in Photoshop. And if you spend $89 for that junk, you are a complete boob.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Cinde » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:50 am

RJ, if you don’t mind, may I ask what it is about Reshade that insults your intelligence?

The example I showed above is something that I did in less than a minute after having installed it. I find it quite easy to use, and it does what I want it to do without a stiff learning curve.

As far as doing it better in Photoshop… Perhaps not everyone has Photoshop.
I joined this forum before I had the PS5/PR3 Elements bundled package.

I’ve had Photoshop Elements 5 for almost a year and I’m still struggling to learn because of a brain injury that limits my ability to retain new information. I get tips and tutorials here quite often which is one of the major reasons that I have learned to do more than a one click fix.

Can you point me to a tutorial that I can work through to produce the same effects better in Photoshop? Or perhaps you would do a tutorial and upload it here?
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby kodebuster » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Okay, I'm in agreement that paying $89 for this software is quite a stretch, unless there are additional features or functionality that makes the price worth it.

That being said, as a free utility, what's not to like.

It loads quick, intuitive interface, does one thing, and does it well, and the price is right.

As far as insulting one's intelligence, I'd say that that's also a bit of a stretch, but what would I know, I'm not intelligent enough to make a statement like that... :lol:
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:41 pm

I think what Robert was referring to is that the program essentially just adds pixels using a bicubic smoother, which is an available resampling method in Image Size in Photoshop Elements.

But, hey, if the software makes the process easier, adds some additional features -- and is free -- no harm using it!

(Extensis makes a very expensive professional version of this product, despite Photoshop CS3 having its own bicubic smoother, so there must be SOME benefit to using third-party software to do it.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:55 pm

You call yourselves professionals. Ha!
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:17 am

I feel the same way about people who can't drive a stick shift, Robert! ;)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:23 pm

I thought this was the ELEMENTS forum. I didn't know I was supposed to be behaving like a professional. 8-[ And some days I feel moderately boob-like. :oops:
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:50 am

I was remembering my days in boot camp. What a shock that was. They were very rough on us and everything had to be perfect. It had an ever-lasting effect on me.

I wonder what the giveaway of the day is today.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks